Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Buddy Reads > Harry Potter - The 2019 Series Buddy Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments Join us if you would like to read, or re-read, the entire Harry Potter series during 2019. I have read the series more times than I care to admit, and will happily lead a discussion on what I think are several important themes:
1.) Magic and magical thinking
2.) Creation of believable fantasy worlds
3.) The books vs movies differences
4.) Leadership in HP
5.) Friendship in HP
6.) Good vs evil vs very grey characters
7.) Maturing the series as the audience grows up

If you’re in, add yourself to the notifications list and join in on the conversation.

We start on Jan 2, 2019. Can’t wait!

message 2: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 225 comments This is great! I was planing to start in January. How convenient! :)

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Thanks for starting a thread for this Paula. I hope we can get a few more people to join. I know a lot of people love Harry Potter. It will be my first time reading them, and I'd love to read them with some of the wonderful people in this group.

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9433 comments Mod
Are you thinking a book a month? Or something else?

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments Oh gosh, what fun :)

message 6: by Lilly (last edited Dec 14, 2018 04:50PM) (new)

Lilly | 518 comments I'm in. Just reread part 1 in august. I'm going through the entire series in Nederlands (which is pretty funny to read), I'm in book 2 now, but rather at the beginning. So it will be nice to be reading along with others. :)

@Katy: If we go a book a month, we'll be through in just half a year. But I think some might go more slowly - me for example - reading other books at the same time. Then again, the last sequels are a little fatter, so we could just take 2 months each for part 5-7 and fill the year up a bit ... just an example ...

message 7: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments This makes me more excited than Christmas. Looking forward to discussing with you guys!

message 8: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 740 comments Stop tempting me! I love these books. It's about time for another re-read but I have so many other books to read.

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie | 583 comments I'm rereading, too. I'm in!

message 10: by siriusedward (last edited Dec 15, 2018 12:34AM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2051 comments I would like to join you all too.
It will be a reread for me.
Have you watched the FB movies..?How is it as a prequel to HP ?

message 11: by Lilly (new)

Lilly | 518 comments Marilyn wrote: "Stop tempting me! I love these books. It's about time for another re-read but I have so many other books to read."

So do probably some of us others ... :D Why don't you just read part of the series with us if all is too much? And anyway, 2019 is all of 12 months, so you can go real slow ;)

message 12: by Lilly (new)

Lilly | 518 comments siriusedward wrote: "Have you watched the FB movies..?How is it as a prequel to HP ?"

I've only seen the first one. I didn't think of it as a prequel, due to differences in time and place, and oh ... heaps. It's interesting to get a picture of wizarding America, but of course very different ...

message 13: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 74 comments I watched the second fb movie this week. It starts to build up with things connecting or potentially connecting to the hp books.

message 14: by Lilly (new)

Lilly | 518 comments Did you like it?

message 15: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 74 comments Yes I liked it :) I love Newts character. I don't know how to feel about dumbledore as a young man, though. It still feels like another universe but the dots start connecting.

message 16: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 74 comments Well maybe not another universe but it's not quite the same.

message 17: by Lilly (new)

Lilly | 518 comments Yea, I guess I know what you mean ... nowaday wizarding world stuff just feels different than the old HP books ...

I guess I'll watch part 2 ... just to keep updated. Though I think it's only starting in cinemas over here ...

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 309 comments I'm rereading the series at the amazing speed of the continental drift and currently in book 4. So I guess you're going to surpass me some time next summer. I'll gladly join in provided I can bring myself to speed up the process!

message 19: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Well, I wasn't planning to read them in 2019, but since I've been postponing Harry Potter since high school, I think this might be an opportunity. I've seen the movies and they are quite fun. I've seen the FB movies as well, but I didn't like them.

message 20: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments I just finished my notes for discussion on Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I think those of you who are only movie watchers will enjoy the discussion on this book. I feel passionately about the horrible things the movies did to several book characters.

Regarding the FB movies, I saw the first one, and NOPED right out on the second one.

As a side note, does anyone know how (and where) I can create a thread with multiple sub folders in here?

message 21: by Lilly (new)

Lilly | 518 comments Well, I must say I'm really not up to any discussion of the movies - haven't even watched most of them, because of how they slaughtered the books ...

But I'm curious what kind of questions/ topics/ controversials you put on your list for the books ;)

message 22: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments I know the holidays are upon us, but part of the early discussion I would like to have is about the four Hogwarts houses and how they are different. If you have a free 5 minutes or so, you might enjoy taking the quiz at the link below to determine where you would likely be placed if you were a student at Hogwarts, along with your second most dominant personality trait (that’s important, too). Keep them secret until we have that discussion! I’m dying to know where we all fit! :)
https://www.gotoquiz.com/pottermore_s...

message 23: by Brina (new)

Brina I’ve done that so many times and always end up in the same house. I am looking forward. Update is that 10 year old is reading book 1 and 8 year old is reading book 4. I have been clarifying as they go along so while I might not be able to “read” all the books, I’m still immersed in them as my kids read them.

message 24: by Angie (last edited Dec 19, 2018 05:15PM) (new)

Angie | 583 comments Paula W wrote: "I know the holidays are upon us, but part of the early discussion I would like to have is about the four Hogwarts houses and how they are different. If you have a free 5 minutes or so, you might en..."

I'll wait to say what my house is, but can say that the quiz gave me the same result I always get on various quizzes--no surprises for me. So it's a good quiz! I can't wait to find out what everyone else is.

message 25: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments Angie wrote: "Paula W wrote: "I know the holidays are upon us, but part of the early discussion I would like to have is about the four Hogwarts houses and how they are different. If you have a free 5 minutes or ..."

Me, too! For the group discussion, your second most dominant personality will also be taken into account. Pay attention to that, also. :)

message 26: by Samanta (last edited Dec 20, 2018 04:45AM) (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 225 comments In Croatia we have a Ministry of Magic association where they put me in a certain house. I also took Pottermore's test. I got two different houses. :D

EDIT: And now I got a third house in this test. :D

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie | 643 comments This is great :) I've been planning to reread the series after a Harry Potter themed London visit this november (saw The Cursed Child and visited the film studios)

message 28: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments I got the same results as in Pottermore. My first seems to be some 50% more than the next best, so I guess I'm not likely to get a different result.

message 29: by Lilly (new)

Lilly | 518 comments I got sorted on Pottermore, but I think I´ll try again, as others posted they got sorted in various houses ...

Merry Christmas to all, by the way. :)

message 30: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 487 comments I will be listening to the series on audiobook this year. I just took the quiz and my second house is very close to my first. I think I have gotten the second as my house before.

message 31: by Lilly (new)

Lilly | 518 comments I just got opposite results to the last time - hahaha ... :D

message 32: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments Hahaha all of your personalities must be changing. The questions are the same ones from the Pottermore quiz, only it is all possible questions from Pottermore instead of a random sampling. ;-)

message 33: by Lilly (new)

Lilly | 518 comments Well, maybe the differences in sampling account for all that ... ;)

(And let´s be honest, these aren´t really deep questions, but a fun quiz - triggering your current mood and such - so a little instability should be expected ...)

message 34: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments I did the quiz, got the same thing I always get lol

So, how will this work? Will there be a different thread for each book, or...?

message 35: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2051 comments I don't think there are multiple threads for buddy reads ,usually.At least not that I have seen... moderators will help ,I think.

message 36: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Dec 27, 2018 12:34PM) (new)

Buddy reads do not have multiple threads.

There are threads for the first book in the series when we did a group read in 2016. You can use those for the first book. Do not make new threads for that book.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - NO Spoilers
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - SPOILERS

If you want to discuss each of the other books in the series, we will make you a thread for each book as you get to it. There are NOT spoiler & non-spoiler threads for buddy reads.

Let us know how you want to do the series read. You can also just use this thread for the entire series if you wish.

message 37: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments Hey, Katy. I think we would like a separate thread for each book. This is a year long group read including 7 books. I would appreciate it, and thank you in advance!

message 38: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Use the existing threads for the first book, and we can add the others as you go along. Just let us know a day or two ahead and we will put the threads up when you need them. Unless you can think of a reason that you would like the other 6 threads immediately.

message 39: by Lilly (new)

Lilly | 518 comments Is anyone else already reading book two?

message 40: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments My thoughts on the first part of Book 1 - through Chapter 4:
1.) I love Rowling's almost Dickensian use of names for characters. Harry Potter sounds mundane and normal, which he is not those things at all. But we get some over-the-top names like Petunia Dursley that, to me, help us to accept this story as a story. A myth. Otherwise, we would take the abuse Harry receives more seriously.
2.) Another thing that I think was well done is the development of Harry. He gradually, during the first few chapters, started to realize that someone (he didn't know who yet) recognized him as a person. Even recognized him as Mr. H. Potter. This was the beginning of Harry standing up for himself and acting on his own thoughts.
3.) When Harry finds out that he is a wizard, he is shocked. Rowling could have made the Dursleys oblivious to this as well, but she chose instead to be clear that they knew about muggles and wizards the entire time but lived their lives in denial, even to the point of lying to Harry about how his parents died.
4.) The last thing I'd like to mention about the first 4 chapters is the chapter titles. They often have double meanings. The Vanishing Glass obviously means that the glass protecting people from the snake disappeared, but it is also at that point that the invisible divider between the muggle world and the magical world starts disappearing for Harry. The Keeper of the Keys is Hagrid's job title, but he is also the person who unlocked the mystery for Harry and the readers.

message 41: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 740 comments Lilly wrote: "Is anyone else already reading book two?"

I read the first book yesterday and will wait awhile before starting the next. Too many other books.

message 42: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Lilly wrote: "Is anyone else already reading book two?"

I started it a few hours ago. I don't think I'll be reading this for a year. I'll finish the whole series in a week most likely.

message 43: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments For those of you who have finished the first book (and yes, the first few will go quickly!), any thoughts you’d like to share?

message 44: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments I was expecting it to be more. To have more things than the film, but it was almost the same. The Weasleys were funnier in the book, but that was about it.

As for the writing, it wasn't very special. I know it is for children, but still... It reminds me more of a fairytale than of a fantasy book.

message 45: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments Jehona wrote: "I was expecting it to be more. To have more things than the film, but it was almost the same. The Weasleys were funnier in the book, but that was about it.

As for the writing, it wasn't very spec..."

You’re right. This is definitely a children’s book. Which is fine for me as an introduction to the series. As Harry ages - and as the intended audience ages with him - the writing gets more mature.

From my perspective, there are a several things the book does differently, maybe subtle changes in the earlier books, but they make a lot of difference in the long run — mainly how the movies completely ruined the character of Ron by taking his great qualities and giving them to Hermione, making him little more than comic relief and erasing Hermione’s negative qualities almost entirely. The author’s design was to make a friendship dream team: Hermione, a bright girl raised by muggles and the first witch in her family. Harry, also raised by muggles but his parents were both in the magical world. And Ron, a boy from a long line of wizards and the only one of the three who knows anything about what it means to be magical. Hermione is the brains, Harry is the guts, and Ron is the common sense with valuable knowledge that neither of them have. So many times in the movies, they take that knowledge from Ron and give it to Hermione and just give Ron a joke to tell. It happened FOR REAL once they went through the trap door.

Sorry, I feel really strongly about this hahahaa.

message 46: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments By the way, would any of you like to share your Hogwarts house?

I am a Ravenclaw. But Slytherin is my second strongest trait, according to the test. Interestingly enough, when they added the Patronus test to Pottermore quite a while back, it did not shock me at all to discover I was a Ravenclaw who had a rattlesnake patronus.

There is a theory out there in the fandom that Gryffindors might be placed in their house because they want to be there. Bravery isn’t just a quality; it’s a choice. According to the house qualities we learned in this book, Harry definitely shows Slytherin qualities, Hermione is the textbook definition of Ravenclaw, and Ron couldn’t be more Hufflepuff if he tried. But they all ended up in Gryffindor.

message 47: by Angie (new)

Angie | 583 comments First of all, Paula, I agree with you about Ron. That is a constant source of irritation for me when I watch the movies.

My Hogwarts house is Ravenclaw, which I generally get when I take any kind of Hogwarts house quiz. It fits me. My second strongest trait was Hufflepuff, which I am quite please with. I do wish there were more Ravenclaws of note in the HP universe. We're a sadly underrepresented lot.

message 48: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments Angie wrote: "First of all, Paula, I agree with you about Ron. That is a constant source of irritation for me when I watch the movies.

My Hogwarts house is Ravenclaw, which I generally get when I take any kind..."

AGREED. We get Cho Chang, Luna Lovegood, Professor Lockhart, Professor Trelawney, Professor Flitwick, Professor Quirrell, Ollivander, one of the Patil twins, and.... yeah that’s pretty much it.

message 49: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Ravenclaw here too. In this quiz I was some 90% Ravenclaw and very little of the other three. Gryffindor was my second, but it only had a lead of one point or so over the other two. My patronus is a Rottweiler. My wand is Elm wood with a Unicorn hair core 10 ¾" and Unyielding flexibility.

message 50: by Clio (new)

Clio | 34 comments I got about equal parts Ravenclaw and Gryffindor. I really like your notes on the chapter titles, Paula! I never noticed before!

I just relistened to all the Harry Potter books last year on audiobook after I got really into the podcast Harry Potter and the Sacred Text. Has anybody else here listened to that?

« previous 1