Tournament of Books discussion

2019 TOB - the Tourney > Final Round!!!

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (last edited Mar 28, 2019 10:46AM) (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1737 comments FINAL HEAD to HEAD:
Warlight v. My Sister the Serial Killer

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1737 comments man, my bracket predictions are never accurate, but this isn't even close! So excited Sister came back via the Zombie (and a reason I love love love the zombies so much!)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I did worse on my predictions than ever before. I was sad to see my favorite dismissed early, as usual, but so happy that MStSK made it to end. No matter how today's match goes, Braithwaite's great book gained a lot of readers (including me). I'll be eager to read whatever she publishes next.

message 4: by Amy (last edited Mar 29, 2019 07:21AM) (new)

message 5: by Alison (new)

Alison Hardtmann (ridgewaygirl) | 463 comments Amy wrote: "It’s live!!
www.themorningnews.org/TOB"

I just keep getting a "page not found" message. Argh!

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 29, 2019 07:15AM) (new)

Did we crash the ToB site? I keep getting an error message! Did Ayoola kill the rooster?

message 7: by Bob (new)

Bob Lopez | 391 comments No spoilers! I keep getting a white page...did it crash?!

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicaxmaria) | 30 comments It's working on my PC but not on my phone...

message 9: by Bob (new)

Bob Lopez | 391 comments Got it on firefox--chrome not so much.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1737 comments try it again - replaced the link and hopefully it will work this time. I was getting white screen too after it took to long to download.

https://themorningnews.org/tob/2019/c...

message 11: by Alison (new)

Alison Hardtmann (ridgewaygirl) | 463 comments Amy wrote: "try it again - replaced the link and hopefully it will work this time. I was getting white screen too after it took to long to download.

https://themorningnews.org/tob/2019/c......"

Thank you, Amy! I couldn't even access it from The Morning News site.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1737 comments and this is why I love the tournament!!! I thought I was being too optimistic in my predictions yesterday - turns out, not nearly enough!

message 13: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 132 comments I read top to bottom this time, no peeking...wow. What a treat to read all these different takes.

Seems it might be time for literary authors to get back to the arts of plotting and pacing, maybe.

message 14: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 647 comments Knock me over with a feather....I’m surprised but oh so pleased!

message 15: by Jan (new)

Jan (janrowell) | 1099 comments Same, Janet!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 642 comments Interesting! This feels like a year that Stephen Florida could have made it farther (still up there with White Tears on tournament losses in my mind.)

message 17: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) | 71 comments I was excited to see a tournament of champions is being seriously considered! I’ve only read four of the winners, how embarrassing.

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 600 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "Interesting! This feels like a year that Stephen Florida could have made it farther (still up there with White Tears on tournament losses in my mind.)"

In 3 more years they'll have enough winners to have a Tournament of Tournaments!

message 19: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 132 comments I'm still hoping for the day when the winner accepts the prize...

message 20: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) | 71 comments Didn’t one author do so?

message 21: by Adam (new)

Adam (adamstephenhall) Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "Interesting! This feels like a year that Stephen Florida could have made it farther (still up there with White Tears on tournament losses in my mind.)"

Stephen Florida and White Tears are my two favorite ToB contenders. Except for The Animators. And the Sport of Kings. And...

Well, two OF my favorites.

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1737 comments I got the feeling from at least a couple decision paragraphs that the judges were watching our commentary & their vote on Sister influenced by the commentariat. That would be so amazing! The people have been heard!

message 23: by Bretnie (new)

Bretnie | 504 comments Ok, I went all out nerd and went ahead and created a list of all the tournament winners:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

I'm so excited about this possibility! So many great books on this list!

Also, this will be my motivation to finally read Wolf Hall.

message 24: by Kip (new)

Kip Kyburz (kybrz) | 239 comments Bretnie wrote: "Ok, I went all out nerd and went ahead and created a list of all the tournament winners:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

I'm so excited ab..."

So is this a 15 year celebration? I always thought it would be when we have 16 winners!

message 25: by Bretnie (new)

Bretnie | 504 comments Kip wrote: "So is this a 15 year celebration? I always thought it would be when we have 16 winners! "

I have been assuming that they'd run their usual tournament in March 2020 and that would make the 16th - and then they'd hold the winners tournament maybe in the summer or fall? I don't know!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 642 comments Bretnie wrote: "Also, this will be my motivation to finally read Wolf Hall."

I read Bring Up the Bodies and really struggle to find motivation to go backwards, apart from a distinct feeling of already knowing the story from studying history (and, ahem, watching the tv version both from Wolf Hall and The Tudors, which was excellent in its own way) no matter how well written.....

message 27: by Kip (new)

Kip Kyburz (kybrz) | 239 comments Bretnie wrote: "Kip wrote: "So is this a 15 year celebration? I always thought it would be when we have 16 winners! "

I have been assuming that they'd run their usual tournament in March 2020 and that would make ..."

Ahhhh, that makes sense. Also, I was busy building a list of winners, when you posted your list so the nerding out is consistent on this group.

Wolf Hall is fantastic. I am thrilled to finally be able to make the Ali Smith plunge, I had been debating where to start and now I will start with the Rooster!

message 28: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 132 comments Bretnie wrote: "Ok, I went all out nerd and went ahead and created a list of all the tournament winners..."

Wow, thanks Bretnie! What an interesting list when you see the winners all together. If this happens I'm looking forward most to having an excuse to re-read of Orphan Master's Son.

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1737 comments Kip wrote: "So this is a 15 year celebration...?"

it sounded like a possible double tourney: maybe back to back 16th year tournament followed by tournament of tournaments.

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1737 comments Jenny - I’m with you. Loved Bring Up the Bodies especially because I wasn’t nearly as familiar with the history as Wolf Hall. Have procrastinated WH due to size and feeling as if it’s well-trod territory (and the TV adaptations WERE great)

message 31: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1737 comments Kip - be warned. I don’t consider Ali Smith “difficult” but I always have to adjust my reading goggles with her - she has a really unique voice that is a definite switch from other reading material. It’s magical.

message 32: by Kip (new)

Kip Kyburz (kybrz) | 239 comments Amy wrote: "Kip - be warned. I don’t consider Ali Smith “difficult” but I always have to adjust my reading goggles with her - she has a really unique voice that is a definite switch from other reading material..."

Oooohhh, magical sounds nice. But this warning explains the disparity between friend's reviews of her books.

message 33: by lark (last edited Mar 29, 2019 10:54AM) (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 132 comments I've read Wolf Hall four times! It typically wouldn't be my kind of book but I love the way Mantel inhabited this man who had been so successfully painted as the #1 bad-guy politico in A Man for All Seasons, re-imagining Cromwell into someone who could have been the most honest and compassionate man in Henry VIII's court. It made me think a lot about how history is shaped.

message 34: by Melissa (last edited Mar 29, 2019 12:17PM) (new)

Melissa (melissabeez) | 19 comments It did take me a moment to get my sea legs with Ali Smith's "The Accidental."

The story is a bit odd, but in an edgy and appealing way for those that like a little tense and weird feel in their novels. What took the most getting used to was the stream of consciousness writing and the shift of narrator's for each chapter.

I described it as a "fun house of mirrors" experience in my review & after all these years, I'd say that's still pretty accurate.

message 35: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 132 comments I'm looking at the list of winners again and it feels so adventurous. Outside of A Mercy and Wolf Hall and maybe The Road they all feel like books that take big risks and that tell stories in a new way. Seeing them all together makes me think MStSK isn't such a quirky outlier after all.

message 36: by Melissa (last edited Mar 29, 2019 10:37AM) (new)

Melissa (melissabeez) | 19 comments About today's win, anyone here know how to cabbage patch?

As I've said before, if it couldn't be "wee sisters," I'm more that delighted it's these sisters!

message 37: by Beth (new)

Beth | 199 comments My first year discovering the TOB was the year my favorite read of the year, The Orphan Master's Son took the Rooster. I was thrilled with the result and eagerly waited to see how next year's favorite, A Constellation of Vital Phenomena would fare. (still a little bitter, but I'm doing better by only mentioning the slight approximately once or twice a year). I will have three to read from previous winners, A Mercy, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and The Accidental. Favorites from the winners list for me are Orphan Master's Son, Wolf Hall and Cloud Atlas.

message 38: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Arnold | 889 comments I want to say thank you Amy and Tina for your hard work here!! This has been so much fun... <3

message 39: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 132 comments Me too, Tina and Amy! Thank you so much!

message 40: by Jan (new)

Jan (janrowell) | 1099 comments Yay and thank you to Amy & Tina!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

You are all welcome! It's not really so much work, and it's fun. I'll echo my thanks to Amy.

Thanks to all our active members for making this group my favorite place in cyberspace—except in March, when my heart is divided between here and the official ToB site! I'm excited to meet a few of you tomorrow at our PNW Wrap-Up Brunch!

message 42: by Carmel (new)

Carmel Hanes | 131 comments I enjoyed reading some of the books in the tournament, and watching all the comments regarding them. The passion some people feel about outcomes is endearing! Perhaps next year life will allow me the time to read all the selected books, which might bubble my own passions to the forefront! Additionally, the comments, pro and con, helped me make difficult choices as to what to read next.

message 43: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1737 comments Thanks you guys! Great conversations as usual! Mar is SO stressful because the rest of the world does not go on hold for TOB (what!?) and I never feel like I get to dedicate enough attention where I really want it with you! And then suddenly it’s the last day and we’re saying goodbyes online again. It’s been a wild ride this year - thanks to everyone who participated (lurkers included)!

message 44: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 196 comments I'm late to the party but THRILLED with the winner, especially since I had prepared myself for the worst. Kudos to the judge who called Warlight "a beautiful chore," because that was spot-on.

Doubly excited for a TOB winners tourney, too, since I've only been around four years or so now. There are some mighty tomes on that list.

message 45: by Lauren (last edited Mar 30, 2019 04:37PM) (new)

Lauren Oertel | 959 comments This was my first year following ToB and it was great! I'm so glad My Sister won, and I look forward to the summer reads and tournament of winners. At least I can get a head start on some of those. I'm most looking forward to The Good Lord Bird, The Orphan Master's Son, A Visit from the Goon Squad, The Accidental, and A Mercy based on the descriptions.

message 46: by Jason (new)

Jason Perdue | 630 comments I only need to read Wolf Hall and The Good Lord Bird to be a Super Rooster completist. Oh, and, finish Fever Dream. Well, maybe I won't be a completist after all.

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 600 comments Jason wrote: "I only need to read Wolf Hall and The Good Lord Bird to be a Super Rooster completist. Oh, and, finish Fever Dream. Well, maybe I won't be a completist after all."

You left some great ones for last, imho!

message 48: by Libby (new)

Libby | 1 comments Kip wrote: "Amy wrote: "Kip - be warned. I don’t consider Ali Smith “difficult” but I always have to adjust my reading goggles with her - she has a really unique voice that is a definite switch from other read..."

It's maybe too late for you to catch this but - I am a HUGE Ali Smith fan! She is wonderful in my eyes. & one of the things that cemented my love for her is hearing her give a talk & then read from her books. If you can find a good video on YT or a nice radio interview (maybe her desert island discs?) I would recommend it! she speaks so fast, so passionately, and it's now impossible for me not to hear her voice narrating when I read her books, and it makes them even better for me. It helps me sort of click into the flow of her writing style.

message 49: by Kip (new)

Kip Kyburz (kybrz) | 239 comments Libby wrote: "It's maybe too late for you to catch this but - I am a HUGE Ali Smith fan! She is wonderful in my eyes. & one of the things that cemented my love for her is hearing her give a talk & then read from her books."

Oooh, ok! I love author voice in my head so I will track something down. I will definitely read The Accidental for the Rooster of Roosters. But it seems her seasons quad is getting even more love, so I don't want to shortchange her and will probably try both.

Also, as a serial fast talker, there is now some built in camaraderie