Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Books of the Month > Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens ( January Adult/Non Fiction BOM ) starts January 16, 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod

For years, rumors of the “Marsh Girl” have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark, the so-called Marsh Girl. But Kya is not what they say. Sensitive and intelligent, she has survived for years alone in the marsh that she calls home, finding friends in the gulls and lessons in the sand. Then the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life–until the unthinkable happens.

Perfect for fans of Barbara Kingsolver and Karen Russell, Where the Crawdads Sing is at once an exquisite ode to the natural world, a heartbreaking coming-of-age story, and a surprising tale of possible murder. Owens reminds us that we are forever shaped by the children we once were, and that we are all subject to the beautiful and violent secrets that nature keeps.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 18, 2019 06:12AM) (new)

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages MPQDs

Jan 16 1-12 1-24% Judith
Jan 17 13-26 24-51% Rina
Break Day
Jan 19 27-42 51-75% Lexi
Jan 20 43-end 75-100% SandyL

* breakdown based on this kindle version Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 6: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 09, 2019 06:07AM) (new)

There were 7 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Judith
Rina
Lexi
SandyL
Laura
Suzanne
Jill

IP: 24.89.218.214
Timestamp: 2019-01-09 14:06:02 UTC

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 4890 comments Mod
I'm in and willing to write DQs

message 8: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 2646 comments I'm in as well and willing to write DQs

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I'll also volunteer to write DQ'S

message 10: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3755 comments I will be reading this next month and can write DQs if needed.

message 11: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4397 comments I'm volunteering to write DQ's!

message 12: by Roberta (new)

Roberta Carbah | 6 comments I will join in this one

message 13: by Rina (new)

Rina | 584 comments I am in and volunteer to write DQ's

message 14: by Elize (new)

Elize Russell (bookscookslooks) | 95 comments I am in!

message 15: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Decker | 77 comments This was highly recommended to me by one of my library patrons at work. Hoping my copy comes in for me in time.

message 16: by Brittany (new)

Brittany McCann (brittanylmccann) | 615 comments This book was SO good! Push through the beginning becuase it made me want to put it down and then it gets REALLY good!

message 17: by leah (new)

leah (leahwilliams) | 31 comments Has this one started yet

message 18: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Brittany wrote: "This book was SO good! Push through the beginning becuase it made me want to put it down and then it gets REALLY good!"

Leah wrote: "Has this one started yet"

No, it starts January 16. The reading schedule will be posted before the 16th.

Thanks for the heads up Brittany!

message 19: by Brittany (new)

Brittany McCann (brittanylmccann) | 615 comments Sorry for the confusion I just read this one about a month ago :)

message 20: by Jill (new)

Jill | 938 comments I volunteer for DQs

message 21: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Breakdown posted HERE

message 22: by Jill (new)

Jill | 938 comments Why do the same people keep getting "randomly" picked for DQs? Genuinely curious..

message 23: by Judith (new)

That day works for me!

message 24: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 2646 comments Jill wrote: "Why do the same people keep getting "randomly" picked for DQs? Genuinely curious.."

This is the first time for me so maybe the names just seem similar.

message 25: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 2646 comments My day works for me

message 26: by Jill (last edited Jan 09, 2019 08:16AM) (new)

Jill | 938 comments Lexi wrote: "Jill wrote: "Why do the same people keep getting "randomly" picked for DQs? Genuinely curious.."

This is the first time for me so maybe the names just seem similar."

The other three people have already written for the past 3-4 books. So out of 4 people, 3 are repeats.

message 27: by Judith (new)

I know I was selected for both books this month but that is unusual. I wrote questions for a book a few months ago and before that it was close to Year I think.

It just depends on who signs up (and the number of people who volunteer) and luck of the randomizer.

message 28: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 2646 comments Jill wrote: "Lexi wrote: "Jill wrote: "Why do the same people keep getting "randomly" picked for DQs? Genuinely curious.."

This is the first time for me so maybe the names just seem similar."

The other three ..."

It really does not matter so this is my last comment , but Judith has done 2 others since November and the others have only done 1 other each out of 20 different sets.

message 29: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Jill wrote: "Why do the same people keep getting "randomly" picked for DQs? Genuinely curious.."

Hi Jill,
I used a random organizer as we had more people volunteer than needed.
https://www.random.org/lists/
I also didn't get chosen to write DQ's; this time or the last few times I volunteered. As Judith explained quite accurately it does depend on who sign ups and the number of people who volunteer and luck of the randomizer.

Sorry you didn't get chosen; we would love for you to volunteer for February's BOM's if they interest you.

Thanks to everyone who volunteered and thanks to those writing DQ's ; we certainly do appreciate it!

~Laura

message 30: by Jill (new)

Jill | 938 comments The last handful of times I volunteered, I have come up last on the random organizer list. It is just very odd that I end up on the exact same place on the list every single time, which is why I commented. It seems like the early volunteers always get picked, which is fine. Just good to know for the future..

message 31: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Jill wrote: "The last handful of times I volunteered, I have come up last on the random organizer list. It is just very odd that I end up on the exact same place on the list every single time, which is why I co..."

I'd disagree with you as I was an early volunteer and didn't get picked either time. Either way I'm happy to read and discuss whether I get chosen to write DQ's or not.

message 32: by [[ Frankie ]] (new)

[[ Frankie ]] (freedbyfiction) | 536 comments I would love to participate in this reading! I’ve been eyeing this book. Gotta make sure I grab my copy before it starts!

message 33: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Welcome Frankie; we are happy to have you join us ( along with everyone else) This one does look good!

message 34: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (spoiled_1) | 1 comments I already started it. I came here to check after I started. Guess I can stop and read something else for a few days.

message 35: by Marla (new)

Marla | 1672 comments My mother-in-law just gave me this book to read. I am going on vacation on 1/15 - 1/21, but I'll try to pop in and comment.

message 36: by Chava (new)

Chava | 1369 comments yey, the book has just come in at the library for me. Now I'll be able to keep up, hopefully! (I don't read as fast on my Kindle for some reason...)

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I just started this! I'm about 6% in and enjoying it despite the hard to read about topic.

message 38: by Judith (new)

Laura wrote: "I just started this! I'm about 6% in and enjoying it despite the hard to read about topic."

I'm really enjoying it too!! I'm glad I picked this one up and, so far at least, I understand its hype.

message 39: by Judith (new)

Jan 16th - DQs Day 1
Chapter 1 through 12

1.) What made you decide to read this book? Have you read any of her nonfiction books? If so, any you'd recommend?

2.) I think the author has a way with describing nature that makes it come alive off the page in a manner many authors don't seem to be able to do. I feel as though the marsh is as important a character in the story as Kya. How does Owens descriptions make you feel about the marsh and do you see it as another major character of the story?

3.) Can you imagine being on your own, not being able to read at 10? Why do you think her brother didn't take her with him? Do you think Jumpin' and other marsh dwellers know she is completely alone? Think her dad is coming back?

4.) Why is it that people who have the least always seem willing to help the most? The struggling people of Coloured Town, in a single day, help Kya more than the way more well off white people ever even considered doing. They called a 6 year old swamp trash to her face, ignored crime because 'why stop rats from killing rats', and even preacher wives called her dirty and blamed her for spreading disease. Do you think this is an unfair characterization of our society? Does reading this make you take a second look at some of your own judgments of people?

5.) We know only know a snippet about the crime and a wee bit about the victim. What are your guesses as to how this part of the story line will intertwine with Kya's?

message 40: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3231 comments Jan 16th - DQs Day 1
Chapter 1 through 12

1.) What made you decide to read this book? Have you read any of her nonfiction books? If so, any you'd recommend?

I had some GR friends that had read this one and recommended it. I haven't read any of her other work. I don't think I'd even heard of her before this.

2.) I think the author has a way with describing nature that makes it come alive off the page in a manner many authors don't seem to be able to do. I feel as though the marsh is as important a character in the story as Kya. How does Owens descriptions make you feel about the marsh and do you see it as another major character of the story?

I agree with your assessment. The marsh is so well described that it feels like a character. I think the wildlife within the marsh also helps to give it life.

3.) Can you imagine being on your own, not being able to read at 10? Why do you think her brother didn't take her with him? Do you think Jumpin' and other marsh dwellers know she is completely alone? Think her dad is coming back?

I can't even imagine being on my own at 10 years old. Even being able to read, I would not have been able to do it.

I'm not sure why her brother didn't her. Maybe he felt unable to care for her on his own or thought they might look for him if she was with him? I would imagine adding the responsibility of a little sister would be really difficult for him at that time. I also wonder if it was just a decision where she wasn't considered and he just needed to get away. He was still young himself.

I don't know what Jumpin and the other marsh dwellers know at this point. They might have an idea that he's not there. Some of them may possibly even know what happened to him.

4.) Why is it that people who have the least always seem willing to help the most? The struggling people of Coloured Town, in a single day, help Kya more than the way more well off white people ever even considered doing. They called a 6 year old swamp trash to her face, ignored crime because 'why stop rats from killing rats', and even preacher wives called her dirty and blamed her for spreading disease. Do you think this is an unfair characterization of our society? Does reading this make you take a second look at some of your own judgments of people?

It's sad how the white people in town are so terrible to her. I do think that people often judge others harshly, but I hope not so directly most of the time. It seems that it is accepted and really expected in their town to exclude the people from the marsh. They really do seem to look down on them as a whole.

I was so glad that Jumpin and his wife and their community chose to help Kya. I think they understand what it's like to be looked down upon by the others in the town.

5.) We know only know a snippet about the crime and a wee bit about the victim. What are your guesses as to how this part of the story line will intertwine with Kya's?

According to the blurb, the town is going to suspect Kya of the crime. I'm not sure why or if it's just easy for them to blame the outsider, someone they already look down upon and don't expect much from.

message 41: by Sharon (last edited Jan 16, 2019 11:55AM) (new)

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 367 comments 1.) What made you decide to read this book? Have you read any of her nonfiction books? If so, any you'd recommend?
This was actually a pick for the Reese Witherspoon Book Club. I haven't yet been steered wrong by one of those selections, so I figured I'd give this one a shot. So glad I did!

I see the marsh as kind of like Kya's family, since her actual family members have left her.

Not at all! I am so impressed with her survival skills and resolve. (And not being able to read - worst nightmare!)

I agree with Kristie, I think Jumpin and his family helped Kya because they knew what it was like to be shunned by the town. The townspeople made me so angry with their treatment of an innocent little girl.

message 42: by Laura (last edited Jan 16, 2019 12:16PM) (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Jan 16th - DQs Day 1
Chapter 1 through 12

I nominated this book for BOM because it looked so interesting and yeah it won. Its also a GR choice award nominee so helps fit some of the challenges I am in. I also try to read as many of the BOM books that interest me. ( I haven't been very successful lately)
I haven't read anything else by Owens. How much I like this book will influence whether I read another by her.

I agree, it does feel like the Marsh is another character. Owens descriptions make it feel like I 'm right on the marsh with Kya. Realistically, I know the marsh is a dangerous place but Owens makes us feel like the marsh is another character... one we want to like.

No, I can't imagine being on my own at 10. I wouldn't have survived as well as Kya is. I think her brother didn't take her when he left because he didn't know where he was going and how he was going to look after himself let alone a little sister.
I think Jumpin' knows she is completely alone; I suspect the others know too. I don't think her dad is coming back.

No, I don't think this is an unfair characterization of society; the book is dated in the 1960's; this happened then. Unfortunately, even today, people still judge others.

I've read ahead a bit - almost to the end of the 2nd day of reading - and I'm really hoping that (view spoiler)

message 43: by Kim (last edited Jan 16, 2019 01:48PM) (new)

Kim 1.) What made you decide to read this book? Have you read any of her nonfiction books? If so, any you'd recommend?

It was more NBRC itself that led me to this novel, which I am grateful for. I've never been part of a book club, and it was something I wanted to try out this year. The book stood out to me as a unique story, and I'm a sucker for a good mystery. The fact that it is the author's debut novel was also an endearing characteristic, and I searched high and low to get my hands on it in time. I did not realize she had written non-fictions, but this has sparked curiosity within me being that her subjects have been relative to her life as a wildlife scientist. I definitely want to read "The Eye of the Elephant".

Very much agree that nature comes alive as you read, and this probably has a lot to do with Owens' background in wildlife sciences. I find myself continually re-reading paragraphs to dive into experiencing the environment as if I were there, which to me is a telltale sign of a great read. Not only can you imagine the wildlife surrounding you, but other senses like sound and smell are very prominent factors as well. I do see the marsh as a character not only because of Owens' tremendous description tuning into all of your senses, but also that it acts as a great teacher and friend to Kya which inevitably adds to it's character development.

My heart goes out to her as a child of only ten fending for herself in more ways than just struggling with literacy. This novel has already had me develop quite a bit of emotional attachment to Kya's character, like you desperately want to help her, or at least join her in her struggle. I find the fact that all of the siblings, and mother (maybe father), mysteriously disappearing into thin air without much word very curious. I have a feeling their decision to leave and their reasoning behind it will play a role in the twists and turns near the end of the story. I think the marsh dwellers probably have their suspicions about her solitude, but are gun shy being that she is very closed off and to herself. I think the fact that Jumpin snuck a free candy bar into her bag extends an olive branch to her gesturing that there is help available should she need.

I don't believe it is necessarily unfair to characterize it as such. Many small southern towns in the 1950s probably had that bad reputation, and we have come a long way from that time. That being said, I forsee a moral to this story in relation to the unfair judgement and criticism. I try to be consciously aware of my surroundings and empathetic to every person around me constantly, but it is nonetheless a good reminder and motivation to continue to drive change.

I have picked up small tid-bits about the fact that Kya knows the marsh and the land so well that she can do many things to manipulate it into keeping her safe. An example would be running onto specific areas of land to make her footprints disappear, or knowing the best places to hide so that you can still be watchful or escape. My guess is that this, among other factors, is a big reason why they are suspicious of her, though it is unwarranted.

message 44: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4397 comments Jan 16th - DQs Day 1
Chapter 1 through 12

The Upside Down Challenge. 😊 No, I've never heard of this author before.

The marsh makes me think of mud and bugs and creepy things. I guess it could be considered a character in that it can hold many secrets.

I couldn't believe when Kya's mother left all her kids, then when her siblings left, and then her last brother. And then her dad! It was so sad and it's hard to believe someone as young as Kya could find a way to take care of herself in those conditions (or at all.) I don't think her dad is coming back.

I think these things still exist, more than ever these days. It's pretty sad. And yes, when I read books or articles like this, it does make me think more about how I look at others.

Well, the blurb mentions two men who are interested in her, so I'm guessing it will turn out that Chase was one of them.

message 45: by Marythios (AkaSusanne ) (last edited Jan 16, 2019 08:51PM) (new)

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 163 comments Jan 16th - DQs Day 1
Chapter 1 through 12

I decided to read this book because it was picked for the book of the month and the story looked interesting to me. Also this book was a runner up for the choice awards. This author is new to me.

2.) I think the author has a way with describing nature that makes it come alive off the page in a manner many authors don't seem to be able to do. I feel as though the marsh is as important a character in the story as Kya. How does Owens descriptions make you feel about the marsh and do you see it as another major character of the story? Yes, I do in the story it states that the marsh becomes Kya mother. The details are so vivid you can picture being there in the marsh.

3.) Can you imagine being on your own, not being able to read at 10? Why do you think her brother didn't take her with him? Do you think Jumpin' and other marsh dwellers know she is completely alone? Think her dad is coming back? No, I cannot imagine being on my own but the situation in Kya's home situation is horrid because of domestic violence and abuse. I think he realized it was going to be tough enough to survive on his own and that it would be to much responsibility to have to care for her. Yes, I think he figured it out when he was only seeing her coming to the wharf.
No, I do not think he will come back and to be honest it would be better for her because he may harm her by beating on her.

4.) Why is it that people who have the least always seem willing to help the most? The struggling people of Coloured Town, in a single day, help Kya more than the way more well off white people ever even considered doing. They called a 6 year old swamp trash to her face, ignored crime because 'why stop rats from killing rats', and even preacher wives called her dirty and blamed her for spreading disease. Do you think this is an unfair characterization of our society? Does reading this make you take a second look at some of your own judgments of people? They know what it feels like they where treated the same or have the same experiences. They figured someone has to help that young girl. No, you can look at society today and people do not really care about the poor they think they are lazy and it is their fault for the situation they are in. No, I am a social worker and I have always advocated for the least among us who do not have a voice. I am pissed that there is no intervention from social services or even the police. People are not ignorant to what was going on in that shack but they close a blind eye to it.

5.) We know only know a snippet about the crime and a wee bit about the victim. What are your guesses as to how this part of the story line will intertwine with Kya's? Kya is like a chameleon she blends into the environment. She knows the marsh how to interact with it and how to use it to protect herself. Her ma told her to stay away from men that they are dangerous. i can see Chase going after her because she is a virgin and a conquest to be the first to get it from her. Whatever happened I think Kya did it to stop rape if she did this. She could of covered it up to protect someone who has been nice to her as well.

message 46: by Sara (last edited Jan 17, 2019 01:46PM) (new)

Sara | 15 comments Jan 16th - DQs Day 1
Chapter 1 through 12

1..What made you decide to read this book? Have you read any of her nonfiction books? If so, any you’d recommend?

I decided to read this book because I have never participated in a book club and wanted to learn about different books. I have never read a book by this author and this is a different type of book so I am without any expectations going in. Since this is the first book from this author I have read, I have no recommendations but would love to hear others recommendations!

2. I think the author has a way of describing nature that makes it come alive off the page in a manner many authors don’t seem to be able to do. I feel as though the marsh is as important a character in the story as Kya. How does Owens descriptions make you feel about the marsh and do you see it as another major character of the story?

While I am not as familiar with the marshes and swamp areas....I can honestly say she makes it feel very alive to me which is hard as I have no familiarity with it. I do think the marsh is just as an important character as Kya as it seems to help define Kya. She couldn’t rely on her own family but through her knowledge of the marsh it is the one area that has earned her trust in a way. The marsh seems to guide Kya or help her along the way....such as when she stepped on the rusted nail and used the mud and brackish water to help her foot heal. She talks to the birds and relies on the mussels and fish not only for food but for money as well. It is truly her means of survival and her only “friend” that she can rely upon.

3. Can you imagine being on your own, not being able to read at 10? Why do you think her brother didn’t take her with him? Do you think Jumpin’ and other marsh dwellers know she is completely alone? Think her dad is coming back?

I couldn’t even begin to imagine....being abandoned by blood relatives, learning how to survive as Kya is and not knowing how to read. However it is wierd because I have a feeling we are going to see Kya not as a book smart person but one that is intelligent in the sense of survival and with nature.

To be honest, I was surprised that her mother left her with an abusive husband and father as she was so young, Then one by one the siblings left knowing their father would leave for days....it doesn’t make sense. I do think if anyone has any idea that she is by herself it might be Jumpin’ and his wife, Instead of stating, her family is broke, Jumpin’ said she was broke in the singular sense so that makes me think he knows her Dad is gone. As far as her Dad goes, I have no idea if he will be coming back. I have a feeling he won’t be back but I don’t know as there still is a lot of the story that is going to be told.

4. Why is it the people who have the least always seem willing to help the most? The struggling people of Coloured Town, in a single day, help Kya more than the way more well off white people ever even considered doing. They called a 6 year old swamp trash to her face, ignored crime because ‘why stop rats from killing other rats’ and even preacher wives called her dirty and blamed her for spreading disease. Do you think this is an unfair characterization of our society? Does reading this make you take a second look at some of your own judgements of people?

I would like to think that people who have the least give help because they know what it feels like to receive help. It made me smile to know that Jumpin’ went to his wife and together came up with a way to help Kya without taking away her pride, but yet still giving her the necessary things needed. The people in town were definitely awful to her, especially the girls in her class and a few others that she has run into. I guess I like to look at them not as a group but as individuals. The cashier who is teaching her about money, the boy who guided her home.....all did something that was in it’s own way kind and helpful. I do not think this is an unfair characterization of our society during that time at all unfortunately and is still present today. I try to do my best in helping others and to not judge...and this book is another way to remind myself to not judge or to think about how others live. As a whole I think this question also makes me look at that as I don’t like grouping people together....as they are not all the same. We will see how some of these characters develop as the story goes on, but the optimist in me is hoping to see good come from multiple areas and not just from one area and that Kya is the center of it all.

5. We know only a snippet about the crime and a wee bit about the victim. What are your guesses as to how this part of the story line will intertwine with Kya’s?

I am honestly not sure......perhaps he ends up going out partying out in the marsh or Kya has to buy something from his parents store. Kya doesn’t seem to know many people’s names but she knows his name and so it will be interesting to see where their paths cross.

message 47: by Tramaine (new)

Tramaine | 11 comments DQ Day One

1. NBRC pushed me to read this book in my effort to be more active in this group. I have not read any this author's books as this is my first time hearing of her.

2. She is very descriptive of the marsh. It makes me think that she grew up in that kind of area. I do believe that it plays a very important part in the story.

3. I could never imagine being able not to read. It opens so many doors and to be robbed with that would be horrific. She is alone but not totally alone because Pa is there. Jodie knew that and would rather leave her with Pa than have to drag him around. I'm sure Jodie had no destination in mind but just wanted to get away. I think that the different town people think that something isn't right and that is why they try to help her. I don't believe that her dad is coming back. The letter really jolted him and I think that has no intentions on returning to Kya and that shack.

4. I don't think that this is an unfair characterization of our society. We do seem to look down on those who are not on the same level or not in the same place as us. There are a few of us that help those who need help but that is heavily outweighed by gender, class and race discrimination. We as a society need to be more like the people of Coloured Town.

5. I believe that Kya is the one mentioned that lives in the marsh. I believe that she knows what happened or maybe she could even be the killer.

message 48: by Rina (new)

Rina | 584 comments DQs Day 2

6. We are halfway through the book. I have to admit I was struggling with the first chapters, but now it has got better. How do you like the book so far?
7. "It didn't fit that anyone who liked birds would be mean", chap. 15. Do you agree with Kya on this? There are many similar statements with other animals, e.g. "Never trust a man who doesn't like dogs". What animal would you put in such a statement?
8. In chapter 16 we learn more about Kya's parents and their marriage. Did it change your feelings about Maria leaving her children?
9. Now we know a bit more about Chase. What do you think has happened? How did Chase die?
10. Do you think Kya will meet people who left her? Her mother, brother and sisters, Tate?

message 49: by Sara (new)

Sara | 15 comments Jan 17th - DQs Day 2
Chapters 13 to 26

6. We are halfway through the book. I have to admit I was struggling with the first chapters, but now it has got better. How do you like the book so far?

I actually didn’t struggle as much getting into it but Kya’s wording at first took a little bit to get used to and how she talks to herself, but that is part of the storyline so it goes with it. So far I am liking it and have more questions and am looking forward to what is to come.

7. "It didn't fit that anyone who liked birds would be mean", chap. 15. Do you agree with Kya on this? There are many similar statements with other animals, e.g. "Never trust a man who doesn't like dogs". What animal would you put in such a statement?

I think that Kya’s thinking on this shows her youthful way of thinking. It is a very simple way of thinking and very innocent. While I think most people like animals there are just some people who don’t but that doesn’t make them a bad person, However, I do think that people who identify with an animal show a soft spot and want to help living creatures so it is a positive trait. Personally, I would have put a dog in the sentence but that doesn’t quite go with the story.

8. In chapter 16 we learn more about Kya's parents and their marriage. Did it change your feelings about Maria leaving her children?

Actually it made me understand why she left her husband given all the circumstances that we know but again it is hard for me to understand why she would leave her young daughter or teenagers to fend for themselves given that he abused her but also the oldest kids as well. Being a Mom it just doesn’t feel right.

9. Now we know a bit more about Chase. What do you think has happened? How did Chase die?

I still am not sure what happened....it could be something with Kya or Kya helping someone else out. I just don’t envision Kya killing someone and thinking about how to cover it up as she just knows how to run and hide. For all we kmow his wife could have killed him and Kya covered all the tracks.

10. Do you think Kya will meet people who left her? Her mother, brother and sisters, Tate?

At this point I would find it surprising if she meets her family again, but I think Tate will come back into the picture. I also wonder if Tate and Chase will cross paths as well too.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 163 comments DQs Day 2

I personally like the book a lot. I am sad that everyone keeps abandoning her but I also realize she is very resilient young girl.

They way she looks at everything as a child would with innocence she is a very curious young girl. She has a natural connection to nature they are one. She can blend in easily and knows how to get around in it. I am a lover of dogs and i have a tender heart for all creatures. I think that is why I am a social worker.

No, but I understood why she believed her husband would change and when she realized he was never going to change she had to do something about it. I think she thought that if she left he would not harm the kids that she was what made him angry. She is a battered women. She left behind a good life her family owned a business she would have had a better future but her husband was just bad news. He drank to much because of his war scares. I think he used that as a crutch to continue his bad behavior without recourse.

I think he slept with the wrong women and some guy got pissed. I think he wanted to sleep with all the women. I think Kya found him dead she had feelings for him. Kya also could be the one who did it after catching him with another women. She does not understand relationships and how love works fully yet. The possibilities are endless.

I think she will see Tate again I think he had to focus on school to ensure he could support her. I am not sure about the others. I am surprised that none came back to even check on her.

« previous 1