2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2019 > Tee's 200+

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Talea (new)

Talea | 9 comments As a homeschooling parent, I read quite a few children's books, classics, autism/special needs, and educational books throughout the year. I made it past 200 this year, hopefully, this next year there will be more beginning chapter books as my struggling reader is finding more and more joy in books.

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Talea, I am a homeschooling parent too, and in the same way, I find myself reading several books with my children. I love it because I read so many of the books I didn't when I was in school, and I get to discover the newest Kid-lit. What are some of your favorites?
Last year, ours was Matilda.

message 3: by Talea (new)

Talea | 9 comments There are soo many! My daughter has fallen in love with the American Girl books and my son has gone from Captain Underpants to Naruto when it comes to series. We have enjoyed King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry, Old Yeller by Fred Gipson, and The Endling by Kathrine Applegate have been hits with the kids too. We love Laura Ingalls Wilder, the Help Me Be Good books by Joy Berry, and anything by Roald Dahl is a hit here. Oops almost forgot, my youngest has discovered the Berenstain Bears and we’ve been reading those a lot here lately. Personally I’ve enjoyed the most the one about Wakulla I just finished. It was like looking through history at my grandmother’s hometown. I knew so many of the places and related to the smell of the sulphur springs. :)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments If you loved Laura Ingalls Wilder, be sure to read Pollyanna and Anne of Green Gables. Both were wonderful!

message 5: by Talea (new)

Talea | 9 comments I’ve not read Pollyanna yet, but Anne Shirley is a long time kindred spirit. Most of my parenting has been boys (oldest is 26) with my daughter (9) being the only girl. With three brothers she is very much a tomboy and has only recently started enjoying things like dolls and jewelry let alone stories about girls. What got her interested was learning that women have only had the right to vote since the last century. She got mad and learned all she could about the 19th amendment and what it took to make it happen. Now when we study history or science we look up women that were important to the topic. She was really mad to learn that girl in some countries aren’t educated even today. She at least knows Anne Shirley as we have watched the PBS version, though I still like the Sullivan version better. So many awesome writers, and yes, it is nice to not have them have to be about wizards in boarding school or hobbits with rings, or Pokémon, or NASCAR. (Nothing wrong with them, just nice to have more variety and a ‘little’ less testosterone. ;) )

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Harry Potter is a staple in this house. Someone gave my daughter the first book and she went wild after that. She's 12 and has read more than anyone I've ever met. She gets through a 300 page book in a day! We have read everything from The Secret Garden to Matilda to Winnie the Pooh to Harry Potter to The Babysitters Club to The Selection Series. She even got her hands on Twilight before I could stop her. We go to the library a lot, and she will grab a book and just start reading while I meet up with other moms.

I have 3 boys too! My oldest is 19 and was never the biggest reader, his brothers on other hand aren't as enthusiastic as my daughter, but will read just about anything you put in front of them.

message 7: by Talea (new)

Talea | 9 comments That is awesome that she enjoys reading that much. We love the library here too, even if it is small. I can remember as a kid going to the library at least once a week. There was a three book limit at most of them for kids, and I’d finish them in no time. So many you mentioned I have read either on my own or with my kids. I stress to my kids that learning to read is the beginning to whatever and wherever you want to go in life. When I see my children reading on their own my heart swells, even more if it’s not from a screen.