What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Mystery, Girl (12?) in Beach house, male relative trying to bump her off for her inheritance.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 2 comments I read it in something like the Mystery Book Club's volumes. I had thought it was called, The House on the Beach, but I cannot find it under that. I think it was probably written early 70's, maybe late 60's. Her parents have died. She realizes her uncle (?) who is living in the house, which I think is part of her inheritance, is trying to kill her. There is something to do with the fireplace (maybe her finding a partially burned important piece of paper) and towards the end, when the action reaches a climax her glasses get broken.
Of course because she is young, no one believes her suspicions, and there is tenseness because she can't let on she suspects until she can be safe.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35167 comments Mod
Carolyn, is this book for teens (young adults) or older adults?

Can you tell us more about the young girl - her personality, skills/interests, friends/pets, how her parents died, how her parents became rich, etc.? Is anyone helping her?

What is the story's time period and location - country, region, big city/small town?

message 3: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 2 comments Thanks. I read it long ago as an adolescent, and I’m not sure now of the intended audience, though it seemed like an adult book. But looking back, the age of the protagonist makes me wonder. It was in something like the readers digest condensed books. But as I recall They were all ministries.
The story took place at this Beachhouse, very close to the beach. It seem to be a little remote, not in the middle of the town. I don’t remember if they covered the details of her parents death very much. I am trying to think if any more details will come to me, but most of them are vague.
What struck me most about the book was the clever, intrepid, and brave character of the girl. I think she was tied up in the end.
I know this sounds like The plot of a hundreds of other books and movies. When I read it, I made sure to memorize the title so that in the future I could find it again. So I am surprised that I would come up blank all these years later.