Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Survival Quest (The Way of the Shaman, #1)
This topic is about Survival Quest
Book Clubs! > Way of the Shaman (LitRPG) [June/July 2019]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Timelord Iain (last edited Dec 13, 2018 12:03PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments Virginie & I want to try a LitRPG series that has been completed already, so we can get the full experience without waiting... we don't know how fast we're going to read these, yet, but we want to start around June 4th, 2019:

Survival Quest -- June 4th
The Kartoss Gambit
The Secret of the Dark Forest
The Phantom Castle
The Karmadont Chess Set
The Hour of Pain (novella)
Shaman's Revenge
Clans War

message 2: by Soo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3714 comments I'd just skip the novella. If you guys make it to Clans War, I'll join. I'll come by to talk regardless. This is one of the better LitRPG series.

You guys could have done Delvers LLC. That one doesn't piss me off at the end. Bwhahahaha

I stopped on Clans War cause I wanted to hurl the book. lol

message 3: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Soo wrote: "I stopped on Clans War cause I wanted to hurl the book. lol"

Ah.. Well, we can hate and spit on the book together then (if Iain and I make it that far) :D

message 4: by Soo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3714 comments If you guys played RPGs & MMORPG's, you'll see how the story unfolds easily. It's fun to read these virtual reality game stories.

message 5: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I'm in !

message 6: by Soo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3714 comments I may re-read with you guys. It would help me finish the last book. The I'm mad at. LOL

message 7: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena Granger | 83 comments I'm in!

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments We lured someone to LitRPGs :)... the Game Room is a success!!! :D

message 9: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena Granger | 83 comments Yeah! Thanks to you guys, I've discovered a new genre I really enjoy reading.

message 10: by Soo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 3714 comments Yay!

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments OK so... good thing I vaguely remembered our schedule... I started with Way of the Shaman this morning...

Wasn't too impressed, at first... the first chapter or 2 was full of generally unpleasant opinions by the MC/author, I think, then the intro to the Mine Camp was pretty boring and infodumpy...

Things started to improve at the end of chapter 4 and beginning of chapter 5, tho... about 35-40% through the book now, and interested to see where this goes... before chapter 5, I was thinking how glad I was that this wasn't my first LitRPG...

message 12: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Hum I think I will wait your final thoughts then since this would be my first LitRPG, and I wouldn't want to feel unimpressed by the genre ^^

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments So I finished the book the other day... I'd say it was mediocre at best... it had shining moments that intrigued me, followed by long periods of drudgery... part of it was the premise of an MMO penal camp... so hopefully the second book is better with the MC technically on parole now in the game world... but reviews don't seem particularly promising...

I seem to also remember Soo being so unhappy with the 5th book that she hasn't read the 6 and latest/final(?) book, yet... I think the series has ended and spun off into a new series with new characters...

2-3 stars from me...