Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Books of the Month > Sadie by Courtney Summers (January Young Adult BOM) starts January 2, 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod

A missing girl on a journey of revenge. A Serial―like podcast following the clues she's left behind. And an ending you won't be able to stop talking about.

Sadie hasn't had an easy life. Growing up on her own, she's been raising her sister Mattie in an isolated small town, trying her best to provide a normal life and keep their heads above water.

But when Mattie is found dead, Sadie's entire world crumbles. After a somewhat botched police investigation, Sadie is determined to bring her sister's killer to justice and hits the road following a few meager clues to find him.

When West McCray―a radio personality working on a segment about small, forgotten towns in America―overhears Sadie's story at a local gas station, he becomes obsessed with finding the missing girl. He starts his own podcast as he tracks Sadie's journey, trying to figure out what happened, hoping to find her before it's too late.

Courtney Summers has written the breakout book of her career. Sadie is propulsive and harrowing and will keep you riveted until the last page.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 01, 2019 01:08PM) (new)

Chapter Breakdown

Date Pages end % MPQDs

2 Jan 1-75 23 Cat
3 Jan 76-151 47 Judith
**BREAK DAY**
5 Jan 152-229 71 Cathy M
6 Jan 230-end 100 Sunny

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 6: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 7: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 4892 comments Mod
I'm in and willing to write DQs

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I can't wait to read this. I'll write DQ'S

message 9: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2046 comments I’ve had this book for awhile. Glad it was chosen for the BOM. Much more fun to discuss the book with others.

message 10: by Sunny (new)

Sunny (sunnyisreading) | 340 comments I'm excited for this! Can also write DQs :D

message 11: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 6679 comments Mod
I'm in, and will volunteer for DQs (prefer day 1 if poss)

message 12: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

I was going to get the kindle version of this book but I received a gift card to my local book store for Christmas so tonight or tomorrow I'll buy a paper copy and post the breakdown!

~Laura

message 13: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2046 comments Moderators of NBRC wrote: "I was going to get the kindle version of this book but I received a gift card to my local book store for Christmas so tonight or tomorrow I'll buy a paper copy and post the breakdown!

~Laura"

The perfect Christmas gift!

message 14: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I'm in for this one and volunteer for DQs.

message 15: by Erica (new)

Erica (thebrokenspine) | 22 comments I loved this book. I couldn't put it down. My plan was to read it over a 2-3 days, but I ended up pulling an all nighter. Enjoy and maybe I'll chime in.

message 16: by Chava (new)

Chava | 1369 comments I couldn't get it in time at the library, so I went to Amazon. US$2,99!! Great work!!

message 17: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 1144 comments I'll be reading and I can give DQs a shot. :)

message 18: by Roberta (new)

Roberta Carbah | 6 comments I already started reading!

message 19: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4769 comments Amazon had it on sale so I added it for January! I can try to write some questions though I read super fast.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Sorry, I didn't get a copy yet to do a breakdown.... can anyone do a breakdown and post it here for me? (us) Sections broken into four quarters (as close as possible) would be greatly appreciated. You can post it here or pm it to me!

Thanks.
Happy New Year to you all!

message 21: by Judith (new)

Day 1 pages 1 to 75
Day 2 pages 76 to 151
Day 3 pages 152 to 229
Day 4 pages 230 to end

message 22: by Chava (last edited Dec 31, 2018 01:20PM) (new)

Chava | 1369 comments Judith wrote: "Day 1 pages 1 to 75
Day 2 pages 76 to 151
Day 3 pages 152 to 229
Day 4 pages 230 to end"

I'm reading the kindle version, does anyone know the percentages? Otherwise, I can figure it out if someone can give me the first few words (or chapter title with a few words) and the final ones. I will then update for the group

message 23: by Judith (new)

Page 76 is the beginning of a ‘Sadie’ chapter First sentence: “I want to live my life on the Internet.”

message 24: by Judith (new)

Page 152 is another ‘Sadie’ chapter. First sentence is “Greetings from Sunny LA”

message 25: by Judith (new)

Page 230 is “The Girls S1E5”. Starts with “Joe Perkins: Jesus Christ”

Sorry I’m only on the app right now and herding a 10 month old.

They should be super close to 25% per section.

message 26: by Chava (last edited Dec 31, 2018 01:56PM) (new)

Chava | 1369 comments I don't seem to be able to get it into a nice table.

Day 1: page 1 to 75 Kindle %:1- 23

Day 2: page 76 to 151 Kindle %: 23-47

Day 3: page 152 to 229 Kindle %: 47-71

Day 4: page 230 to end Kindle %: 71-end

message 27: by Chava (new)

Chava | 1369 comments Judith wrote: "Page 230 is “The Girls S1E5”. Starts with “Joe Perkins: Jesus Christ”

Sorry I’m only on the app right now and herding a 10 month old.

They should be super close to 25% per section."

All good, I've done it. Yep, very close to quarters, well done!! Good luck with the kid wrangling ;)

message 28: by Elize (new)

Elize Russell (bookscookslooks) | 95 comments Can’t wait to join in - this book looks great!

message 29: by Sagal (new)

Sagal Bashir | 4 comments Will join! Maybe?.. DQ too :)

message 30: by Judith (new)

Umm, are there DQ assignments? Did I miss them somewhere? This starts tomorrow, correct?

Sorry, just trying to make sure if I’m responsible for questions, I have them done in time 😬

message 31: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Sorry, Laura has been caught up. Posted now!

message 32: by Judith (new)

No worries! And Jan 3 works for me!

message 33: by Cat (new)

Eeek! I'm up tomorrow! Will get on it now, but it might be end of the UK day....

message 34: by Judith (new)

Cat, would you rather switch days? Either would work fine for me.

message 35: by Cat (new)

No, tomorrow will be better for me, thanks Judith :)

message 36: by Judith (new)

Okay! I’m caught by the US government shutdown so, hello free time

message 37: by Cat (last edited Jan 02, 2019 02:52AM) (new)

It turns out that I was utterly absorbed by this one, started listening last night and didn't even think about stopping until I suddenly heard the start of the next section and realised that it was gone midnight on a work day!

Will get questions up in next few hours :)

(Judith, thanks for the phrases - super helpful when listening!)

message 38: by Chava (new)

Chava | 1369 comments Cat wrote: "It turns out that I was utterly absorbed by this one, started listening last night and didn't even think about stopping until I suddenly heard the start of the next section and realised that it was..."

Isn't it wonderful when a book can capture you so much? I hope you can still focus today :)

message 39: by Judith (new)

I feel the same way! I’m glad I decided to do this BOM

message 40: by Cat (new)

Judith wrote: "I feel the same way! I’m glad I decided to do this BOM"

Yeah! initially I wasn't sure, but I'd've missed out....

message 41: by Cat (last edited Jan 02, 2019 05:34AM) (new)

DQ Day One

1. As discussed in the thread (see msgs 38 - 41), some of us went into this book unsure and have been sucked in! What were your thoughts before starting?

2. I'm listening to the audio, which seems perfect for this mix of podcast and Sadie's internal thoughts. Do you like the structure (different timelines / types of narration)?

3. The podcast narrator, West, is very ambivalent about whether this is a compelling story: "girls just go missing sometimes" he says, though his boss keeps pushing him to follow the story. Do you think that West is right - that girls going missing is routine, and not interesting to listeners?

4. Sadie's voice is SO vivid (and the audio narration of the stutter is wrenching), it makes her a compelling character to follow. We see different people interact with her stutter differently - it's an effective way to shine a light on the treatment of otherness. What other messages do you think the author is seeding in this book?

message 42: by Cat (new)

Answers:
1. I wasn't really expecting much - a standard thriller scenario with an Amy Dunne-light character (based on the red hoodie on the cover). Happily, that's not what I'm getting!

2. I'm so glad I'm getting the audio version - with a full cast too - which brings the added dimension to the book that audio can do sometimes! I'm enjoying the different voices and timeline slips - it helps build up the characters and tension.

3. I think it's such a sad indictment of the world that we can think that girls - or boys - going missing is just more of the same. I'm glad the boss is pushing to follow the story, though the murder is clearly a reason why there's more interest in Sadie going missing than however many other kids.

4. Hah! just realised that I'm struggling with an answer to this one. I feel like there are layers implied - around what it is to be family, decent people, judgement etc. Independence v interdependence too, maybe?

message 43: by Roberta (new)

Roberta Carbah | 6 comments 1) I knew that it was going to be a good book because its about solving a murder. I took Forensic Science in high school so I have always been absorbed by that type of science or story.

2) I like the different types of narration! I can't wait to see if the podcast catches up to see where Sadie is. For some reason I can follow along with the podcast section more than with Sadie's section.

3) Girls often do go missing a lot. The twist that this story gives is the West trying to find Sadie by going back to where she was and talking to people that she met to find out where Keith was.

4) Sadie always alludes back to her family. She always thinks about what May Beth told her to do before she carries out a action. I think the major seeding of this story is put your family first or do anything for your family.

message 44: by Judith (new)

DQ Day One

1. As discussed in the thread (see msgs 38 - 41), some of us went into this book unsure and have been sucked in! What were your thoughts before starting?

I was expecting an okay, YA murder/crime/mystery type, but not something I had to put down because I didn't want to read the next section until I had the DQs for Day 1 since I'm writing DQs for tomorrow.

2. I'm listening to the audio, which seems perfect for this mix of podcast and Sadie's internal thoughts. Do you like the structure (different timelines / types of narration)?

I like the structure fine, I think it works with building interest and suspense. I'm reading a hard copy, but I think it would probably be even better on audio.

3. The podcast narrator, West, is very ambivalent about whether this is a compelling story: "girls just go missing sometimes" he says, though his boss keeps pushing him to follow the story. Do you think that West is right - that girls going missing is routine, and not interesting to listeners?

Yes, I totally believe that. The number of people that go missing in the US every day is so disturbing (I'm sure other countries can say the same, unfortunately) yet it seems routine. People don't really care for more than the 30 second story lasts on the news unless there is something to make it stand out. Something in the story that makes them notice and become invested in the outcome.

4. Sadie's voice is SO vivid (and the audio narration of the stutter is wrenching), it makes her a compelling character to follow. We see different people interact with her stutter differently - it's an effective way to shine a light on the treatment of otherness. What other messages do you think the author is seeding in this book?

Don't underestimate people and family is what and who you make it to be and not only what you are born into.

message 45: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments DQ Day One

my thoughts before starting were kind of like 'eh, idk but why not' and after this first section that's really still where i'm at. i mean it's definitely not a bad book by any means and i am interested to see what happens, but it's not necessarily blowing me away. i know it's probably unfair to compare this to gillian flynn's books but i think it's kind of inevitable comparison and it seems a bit simplistic compared to other things i've read like this.

maybe i should have listened to the audio lol. on the one hand i like the different structure because it's a nice way to break up the book and i like it when authors put in little quotes or interviews or excerpts between the chapters, but on the other hand the script style dialogue is a bit confusing when you're reading with word runner so that's always an issue for me

i don't know if i would say it's not interesting to listeners, but it definitely is way more routine than it should be and i feel like girls go missing more than boys, or at least that girls going missing is publicized more than boys. especially in media it's such a thing to have a 'pretty dead girl' to be a plot point instead of an actual person so i'm hoping that we're going to get some kind of commentary on that moving forward.

again, this probably would have been a good book to get on audio lol. i definitely think it's an interesting way of setting sadie apart from other people and it definitely adds another layer of challenge to her situation since she is out on her own now and it's harder for her to communicate than most people. not sure if there's another message besides like 'everyone is different and don't treat them like shit for it' but we'll see lol

message 46: by Sagal (new)

Sagal Bashir | 4 comments 1: I knew it had a very hard sensitive topics, which is not for everyone. What got me to start reading was that I was interested about the murder in this, and wanted to know more about Sadie.

2: YES, I’m so in love with the narrative and timeline of how the book works. I have never read a book like this, which makes it so exciting! I will definitely listen to the audiobook after.

3: Not really a like routine but sure. It happens. But that doesn’t mean he should be categorizing it like it’s the same thing. Every missing person should be treated in a professionally way with respect to each individuals. They all matter. Their stories matter.

4. Hmmm, that it’s okay if your struggling with something, you learn a way to live with it.

message 47: by Sunny (new)

Sunny (sunnyisreading) | 340 comments I finished it and ugh. That's all I have to say right now. Ugh.

message 48: by Judith (new)

Oh no! 😟 that is not giving me the warm fuzzies. Not that these topics should give one warm fuzzies, but still

message 49: by Sunny (new)

Sunny (sunnyisreading) | 340 comments Ugh in a good way though. Just a bit disturbed and have to sleep it through before I can say anything else😅

message 50: by Tramaine (new)

Tramaine | 11 comments DQ Day One

1. Before starting, I thought that it was another contemporary YA novel with the typical lead female character. I was so wrong! The story pulled me in from the beginning.

2. I am listening to the book as well and LOVE the way that it is set up. It is performed as if it is truly a podcast. That pulls me in even more.

3. I agree with the podcast narrator that girls do go missing on the regular. That is something that is very prevalent in the world that we live in. Some of the stories do stand out more than others but it is such a regular occurrence.

4. Not only does the book focus on the treatment that she receives but it also shines the light on the fact that she perseveres through that. Yes, she is sometimes bashful when it comes to speaking but she still sets out to do what she has her mind settled on. She is a very strong character and the stutter adds to that.

« previous 1 3