Japanese Novel and Light Novel Book Club discussion

Recommendations > Recs for Steampunk--especially with airship battles

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Dec 13, 2018 10:58PM) (new)

Alex (asato) | 242 comments I really liked the anime Last Exile and wanted to see if you all had any book recs similar to it. It didn't dwell on the politics and powers players, but instead focused on the citizens and grunts and how the high-level intrigue affected them. I'm also particularly interested in ones that depict airship battles. For example, in Last Exile, the battleship strategy was superceded by the advent of fighter and bomber technology.

message 2: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Alexander | 13 comments I can't find a manga or light novel for it, but Princess Principal was a damn good steam punk anime, you can find it on the HIDIVE streaming service or on Blu-Ray/DVD from Sentai Filmworks

message 3: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 1483 comments Mod
Timothy wrote: "I can't find a manga or light novel for it, but Princess Principal was a damn good steam punk anime, you can find it on the HIDIVE streaming service or on Blu-Ray/DVD from Sentai Filmworks"

I believe Princess Principal is one of the rare anime these days without any source material.

message 4: by Alex (last edited Jul 21, 2019 10:07AM) (new)

Alex (asato) | 242 comments @timothy, @selena -- thanks! exotic matter, nice! Ooh, it's on amazon prime too. I'm on it.

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) | 242 comments Hako wrote: "Have you looked into sci-fi novels published by Haikasoru?

http://www.haikasoru.com/our-books/"

I have but didn't see any steampunk ones. Nothing came up in search for "steampunk". Maybe I didn't browse far enough. Did you see one there?

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) | 242 comments Timothy wrote: "I can't find a manga or light novel for it, but Princess Principal was a damn good steam punk anime, you can find it on the HIDIVE streaming service or on Blu-Ray/DVD from Sentai Filmworks"

Watched part of the first episode. That rocked. Really detailed cityscape too!

message 7: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Alexander | 13 comments I know. and I love that opening theme song.

message 8: by Mike (new)

Mike (mwcooper13) | 3 comments I'm curious as well. I would really love to find a steampunk light novel. I'd like something that has an official release so it can be read on my ereader or a paperback.

message 9: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Alexander | 13 comments The only thing I've found that counts as steampunk for light novels is Clockwork Planet. There is a digital and paperback release for it.

message 10: by Mike (new)

Mike (mwcooper13) | 3 comments yeah, I have the Clockwork Planet books. Not quite steampunk but still enjoyable.

I saw the Princess Principal anime mentioned here. Would be awesome if there were something similar.