Diverse Divers discussion

Introduction > Members in Spotlight

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lili , Moderator (last edited Dec 13, 2018 11:10PM) (new)

Lili  Marcus (lilikmarcus) | 91 comments Mod
Hi Divers

First, thank you so much for joining us. Vinny and I were worried that we'd be alone in this endeavour. By joining us, we believe that you support diversity and we salute you. Through this book club, let's show how much Diversity in Literature matters. :)

Second, we want to know you more.
Tell us your name or nickname.
What genres do you read?
Aside from reading, do you also write? Blog? Vlog?
Are you a student like Vinny?
Or like me who's getting through adulting?
Any favorites? Books? Quirks? Pets?

Vinny and I will answer these below too. :)

Happy Diving,
Vinny and Lili

message 2: by Lili , Moderator (new)

I'm Lili

But Lili is a future pen name. My real name is Maricel but I'm used to Lili now. :) My parents are not proud. hehe. But they support my dream to be a published author someday. That dream started when I was 8 when I discovered the joy in reading. I used to read Mysteries/Crime/Suspense as a kid but now, I read every genre in the book industry.
I started blogging last year and I blog mostly about books. But I want my blog to be more personal so you might see personal stuffs and updates on my blog one of these days. I'm planning to adopt a hamster so you'll see it on my blog too.
And quirks? Read THIS

Thank you guys, and nice meeting you.

message 3: by ✦ Maica ✦ (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 1 comments Hellloooooo! I'm glad to be part of a reading community that supports diverse books! Admittedly, I haven't read as diversely as I could but I'm hoping that will change for 2019 :)

My name is Maica. I never had a nickname growing up so feel free to make one up for me if you'd like :) (Although some call me M)

I read almost every genre except non fiction and classics. It's not that I purposely try to avoid those books but I just haven't found one that really catches my eye. My favorite genre is historical fiction, fantasy and contemporary romance!

I also write short stories with hopes of getting published one day. *fingers crossed* I have also written tons of incomplete fanfics during my KPOP phase xD

I'm currently in my first year of college! I'm taking up Respiratory Therapy as my premed.

My favorite book is Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock! <3

message 4: by Lili , Moderator (new)

✦ Maica ✦ wrote: "Hellloooooo! I'm glad to be part of a reading community that supports diverse books! Admittedly, I haven't read as diversely as I could but I'm hoping that will change for 2019 :)

My name is Maica..."

Hi M, nice meeting you. :) I think M is a cool nickname so I'm just calling you that.
And same here, I'm planning to fill 2019 with Diverse Books. Hopefully through this book club, we can make it happen.

#HappyDiving

LaRonda (Flying Paperbacks) | 1 comments This is exciting!

Hey, my names LaRonda, a recent high school graduate and I've been blogging for a little over a year now. I mostly blog about YA books (and the majority are diverse reads <3 )but I've been branching out :)

I read a lot of Fantasy, Sci-Fi and Magical Realism (my top three favorite genres of course) but I'm open to anything. Never say never as I like to say XD One of my favorite books is Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann

Ah... what else... I have a dog, my favorite color is silver and I tend to dehydrate myself with too much coffee <3

message 6: by Lili , Moderator (new)

LaRonda (Flying Paperbacks) wrote: "This is exciting!

Hey, my names LaRonda, a recent high school graduate and I've been blogging for a little over a year now. I mostly blog about YA books (and the majority are diverse reads <3 )but..."

Hi LaRonda, we know each other through our blog but we never really chatted here... Thank you for joining us. And I need to read more Diverse books next year. Seriously, I should be ashamed of the number of Diverse I read this year. Too few. :)

Also Let's Talk About Love is in my TBR. :) Hope you enjoy reading with us. And if you have any suggestion, books or anything to improve our club, we'll be glad to hear it. Besides you're a Diverse Fan. :)

message 7: by Divine (new)

Divine (readivine) Whadduppp goize! You don't know how much I'm thankful for you when I saw an invitation to this group. It's pretty timely since I've decided to read more diverse books mainly from Asian authors and other #ownvoices books in the spectrum. :)

My real name is Divine but I love to be called by my invented name Mavence, just bcos it reminds me of Maven Calore. XD

I read almost everything but currently, I'm leaning more to epic fantasies, SFFs, and YA Fantasy. Right now, it's still a foreign territory but I'm reading more of these esp books by Brandon Sanderson.

I don't have a blog YET but it's under construction since I'm still kind of waist deep in school works. Also, I'm 20 and a 4th-year Architecture student in the PH and will be graduating next year! (Architecture is a 5 yr course btw) I just started to be more active here in GR since last April this year and it's been great! Joining a book club that's just recently formed will probably boost my confidence since we're all new here HAHHAHA.

Again thank you guys and I'm excited to read more books with you!

message 8: by Vinny, Moderator (new)

Vinny —.:* Film & Fiction (filmandfiction) | 28 comments Mod
Hi everyone! I'm Vinny and my nickname is... Vinny! 😂
The first time I got into reading (which was around 8 years old) I was super into Harry Potter (duh) and manga! I was obsessed with Detective Conan (I still am, though) which developed my interest towards detective/mystery/thriller genres! Soon, I started reading a lot of Agatha Christie's books and she's pretty much the author that I believe will have never disappoint me! I also read a lot of casual books during my teenagehood, like contemporary and romance.

Aside from reading, I also blogging and designing. I enjoyed both of them and Artsy Draft is pretty much a place where I pour my interest toward these two.

And yes, I'm a student! I'm currently taking courses for a master degree in marketing management and my thesis presentation is coming next week (I actually just received my schedule few hours ago!), so wish me luck!

OH! And I have two cats, Simba & Po!

Thank you everyone! It's really nice to meeting all of you!
#DiverseDivers #HappyDiving

message 9: by Vinny, Moderator (new)

Mavence wrote: "Whadduppp goize! You don't know how much I'm thankful for you when I saw an invitation to this group. It's pretty timely since I've decided to read more diverse books mainly from Asian authors and ..."

Hi Mavence! First of all, how can both of your names sounds really cool?! Not fair!
Totally kidding!

But thank you so much for joining us! YES. We're all new in here and we'll get through this together, ya hear me?! I'm excited to have you in this group and looking forward to hear your thoughts in our monthly discussion! :)

message 10: by Divine (new)

Divine (readivine) Vinny wrote: "Hi Mavence! First of all, how can both of your names sounds really cool?! Not fair!."

Hey Vinny! Don't worry I find your name pretty cool as well!!!! I also love Detective Conan and I have read one book by Agatha Christie w/c was probably her most famous work??? It's And Then There Were None. I have tbh I skipped the full meat of the book after the first few chapters and went straight to the spoilery epilogue BECAUSE I WAS RLY SCARED AHAHAH.

I'm soooo excitedd for this group!! Thank you for the warm welcome Vinny! 💕

message 11: by Shandra (last edited Dec 14, 2018 10:59PM) (new)

Shandra | 7 comments Thanks for starting up a Diverse Reading group! I love being able to read books which expand my world. Books offer me the opportunity to walk in any other shoes than my own though I admit, I do read a lot of #ownvoices fiction as a queer person who loves reading queer literature/romance. 

I'm Shandra -which is my legal first name- though most people online know me as Pesha -which is one of my middle names lol- which has been my online name since the internet was not remotely cool. I'm a fandom dinosaur. I date all the way back to the original Trekkies conventions where my very first "fan experience" happened when I was two months old; my father took me to a Trek convention with me in a fuzzy onesie my grandmother sewed to make me look like a Tribble and he had a photo taken with Leonard Nimoy holding me while William Shatner put his arm around my dad. I look like a bomb which is about to go off from the way Nimoy was holding me. It's one of the most amusing and embarrassing things which has ever happened to me and no, I don't even remember it. 

I'm an omnivore when it comes to reading so I do read nearly every genre. I don't read a lot of nonfiction outside of physics and military works. I'm not big on historic fiction unless it's very accurate. My #1 genre is horror. I love a lot of Asian horror works as well as those out of Sweden where seriously? Some of these folk gotta just be scaring themselves silly all the time. I read a ton of queerlit/romance. I'm a lesbian/genderqueer who falls in the high-functioning autistic (HFA) diagnostic spectrum. I am also d/hh which means I'm a person who integrates with hearing society though I am, myself, deaf/hard-of-hearing. 

Writing is a huge part of my life. I've been a published author since I was 18. I have nearly 20 years in the adult entertainment industry where I specialize in kink/fetish work. I have done mostly work inside the gay or lesbian circles, but kink/fetish isn't about sexual orientation as much as it is about sexual preference which means I have a very diverse resume. 

Once upon a time, I worked as a reviewer for a blog. I am #allrespect for bloggers. There is so much they put into sharing their love for literature and reading and the art of writing yet they aren't getting nearly enough credit for all they do. Authors tend to be pushy without always realizing they are or they don't care they're being pushy; readers complain about not enough giveaways or too many giveaways or not enough reviews or too many reviews. There's always some complaint happening. I can't do the blog thing myself any longer. I do read three on a fairly regular basis to keep up with things going on in the queer romance genre. 

I'm a disabled adult who writes for my only source of income. I have had an absurd amount of education. I was up to my dissertation in Biophysics when I had to leave my PhD program due to cancer. 

Oh! I'm a cancer kid who is now an adult. If you ever wonder what happens to the cancer kids who live? Usually they either stay in remission or they have continuous relapses. I'm the second type. It's a part of my life the way some people have phases where they date a jerk for a year or they take a random trip to China to photograph the Great Wall for a few months. My random jaunts are more visits to the oncologist. Adventures in Cancerland are not necessarily what anyone would call fun, but I'm still alive; I do have a sense of humor about it. I figure that means I'm winning in the big picture. 

My favorite book is The Bitterweed Path by Thomas Hal Phillips which is a gay romance work of literature from the 1950s which was re-released as a "rediscovered classic" when I was in undergrad school. I cannot tell you how much this book speaks to me. It's beautiful. It's painful. It's life as a queer in the South. I could not be happier with this book. 

I'm also a sucker for trope/cliche fiction and anything featuring monsterboy/monstergirl characters. I'm the one who wondered why the Beast had to turn into a Prince. I thought he was cool enough before. 

Quirks = I ramble. Obviously. 

As for a pet, I have an ancient old man cat named Falkor who is 14 years old and was born on September 11. He's more family than a pet. I admit I treat him as if he's human. So far I haven't reached the stage where I "hear" him responding to me in anything other than cat sounds, but I do think he understands emotions as he's a very fickle beast who only shares his attention when I'm at my lowest. Yes, by the way, he was named after the character in the Michael Ende book "The Neverending Story." It was a childhood favorite.

This is enough rambling from me. I'd erase some, but I honestly prefer people to realize I'm a little odd from the beginning so there's no assumption I'm anything other than what I am. 

I'm glad to be here! Hopefully I can contribute to upcoming discussions and group reads! 

message 12: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lynnomadicworlds) Hi, everyone. This is such a fun change from other groups. @Lili Thanks for the invite. So I'm Lyn, glad to join in. Diverse should be one of my middle names lol. I'm an eclectic reader and I read pretty much every genre - horror, fantasy, sci-fi, paranormal romance, contemporary romance both in adult and YA. I also like middle grade. I'm a hermit most of the time so sorry in advance if I'm not active as much. It's the main reason I don't join groups but I hope you guys will bear with me.

message 13: by Lili , Moderator (new)

Lyn* Nomad *Worlds await* wrote: "Hi, everyone. This is such a fun change from other groups. @Lili Thanks for the invite. So I'm Lyn, glad to join in. Diverse should be one of my middle names lol. I'm an eclectic reader and I read ..."

Hi Lyn... thanks for joining us. :) I read every genre too but i'm new to non-fic and middle-grade. hope we can find a good middle-grade book that promotes diversity so we can feature it here someday. And if you have diverse books in mind that you want us to feature, feel free to recommend/suggest it to us.

We're gonna have a place for all book suggestions. Also please bear with Vinny and I, we're still working on how to make this book club better. :) :)

Thanks again for joining and looking forward to discuss books with you... :)

message 14: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lynnomadicworlds) @Lili Thanks! I can recommend some cool middle grade books if you like. I also read non-fic 🙂

message 15: by Mark (new)

Mark Well, skimming the replies so far, I think I can safely say I'm by far the oldest member of the group (71). I am a retired newspaper journalist and have loved reading since I was a kid. I read a lot of scifi in my junior high period (which explains why Robert Heinlein is more familiar to me than, say, Samuel Delany), but now, I split my reading among fiction, history, science, religion and a smattering of graphic novels.

I have read (but not widely enough) several Asian, African and older European authors, with a lesser connection to South and Central America. I would especially like to expand my exposure to Latin American fiction, without it having to be magical realism, and I would also love to have unexpected suggestions in translated literature.

message 16: by Lili , Moderator (new)

Mark wrote: "Well, skimming the replies so far, I think I can safely say I'm by far the oldest member of the group (71). I am a retired newspaper journalist and have loved reading since I was a kid. I read a lo..."

Hi mark, nice meeting you and we're glad to have you here. And what a great idea. We should have translated books in the future... But lol, all I could ever thing right now is The girl with the Dragon Tattoo. :) :)

It's great you read variety of genres. When I was a mere kid, i used to read just one genre-Crime/Suspense, usually involves courtroom dramas too. When I reached teenage, i fell in love with Romance genre (because teenagers. haha) but now, I'm 26, i'm looking for more serious reads. :) :)

If you have any recommendations for me, I'd love to hear it. :) Thank you.

message 17: by Lili , Moderator (new)

Shandra wrote: "Thanks for starting up a Diverse Reading group! I love being able to read books which expand my world. Books offer me the opportunity to walk in any other shoes than my own though I admit, I do rea..."

Hi Shandra,
Pesha is a good nickname but Shandra is amazing too. That memory in Trek Convention is so cute. To be honest I don't have that kind of childhood experience. I'm an introvert since I was a kid and prefers staying home rather than going out. :) I'm still like that now. My friends think my life is so boring. haha...

But actually it;'s not.. I'm happier when i'm in my room and reading or writing. i'm an aspiring author, by the way. :) This, this group is our way of supporting diversity and meeting peoplewho have the same love not only to reading but to diversity as well.

I don't really have a memorable experience regarding diversity, I'm straight, though most people think I'm gay because of my strong desire not to marry. :) :) I'm ok whatever they think.

But wait, WAIT... you're an author....I'll add your books on my TBR... :) And maybe we can also consider one of your books as one of our book picks someday. Also we'll have a place here in the group for authors where you can promote your works and author links such as Amazon. :)

And aaaw,I'd love to meet your cat. It's actually natural you consider him as family rather than pet. if I have a pet, I'd do the same. I'm that kind of person who name her things. Seriously, my laptop, the one I'm using right now as i type this message, is named LIMEY... And I love him. Yes, it's a HIM. Obviously, I'm not normal and you're odd, you said. Let's be great friends. You can Dm me here anytime you want.

Lastly,you're a cancer survivor... I salute you. I really don't have anything to say except you're an inspiration. :) :)

---Lili

message 18: by Tyler (last edited Dec 15, 2018 09:38PM) (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) Hi, I'm Stephanie. Steph works too though lol. I go by Wickedjr/Wickedjr89 on social media a lot. I read all over the place. My favorite genres are probably horror and contemporary. I also love paranormal romance and urban fantasy. I will read all genres though, just to different degrees.

Aside from reading I also make booktube videos, have a book blog, play video games. I want to get into drawing.

I'm not a student. In ways I adult but i'm also disabled (VACTERL Association among other things) and can't work. I have 2 cats and 1 dog.

For favorite books even though I say it's hard to narrow it down a couple come to mind immediently. Not Otherwise Specified by Hannah Moskowitz. I read it a few years ago, at nearly 27 years old it was the first time I had ever seen a bisexual character anywhere, and i've known i'm bi since I was 13. That book will always hold a special place in my heart. Also The Abyss Surrounds Us duology by Emily Skrutskie because bad-ass lesbian pirates and genetically engineered sea monsters.

Glad to be here :)

message 19: by itchy (new)

itchy (amadeusitchon) | 1 comments hello everyone;
just so you know i am very terrible at introductions

i am itchy

i read anything but prefer the work of dead authors (that way i do not have to wait);
i primarily like fantasy and horror;
recently i've been switching back and forth between techno-thrillers and crime/police procedurals

i like to spot plot holes (ever since i read king point out one in defoe's robinson crusoe) and various literary errors (the biblical typos in gaiman-and-pratchett's good omens are hilarious)

message 20: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca L. (beckiewrites) | 7 comments Hello, Friends!

My name is Rebecca and I'm a voracious reader. I am a Filipina with a visual disability working in a field dominated by men, so I'm always hungry for diverse literature. I'm tired of not seeing myself or others like me represented in books, movies, and television.

I am particularly passionate about authentic representation of people with disabilities. Few tropes make me angrier than writing that stereotypes people who are blind or have a disability.

I blog about faith and literature (especially diverse books) at BeckieWrites.com

I really enjoy reading indie books and selfpublished authors because the indie scene makes room for voices that have been traditionally marginalized by society.

I love poetry and published my first chapbook through KDP on December 1st

I'm also looking for more Goodreads friends because few of my IRL friends are bookworms.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!

message 21: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audeic) Hello,
I’m Audrey and I was very pleased to be invited to this diverse group. I’m an avid reader of all genres (substantially all fiction - but for Boys in the Boat, which read like fiction) and so glad that now that I’m retired (lawyer) I am free to read what I want when I like.
From the various intros I see that I’m the 2d oldest in this group but I believe we all have something to learn from each other regardless of age. I am bi-coastal and live on both the east and west coast ( - I think that qualifies me as “diverse”).
I do not blog, but that doesn’t mean I don’t opine.
I am looking forward to seeing where this group takes me.
Thanks for the invite.

message 22: by bill (new)

bill (bmorgens) | 11 comments Hello and thanks for the kind words:

I am Bill Morgenstein, author of The "Crazy Life of a Kid From Brooklyn" series. (https://thecrazylifeofbill.com).
I enjoy reading History, biographies, non fiction and occasional good fiction such as "Infiltraion" by Lee Dobson. My latest recommendation is my friends memoirs: "Life in a shoe" by Norman Finn.
To sign up for my monthly newsletter or free chapters from my book go to www.thecrazylifeofbill.com

message 23: by Lili , Moderator (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Hi, I'm Stephanie. Steph works too though lol. I go by Wickedjr/Wickedjr89 on social media a lot. I read all over the place. My favorite genres are probably horror and contemporary. I also love par..."

Hi Steph...

I think we're bit similar when it comes to genres we read. We read every genre but we have certain limits in each of them. Like I'll read a Psychological Thriller but it shouldn't be SO twisted, I'd be disgusted after reading it. hehe... I'm like that. That's why sometimes i ask for little spoilers. :)

i'm not a student too, though my family have been trying to make me come back to school, I'm 26, but I'm focusing on writing now. I don't mind if it doesn't pay me. I have a dream and the last time I was in school, my depression almost kill me. So, nope, I'm staying with writing for now. i'm sorry that you can't work but at least you have so many hobbies. And arts/drawing is perfect. :)

And wow, have you shared your links on our Social Media Discussion and to the ones for bloggers? COz I'd love to check your videos and blogs. :)Also, I'm not familiar with the books you mentioned but I'll check them out..

Welcome to the group and hope you've voted for our January book and read with us next month. :)

message 24: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) Lili wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Hi, I'm Stephanie. Steph works too though lol. I go by Wickedjr/Wickedjr89 on social media a lot. I read all over the place. My favorite genres are probably horror and contemporar..."

I just ment I read some genres more than others but I do read all over the place. I don't really have limits like that, i'll read anything no matter how twisted, heck the more twisted the better to me, even if it does leave me disturbed.

Yes i've shared my social media links in that discussion :)

I have a lot booked for January sorry :( And I have my own group that I have to prioritize. I'll try to read a group read at some point.

message 25: by Lili , Moderator (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Lili wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Hi, I'm Stephanie. Steph works too though lol. I go by Wickedjr/Wickedjr89 on social media a lot. I read all over the place. My favorite genres are probably horror an..."

Aaaah I wish I could be like you.... i can't read something I know will leave a bad taste in my mouth. I used to though. :)

I'll look for your links. :) And no worries, just read with us when you can. :)

message 26: by Lili , Moderator (new)

it'chy wrote: "hello everyone;
just so you know i am very terrible at introductions

i am itchy

i read anything but prefer the work of dead authors (that way i do not have to wait);
i primarily like fantasy and ..."

You're one interesting person and I mean that in the best way possible. :) :) That was one good reasoning to prefer works by dead authors. And spotting plot holes. I do love when I spot plotholes but I'd rather not coz I don't want to ruin my reading.

Welcome to the group itchy. :) I'm seriously looking forward to chatting with you. :)

Fizah(Books tales by me) | 2 comments Hey Everyone, I am Fizah, Thank you Lily for inviting me :)
I am not too old in reading English literature, It's only been 1 year and 2 months I've started reading English literature but I am reading native literature for like forever, I even learnt to read and write by reading stories, not from school :D
I started my blog at the same time I started to read last year, I don't read all genres but trying with time and yes I am also on bookstagram(By name of Bookstalesbyme everywhere)
Oh, and I am a master's student so it is always a struggle in finding time to read.
I am looking fwd to interact with you guys :)

message 28: by Lili , Moderator (new)

Rebecca wrote: "Hello, Friends!

My name is Rebecca and I'm a voracious reader. I am a Filipina with a visual disability working in a field dominated by men, so I'm always hungry for diverse literature. I'm tired..."

Hi Beckie...

I'm following your blog for a while now but I had no idea you're a Filipina. And by the way, kudos to you despite having a visual disability, you work in a field dominated by the opposite sex and showing them you can. And yeah, i'm also hungry for proper presentation of disabled persons in Literature and Films. Maybe we'll find one through this club. Vinny and I are working on finding great books that'll make for good discussions regarding Diversity. :)

By the way, my blog will feature more faith-related posts next year too. I had a separate account for everything personal but decided to just merge the two. :)

Welcome to the group Beckie and enjoy your stay with us. Also have you voted for our January book?

message 29: by bill (new)

bill (bmorgens) | 11 comments It's been many years since I have been to your country, after being invited there by the Philippine Consul to Korea (interesting story in my book). I still have fond memories of the people, country and the Arroz Caldo which was made for me by a kind family in Baguio.

I applaud your spunk and accomplishments.

message 30: by Lili , Moderator (new)

Audrey wrote: "Hello,
I’m Audrey and I was very pleased to be invited to this diverse group. I’m an avid reader of all genres (substantially all fiction - but for Boys in the Boat, which read like fiction) and so..."

Hi Audrey, I'm Lili and the other group moderator is Vinny. :)

Anyway, I'm literally grinning while reading your introduction because you mentioned you're a retired lawyer. I have this fascination with lawyers and law. The very first genre I've ever read is written by John Grisham. I was 8 and since then I fell in love with Crime/thriller/Mystery with lots of court dramas and police procedure. I used to read John Grisham and Michael Connelly. It was not healthy for an 8 y/o. My mom says she was scared what I would become. Either a lawyer or an outlaw. Haha

I wanted to be a lawyer but decided to be a writer. :)

Anyway, welcome to the group and I look forward to our discussions. I know I'll learn so much from you. And I know this would be hard to believe but i have friends in all ages. I literally had classmates I didn't like but befriended their parents or their grannies. :) :)

message 31: by Lili , Moderator (new)

bill wrote: "Hello and thanks for the kind words:

I am Bill Morgenstein, author of The "Crazy Life of a Kid From Brooklyn" series. (https://thecrazylifeofbill.com).
I enjoy reading History, biographies, non fi..."

Hi Bill. :) :)

I'm planning to read more nonfiction next year so I might look at your profile to see what I should read. And will check out your links.

Thank you for joining us. :)

message 32: by Lili , Moderator (new)

Lyn* Nomad *Worlds await* wrote: "@Lili Thanks! I can recommend some cool middle grade books if you like. I also read non-fic 🙂"

I'll DM you. hehe

message 33: by Lili , Moderator (new)

Fizah(Books tales by me) wrote: "Hey Everyone, I am Fizah, Thank you Lily for inviting me :)
I am not too old in reading English literature, It's only been 1 year and 2 months I've started reading English literature but I am read..."

Hi Fizah... Glad we can connect here too. I know we're already following each other on all social media, including our blogs. :)

And learning english through reading? I can relate. I started reaidng english novels when I was 8, that was 18 yrs ago. And i lived in a province where we usually use a dialect instead of our National Language and certainly not English. I learned from books too.

Good luck on your studies and hope you can read with us soon.:)

message 34: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitreadslit) | 3 comments Hello everyone! My name is Whitney, sometimes I go by Whit. I have a blog called Whit Reads Lit. https://whitreadslit.com/
You should go check it out! :)

I like to read a lot of different genres, but I tend to gravitate towards historical fiction, YA contemporary and fantasy, and Christian fiction. I also enjoy a good memoir.

I am trying to get through adulting ;) I work in a flower shop and have a wedding singing business on the side. I have a beardy husband and two pup-pups. We are also in the process of adopting from China!!

Aside from reading all the live long day, I also enjoy singing, hiking, playing The Sims, and watching way too many YouTube videos. I'm excited to dive into some diverse books with all of you!! :)

message 35: by bill (new)

bill (bmorgens) | 11 comments Lili wrote: "bill wrote: "Hello and thanks for the kind words:

I enjoy reading History, biogra..."

Thank you Lili. I hope that you enjoy the book. Note that all net royalties go mostly to Cancer Research in honor of my eldest son.

message 36: by Nahid (new)

Nahid Rachlin (nahidr) | 5 comments Hello, almost all my published novels, and short stories, as well as memoir have to do with cultural diversity, characters caught between two cultures, trying to find what they can truly call home. Here is a brief bio of me: Nahid Rachlin went to Columbia University Writing Program on a Doubleday-Columbia Fellowship and then went on to Stanford University writing program on a Wallace Stegner Fellowship. Her publications include a memoir, PERSIAN GIRLS (Penguin), four novels, JUMPING OVER FIRE (City Lights), FOREIGNER (W.W. Norton), MARRIED TO A STRANGER (E.P.Dutton), CROWD OF SORROWS, a novella, (Kindle Singles). She has a short story collection, A Way Home (Ravenna Press) published in November 2018.

message 37: by Vinny, Moderator (new)

Whitney wrote: "Hello everyone! My name is Whitney, sometimes I go by Whit. I have a blog called Whit Reads Lit. https://whitreadslit.com/

I like to read a lot of different genres..."

Hi Whitney! I just checked out your blog and it's gorgeous! Love your bookish contents along with the pretty purple theme!

That's a great variation you got there. I've never read a memoir, so I think 2019 will be the year where I can try to explore my readings. :) And good luck with your adoption!

Glad to have you on this group, Whit! x

message 38: by Vinny, Moderator (new)

Nahid wrote: "Hello, almost all my published novels, and short stories, as well as memoir have to do with cultural diversity, characters caught between two cultures, trying to find what they can truly call home...."

Hey Nahid! Glad to have you joining us here. And congratulations on your massive publications. That's really inspiring! :)

message 39: by Nahid (new)

Nahid Rachlin (nahidr) | 5 comments Thank you so much. Here are two examples of my published work. You can look at my profile for my published books, among them Persian Girls and A Way Home. You will get the idea how diversity is central to all of them.

message 40: by Lili , Moderator (new)

Vinny wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Hello everyone! My name is Whitney, sometimes I go by Whit. I have a blog called Whit Reads Lit. https://whitreadslit.com/

I like to read a lot of ..."

Hi Whit... We already know each other so it's great you and Vinny met here. :) :) Welcome to the group. :)

message 41: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) Hello everyone!

My name is Bea. I'm a Registered Nurse from the Philippines and I blog at Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic https://confessionsofapinaybookaholic... ; I read in random genres but mostly I read and review romance novels in all age groups (YA, NA, Adult).

My Top 3 favorite books/series are Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, In the Company of Killers series by J.A. Redmerski, Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.

Joining this book will help me find more diverse books to read. :) Can't wait to buddy read with you all!

message 42: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitreadslit) | 3 comments Vinny wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Hello everyone! My name is Whitney, sometimes I go by Whit. I have a blog called Whit Reads Lit. https://whitreadslit.com/

I like to read a lot of ..."

Thank you Vinny!! :)

message 43: by Lili , Moderator (new)

Beatrice wrote: "Hello everyone!

My name is Bea. I'm a Registered Nurse from the Philippines and I blog at Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic https://confessionsofapinaybookaholic... ; I read in random..."

Hi Bea,.. thank you so much for joining us...We can't wait to buddyread with you too. January is nearly approaching so we'll be very very soon.

Also, I didn't know you're a registered nurse. :)

Misty's Book Space (mistysbookspace) Hello everyone,

My name is Misty and I am a stay at home wife with 2 dogs and a pot belly pig. We had 3 dogs but unfortunately one of them got loose and ran off and we haven't been able to find him. I have been blogging for almost 2 1/2 years now. I read pretty much every genre but I love romance. Aside from reading I spend a lot of time painting my nails (literally like every other day) and I love listening to music and watching my favorite TV shows and movies on Netflix. I can't pick an all time favorite book but one of my favorites from this year is Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli. I look forward to participating in this group and reading more diversely.

message 45: by Lili , Moderator (new)

Misty wrote: "Hello everyone,

My name is Misty and I am a stay at home wife with 2 dogs and a pot belly pig. We had 3 dogs but unfortunately one of them got loose and ran off and we haven't been able to find h..."

Hi Misty... Glad you can join us.

By the way, we'll be having a 'Dumplin' movie night as a part of our reading on January.. Have you watched it?

Misty's Book Space (mistysbookspace) Lili wrote: "Misty wrote: "Hello everyone,

My name is Misty and I am a stay at home wife with 2 dogs and a pot belly pig. We had 3 dogs but unfortunately one of them got loose and ran off and we haven't been ..."

Hey Lili!!

Yes I have already watched it but I don't mind watching it again. I have already read 75% of it but I am saving the last 25% of it for next month so can join in with y'all.

message 47: by Lili , Moderator (new)

Misty wrote: "Lili wrote: "Misty wrote: "Hello everyone,

My name is Misty and I am a stay at home wife with 2 dogs and a pot belly pig. We had 3 dogs but unfortunately one of them got loose and ran off and we ..."

Yes!!!.. I'm excited to read and watch it...I started a 2 discussion threads for the book. One is for a non-spoiler discussion and the other for spoilery reviews where you can share your review links too. :0 I'll send the discussion links later....

Looking forward to read and chat with you Misty. :)

message 48: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (endless_chapters) | 3 comments Lili wrote: "Hi Divers

First, thank you so much for joining us. Vinny and I were worried that we'd be alone in this endeavour. By joining us, we believe that you support diversity and we salute you. Through t..."

Hi! Thanks for inviting me :)
I am Jessica, no nicknames haha. I read anything basically, but my favourite genres are YA and general fiction. I do blog, drawing and would like to write some day. Next year is going to be my final semester as an undergraduate student (pray hard!)

message 49: by Nahid (new)

Nahid Rachlin (nahidr) | 5 comments Hello, I am writer of several novels, a memoir and a short story collection, all published. by major publishers and received excellent reviews. You can find them listed on my profile. Among them are Foreigner, Persian Girls. They all have diversity at the heart of their characterization and plots. Please look them up since it is the focus of this group.

thelibraryofalexandra (thelibraryofalexandraa) | 10 comments Hi everyone!!! I'm so excited to be a part of this, by the way!

I'm known online as Allie, but my full name is Alexandra :) I love to read literally anything that tickles my pickle - if I find it interesting I will literally read it and gobble it up. I blog about all things bookish over at my blog and I write lame poetry in my spare time that I also publish on my blog!

I just finished my most recent degree in teaching and next year I will be starting my research masters in the sociology of education - and it's sort of a job, as I'm getting paid from the university to complete my research through a scholarship, so I will be also starting to adult more and I am terrified.

I have so many favourite books omg, but the one that I always turn to for this question is 'A Room of One's Own' by Virginia Woolf because she is fierce!

I can't wait to get to know everyone !!

Allie xxx

« previous 1