Prize Readers discussion

Tournament of Books > 2019 Tournament of Books Shortlist.

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob Lopez | 196 comments Mod
Looks like the shortlist has been announced! Unexpected by me anyway.
I've made a goodreads list, available here: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

I imagine there will be individual shortlisted books threads on the main TOB goodreads page, so I don't know that we want to duplicate that here. I've finished 12, currently working on a 13th, so I think my TOB-centered reading is about to take it's annual dip. I'll be working on a scribd list if any of you are interested.

Any surprise inclusions? Omissions? I know I wish Severance had made it.

Best time of the year came a little early this time!

message 2: by Bob (new)

So, disappointingly, Scribd hasn't retained many of the initial longlist titles (62 or 63), and in fact, has few of the shortlisted titles (6 I believe). I made a list of the available titles here: https://www.scribd.com/lists/22512917...

I don't know how Scribd works, in terms of how long titles are available to them, so some may return, who knows. I'll keep checking.

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam | 85 comments Bob wrote: "Looks like the shortlist has been announced! Unexpected by me anyway.
I've made a goodreads list, available here: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

I im..."

First thing that jumped out at me was 5 from the Booker longlist and 1 from the NBA. That might be a fun discussion on book award politics. Lol
I have read 8 of these and will be most interested to hear opinions on Call Me Zebra which i had hoped would make the list and spark some controversy. I am disappointed Asymmetry missed since I thought it a good fit for this. I downloaded a pair of short books and will get to them over the weekend, but I probably won't read the whole list.

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam | 85 comments One other thought. The ANZ's got robbed. While it was nice seeing the Canadians on the list, i thought it was a great year from the authors Down Under and would have liked to see at least one book on the list.

message 5: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (ashelfofonesown) I have only read 14 out of the 76 titles in the TOB longlist and it would be almost impossible to read more before the shortlist announcement (although I was under the impression it would still be a while before it was announced to the world). Nevertheless, I am quite surprised.

6/18 books read in the shortlist and only two of them were favourite books I would indeed like to see here (Warlight and Milkman). I'm okay with the inclusion of Washington Black which I enjoyed but wasn't blown away by. I didn't care for My Sister, the Serial Killer or The Overstory, and I absolutely loathed The Mars Room. I received an ARC of The Golden State way back, tried to read it but couldn't get into it. Another 8 are on my TBR but more on the backburner so I'm not sure I will prioritize them just for TOB.

From the longlist, I would have liked to see The Friend, The Shepherd's Hut, Asymmetry and The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock. I am very surprised by the omission of Flights, The Great Believers, An American Marriage and most of all, Circe (from rave reviews, altough I have yet to read them).

Overall, I think there were a lot more books that peaked my interest in the longlist than in the shortlist.

message 6: by Doug (new)

Doug Have read seven of them, of which I liked Overstory, Warlight, Mars Room, and Washington Black; lukewarm towards Speak No Evil and Italian Teacher; and absolutely detested Milkman, one of the worst books I've ever read.

Have three ARCS on my Kindle I haven't read: My Sister, Golden State and America is Not ... and So Lucky is waiting for me at the library to pick up. Am interested in Census and There, There, so may or may not read them eventually. Others don't hold much appeal.

Am sad neither The Great Believers, nor The Maze at Windermere made it through, as both were in my top 10 for the year.

message 7: by Kip (new)

Kip Kyburz (kybrz) | 5 comments Bob wrote: "So, disappointingly, Scribd hasn't retained many of the initial longlist titles (62 or 63), and in fact, has few of the shortlisted titles (6 I believe). I made a list of the available titles here:..."

So as a pretty avid Scribd user but typically audio only, if you are searching for audio and it dropped away you were likely just throttled. I was able to find 16/18 of the shortlist but they are "Unavailable until 1/6/19" for me (if you search for a book and check the audiobooks tab it SHOULD be there). I think they might have changed the max allowed per month from 4 to 3 books.

I have read 5/18, fortunately Fort Wayne has a pretty massive circulation and a scarcity when it comes to people who enjoy literary fiction, so I was able to track down most of the books already.

I cherished The Overstory the most out of all these books, but I have very specific memories of driving through the countryside all night over a week getting an infant to sleep and listening to this book.

message 8: by Karin (new)

Karin (8littlepaws) | 77 comments Agree with Kip--Scribd throttles users which can be pretty frustrating. I used it for a while because I kept getting free months as people subscribed through me, but once that ended I decided to pass on paying for it until I fully exhausted the books I want to listen to for free through Hoopla. They're only allowing 3 books a month now? That, for me, is low.

I don't think I'm particularly excited about this short list, however, my reading tastes rarely align with the TOB. Fever Dream....I don't get the hype still.

That said, perhaps I'll bump some more of these up the ol' TBR. Right now my immediate TBR doesn't have any of these on it though, so it might take me a few months. I think the first ones I'll try to grab from the library will be Golden State and The Overstory.

message 9: by Bob (new)

Kip wrote: "Bob wrote: "So, disappointingly, Scribd hasn't retained many of the initial longlist titles (62 or 63), and in fact, has few of the shortlisted titles (6 I believe). I made a list of the available ..."

That's even MORE disappointing. I knew about throttling (I try to pace myself, but I still subscribe to Libro.fm in addition to scribd so I guess I'm not THAT patient), what I didn't know about was hiding the titles altogether. Like you, I searched for all 18 titles, and I only found six. The longlist list I created shows 62 in parenthesis, but only displays like 3 or 4. That is some shady stuff.

Did you make a list on scribd by chance? That way I can just check to see if I even see any of the 16 you found...

message 10: by Kip (new)

Kip Kyburz (kybrz) | 5 comments Bob wrote: "Kip wrote: "Bob wrote: "So, disappointingly, Scribd hasn't retained many of the initial longlist titles (62 or 63), and in fact, has few of the shortlisted titles (6 I believe). I made a list of th..."

Here is a Scribd list with 13, I forgot I found a couple audio through Hoopla and Overdrive.

https://www.scribd.com/lists/22515150...

If I actually look at the list I can only see So Lucky, but I preview it on my public profile, there are 13 books there:
https://www.scribd.com/user/419481583...

Most of the books I didn't find in search, but if I went to the author's page the audiobook would be listed.

It's all very frustrating, I do get a discount through work for Scribd so that does mitigate some of the disappointment.

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam | 85 comments Jumping in on the Scrib discussion, A Terrible Country and A Dictionary of Animal Languages are both there for me.. Even if one is throttled, the investment seems a fair deal IMO, given the jump in prices I am seeing on audiobooks. I am curious what is left to choose after one gets throttled. I guess I will soon find out. I supplement with Hoopla and Overdive and pay for an out of state membership to get a better selection from Overdive.

message 12: by Kip (new)

Kip Kyburz (kybrz) | 5 comments I use Hoopla and Overdrive also. I also once a year restart an audible membership to get 2 free books, and then cancel for it being too expensive and then get 3 months at $7.50. Because 5 books for $22.50 is a good deal.

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam | 85 comments Thanks for the info. I am cancelling my audible membership this month since I have well over 100 books unread in my library and I imagine licenses are going to expire if I don't catch up. I will remember your post. Overdrive has different selections at different libraries and I find the $50 annual fee I am charged from a larger library well worth it for what I get.

message 14: by Kip (new)

Kip Kyburz (kybrz) | 5 comments Yeah that’s interesting, I didn’t know that was possible with overdrive. My library tends to have lots of titles but not in large quantities so some of the holds are astronomical for audiobooks and ebooks. But people seem to forget that libraries have physical books so anything real popular I tend to get easily that way.

I guess we don’t need to hijack this convo from book discussion to book acquiring. But thanks for the info.

message 15: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 142 comments Oh getting the TOB short list was a little bit of surprise.

From the short list:

I have read 6 (about 4 less than I usually have read on the short list - I will blame it on coming a little early this year :)

I DNF 1 = Call Me Zebra

Currently reading 1 = America Is Not the Heart

I already have 8 on my shelf/tbr list

There are 2 that I am undecided if going to read:
The Italian Teacher - leaning heavily towards no
The Mars Room

message 16: by Bob (last edited Dec 14, 2018 08:18AM) (new)

Beverly wrote: "Oh getting the TOB short list was a little bit of surprise..."

Why'd you DNF Call Me Zebra?

Mars Room and Italian Teacher were alright but didn't blow me away the way some others have.

message 17: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 142 comments Bob wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Oh getting the TOB short list was a little bit of surprise..."

Why'd you DNF Call Me Zebra?

Mars Room and Italian Teacher were alright but didn't blow me away the some others have."

It was a little while ago when I attempted to read Call Me Zebra. I just remember that the first couple of chapters did not grab me at the time I picked it up.
But it wasn't a "dislike" that I would never give the book second try - which may happen.

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 12 comments I've read 7 on the list, DNF'ed one (Italian Teacher) and like a few others here, not enchanted with several. I may read several of those after the tournament, if I'm inspired by the judge's review and the book doesn't seem too spoiled by it. I'm pretty good about putting a hold on questionable Tournament books to read something else I'm really drawn to.

PS: The threads about gaming audiobook subscriptions reminds me of the standard long distance telephone call trick in the 70's of calling your parents collect and asking for yourself. Parents say you're not home and they know you're safe without having to pay AT&T for the call. There was a cute commercial a few years ago of a young guy calling his parents collect from a hospital and asking for "Itsa Boy".

Also reminds me of the trick of putting an off-topic message as a PS. PS absolves all :)

message 19: by Karin (new)

Karin (8littlepaws) | 77 comments Depending on your library, you will have different content and different monthly limits for Hoopla Digital as well. I moved in July, my old library had a more limited selection and 6 checkouts per month. My new library has 10 checkouts per month, and a larger selection than the old one did.

I have heard Milkman was very good on audio, and my library has it on Hoopla, so I might pick it up there--but otherwise the Hoopla selection doesn't include many of these shortlist picks.

message 20: by Kip (new)

Kip Kyburz (kybrz) | 5 comments Karin wrote: "Depending on your library, you will have different content and different monthly limits for Hoopla Digital as well. I moved in July, my old library had a more limited selection and 6 checkouts per ..."

My Hoopla just upgraded to 20 checkouts, there was much rejoicing.

The book I was most sad didn't make the TOB was The Third Hotel, I loved 2/3 of it, and was really hoping to have the commentariat around to explain what happened over the final third.

message 21: by Elizabeth (last edited Dec 14, 2018 06:19PM) (new)

Elizabeth Arnold | 16 comments Sam wrote: "Jumping in on the Scrib discussion, A Terrible Country and A Dictionary of Animal Languages are both there for me.. Even if one is throttled, the investment seems a fair deal IMO, given the jump in..."

Karin wrote: "I have heard Milkman was very good on audio, and my library has it on Hoopla, so I might pick it up there--but otherwise the Hoopla selection doesn't include many of these shortlist picks.."

Note that The Dictionary of Animal Languages is on Hoopla, so you wouldn't have to use a Scribd point for it. I tried listening...and I really do like the narrator, but because of its structure my brain just wasn't following it well on audio. (I suspect the same thing may happen with Milkman, but I'll give it a try.) So far I'm loving DoAL in print, though. It's beautifully written.

message 22: by Bob (new)

message 23: by Sam (new)

Sam | 85 comments Elizabeth Arnold wrote: "Sam wrote: "Jumping in on the Scrib discussion, A Terrible Country and A Dictionary of Animal Languages are both there for me.. Even if one is throttled, the investment seems a fair deal IMO, given..."

Thanks Bob. Read them all yet?

message 24: by Bob (new)

Sam wrote: "Thanks Bob. Read them all yet? "

No, not yet. I'm at 14/18. I'm listening to America Is Not the Heart now. That's a long one. After that, I have Terrible Country, Call Me Zebra, Dictionary of Animal Languages to go. You?

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam | 85 comments Bob wrote: "Sam wrote: "Thanks Bob. Read them all yet? "

No, not yet. I'm at 14/18. I'm listening to America Is Not the Heart now. That's a long one. After that, I have Terrible Country, Call Me Zebra, Dictio..."

I had read half but I am not sure how many more I will read. I am still catching up on other reading and the 2019 books are rolling in! I think I am going to see what advances this year.

message 26: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 142 comments America Is Not the Heart won the Play-in!

I thought this was an outstanding book.

And as much as I liked There There, I think is will be an interesting matchup.