What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Thriller/Mystery I read 10 years ago about a woman murdered in her office. Spoilers.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scafalon (last edited Dec 13, 2018 07:22PM) (new)

Scafalon SPOILERS AHEAD

Hi everyone,

SPOILERS AHEAD

I read this book over 10 years ago. The protagonist is this therapist/doctor who finds himself in somewhat of a pickle one day: his secretary/assistant is murdered (brutally?) in her office while he's not there.

The book opens with a random character walking down a street. He's thinking about himself: something's happened and he's relieved about it. So relieved, in fact, that as he collapses and his vision starts to fade, he doesn't fret; he feels so relieved. He's been murdered.

2 or so detectives try and solve this case of the woman.

There's a flashback: The protagonist is single (divorced?). He brings the future secretary home to his apartment (house?). She's in a bad emotional state for some reason. He cooks her a meal lets her shower. She finds out he's been recently divorced and tries to have intercourse. He resists, however, because he knows it's wrong, and they end up just talking.

Flash forward to the present and she's lying in pool of blood (her head has been battered in with a blunt object?)

There's also a scene in which one of his clients (an old woman perhaps) gives him signals. She wants to have sex. She's been giving signals for quite a while, but he always resists.

The story ends with the revelation that one of the people trying to solve the case (possibly one of the detectives) was the murderer. He murdered the guy on the street and he murdered the secretary. He did it to cover up some other crime. His aim was to murder the protagonist as well.

edit: if I recall correctly, the cover of the book had a picture of 'the comedy and tragedy masks' on it (as in the happy and sad faces we know from theater)

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33443 comments Mod
Scafalon, early in the book is the therapist/psychiatrist/doctor the primary suspect in his secretary/assistant's murder?

What is the story's time period and location - country, region, big city/small town?

message 3: by Scafalon (new)

Scafalon Kris wrote: "Scafalon, early in the book is the therapist/psychiatrist/doctor the primary suspect in his secretary/assistant's murder?

What is the story's time period and location - country, region, big city/s..."

Hi Kris,

I don't quite recall, but I'd wager that he was a suspect. She was his secretary/assistant after all.

I don't recall the exact time period, but this should be mid-late 20th century. I think the country was the US/UK

message 4: by kelgar01 (new)

kelgar01 | 183 comments It seems like I've read this, possibly something by Jonathan Kellerman?

message 5: by Scafalon (new)

Scafalon kelgar01 wrote: "It seems like I've read this, possibly something by Jonathan Kellerman?"

I'll have a look at his books

message 6: by Kate (last edited May 03, 2019 07:30AM) (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Scafalon ~~

You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 113 where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!