What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > children’s Christmas chapter book with old fashion feel - cardinal?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K (new)

K | 16 comments I got this children’s chapter book from the library when I was 9 or 10 (so about 1989ish)...but it was already an older book (I’m pretty sure) at that point. It had the feel of a Bobbsey Twins type book...like something from the 50s or 60s. It was set around Christmas time. A young girl makes a present (hangs ornaments made of peanut butter/birdseed...something along those lines) for a cardinal in a snowy tree in her yard. I want to say maybe either she or a younger sister had the flu or something like that? It’s very fuzzy but I remember the bird being central to the story.

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16228 comments Was the whole book about Christmas, or just that one chapter?

message 3: by K (new)

K | 16 comments My recollection (which is very fuzzy), is that the whole book was set around Christmas. I want to say she was finishing up school before Christmas break in the beginning, and was excited, but then once the vacation started either she or maybe a younger sibling got a bad cold, and there was a snowstorm, and then somehow the bird thing came about...like the idea was developed to cheer someone up by seeing the beautiful cardinal (or maybe a robin) in the tree, attracted by the bird feed ornaments they made.

message 4: by K (new)

K | 16 comments I think I solved it. I think it’s Snowbound with Betsy by Carolyn Haywood, from her Betsy series. I also really loved Betsy’s Little Star (her little sister’s name was Star). I’m not sure if the whole bird scene thing is accurate (I’ll have to get my hands on a copy and re-read, but apparently a family named the Byrds who get stuck in the storm end up staying with Betsy and her family, so maybe that’s what I’m thinking of. Off to find a copy!

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16228 comments Hope that's it! Let us know if it's not.

Snowbound With Betsy for the link.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Karen ~~
Please let us know yea or nay. Yea = we mark the book as "solved" and shelve it. Nay = we keep looking. Please, we crave closure.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37806 comments Mod
Bumping since Karen posted recently.