Support for Indie Authors discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > seeking book reviews

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Philip (new)

Philip Rivera | 1 comments I'm going to launch my self-published book on Amazon at the end of January. It's a collection of humorous memoirs/essays from my life as a dad, husband, and teacher. Where can I find people to send ARCs to in order to get reviews before the launch?
Thanks!

message 2: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) Also Netgalley.

message 3: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Kimelene wrote: "Hi Philip. You can try booksprout..."

I removed the link...no link please

message 4: by Kimelene (new)

Kimelene Carr (goodreadscomkimelenecarr) | 4 comments G.G. wrote: "Kimelene wrote: "Hi Philip. You can try booksprout..."

I removed the link...no link please"

Oops! Sorry!

message 5: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Musser (tanyamusser) | 10 comments I review alot of books on Booksprout and some from Netgalley

message 6: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Musser (tanyamusser) | 10 comments If you use one of them please let me know. I will look your work up on there. Thanks

message 7: by Norman (new)

Norman Colson | 6 comments what is booksprout???

message 8: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy (dorothyofslytherin) | 1 comments I just started my Netgalley and Booksprout account!

message 9: by Corey (new)

Corey Stephen (coreydstephen) | 8 comments How do all of you get reviews on amazon?

message 10: by Shanna (new)

Shanna Swenson (shannaswen) | 32 comments Tanya- How does booksprout work? Is it like book funnel?

message 11: by Tomas, Wandering dreamer (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 694 comments Mod
Corey wrote: "How do all of you get reviews on amazon?"

Once every long time, someone decides to write it. There's nothing else than waiting for it...

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 367 comments Tomas wrote: "Corey wrote: "How do all of you get reviews on amazon?"

Once every long time, someone decides to write it. There's nothing else than waiting for it..."

Even then, you may get "simple" reviews like "I liked it" or "Meh." You have to be patient to get any reviews, and more patient to get the "right" reviews that "get" your work.

message 13: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Gill | 7 comments Philip wrote: "I'm going to launch my self-published book on Amazon at the end of January. It's a collection of humorous memoirs/essays from my life as a dad, husband, and teacher. Where can I find people to send..."

I have used Hiddengems for ARCs. The good part about them is you only pay for the reviewers that accept your book. Not every claimant leaves a review, but they have a high return rate. You end up paying about $10 per reviewer, if I recall correctly.

Booksends just started a new ARC program as well. They've been primarily a book marketing service, so their ARC program is really new. It's really cheap right now, though. They only charge a flat $10 fee no matter how many readers claim your book to review it.

I've still found the most effective way to get ARCs is through my own mailing list. If you haven't begun building one, I'd highly recommend it. The vast majority of my reviews come from readers on my mailing list, who simply enjoy my writing.

Hope this helps!

message 14: by Richard (new)

Richard Parkin | 29 comments Has anyone used Reedsy Discovery?

message 15: by Ross (new)

Ross Eberle Richard wrote: "Has anyone used Reedsy Discovery?"

Umm...What is this Reedsy Discovery?

message 16: by Richard (new)

Richard Parkin | 29 comments It's a book recommendation service for readers and a review/promotion service for authors - fee $50.

message 17: by Ken (new)

Ken Johnson (author_ken_johnson) | 10 comments Be careful of using NetGalley and others. There's no protection against piracy on those sites. I literally found people giving away electronic copies of my books on YouTube. I lost thousands in sales. And, it was near impossible to keep up with all the cease and desist letters and complaints.

message 18: by Luke (new)

Luke Gracias | 41 comments Ken wrote: "Be careful of using NetGalley and others. There's no protection against piracy on those sites. I literally found people giving away electronic copies of my books on YouTube. I lost thousands in sal..."
Never thought of that Ken. I saw numerous pdf versions of my book crop up everywhere and it still does. Have you approached NetGalley about this?

message 19: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Kloosterman | 3 comments Ken wrote: "Be careful of using NetGalley and others. There's no protection against piracy on those sites. I literally found people giving away electronic copies of my books on YouTube. I lost thousands in sal..."

Honestly, I've just considered posting most of my story on my blog anyway. It's another way to advertise, and someone knowing the story is more likely to buy the book than someone who never hears about it. Sort of like clips of movie scenes or songs that are posted on Youtube. I probably never would have gotten into Taylor Swift if her songs hadn't been up on Youtube already.

Then again, I haven't boughten any Taylor Swift CD's, so...

message 20: by Dan (new)

Dan Lutts (dan_lutts) | 5 comments Has anyone else encountered Ken's problem of having their books pirated on NetGalley?

Edelweiss says that the copies they send to reviewers are set to disappear after a certain amount of days.

message 21: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynn (patricialynn1111) | 5 comments I just started using Pubby.co recently and I'm finding it to work out very well. You review other author's books and in turn get reviews for your own, based on a point system. They work within the Amazon guidelines. I had tried NetGalley and only received one review in one month's time. With Pubby there is a monthly fee and the reviews are based on the amount of time you will spend reading/reviewing others. I'm finding it gratifying on both ends and have received about 20 reviews in the last three weeks and have read some great books. All reviews are honest - some great, some eh. They don't allow any contact between authors and if someone chose to review your book, their book will not come up as an option for you to read.

message 22: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4310 comments Mod
Jeffrey wrote: "My first book was..."

Bully for you. You wrote a book. That doesn't entitle you to break all the rules here. Guess what? Most everyone in this group has written books, too, Guess what? Most everyone in this group follows the rules.

* No links.
* No self-promotion.

I'm closing this topic, as it's another one that too many people fail to understand its intent.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.