Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2019 Plans > Sherri W.'s 2019 plan(s)!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherri (last edited Dec 16, 2018 06:56PM) (new)

Sherri | 12 comments UPDATE, 16 December 2018. I think I'm close to having a complete plan--except for the "published in 2019" prompt. Heaven only know whether I'll actually follow through on this as planned out... ;)

1. A book that was nominated for or won an award in a genre you enjoy -- The New Negro: The Life of Alain Locke by Jeffrey C. Stewart
2. A book with one of the 5 W's in the title (Who, What, Where, When, Why) -- Who Thought This Was a Good Idea?: And Other Questions You Should Have Answers to When You Work in the White House by Alyssa Mastromonaco
3. A book where the author’s name contains A, T, and Y -- Hospital Sketches by Louisa May Alcott
4. A book with a criminal character (i.e. assassin, pirate, thief, robber, scoundrel etc) -- Caveat Emptor: The Secret Life of an American Art Forger by Ken Perenyi
5. A book by Shakespeare or inspired by Shakespeare -- one of the Hogarth Shakespeare series
6. A book with a dual timeline -- Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
7. 2 books related to the same topic, genre, or theme: Book #1 -- Off to Be the Wizard by Scott Meyer
8. 2 books related to the same topic, genre, or theme: Book #2 -- Spell or High Water by Scott Meyer
9. A book from one of the top 5 money making genres (romance/erotica, crime/mystery, religious/inspirational, science fiction/fantasy or horror) -- Binti by Nnedi Okorafor
10. A book featuring an historical figure -- My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand & co.
11. A book related to one of the 12 Zodiac Chinese Animals (title, cover, subject) -- Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
12. A book about reading, books or an author/writer -- Portrait Of An Artist, As An Old Man by Joseph Heller
13. A book that is included on a New York Public Library Staff Picks list -- Eloquent Rage: A Black Feminist Discovers Her Superpower by Britteny Cooper
14. A book with a title, subtitle or cover relating to an astronomical term -- The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
15. A book by an author from a Mediterranean country or set in a Mediterranean country -- Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
16. A book told from multiple perspectives -- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
17. A speculative fiction (i.e. fantasy, scifi, horror, dystopia) -- 11/22/63 by Stephen King
18. A book related to one of the elements on the periodic table of elements -- The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore
19. A book by an author who has more than one book on your TBR -- Ms. Marvel, Vol. 4: Last Days by G. Willow Wilson
20. A book featuring indigenous people of a country -- The Swan Book by Alexis Wright
21. A book from one of the polarizing or close call votes (poetry and minimal Godreads reviews) -- Obsidian Blues by Herman Beavers
22. A book with a number in the title or on the cover -- Barefoot Gen, Volume One: A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima by Keiji Nakazawa
23. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #1 Something Old -- Less by Andrew Sean Greer
24. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #2 Something New -- Becoming by Michelle Obama
25. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #3 Something Borrowed -- Believe Me: A Memoir of Love, Death, and Jazz Chickens by Eddie Izzard
26. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #4 Something Blue -- Mo' Meta Blues: The World According to Questlove by Questlove
27. A book off of the 1001 books to read before you die list -- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
28. A book related to something cold (i.e. theme, title, author, cover, etc.) -- Winter by Marissa Meyer
29. A book published before 1950 -- Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
30. A book featuring an elderly character -- As Brave As You by Jason Reynolds
31. A children’s classic you’ve never read -- The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
32. A book with more than 500 pages -- Ulysses by James Joyce
33. A book you have owned for at least a year, but have not read yet -- Watchmen by Alan Moore
34. A book with a person's name in the title -- Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross
35. A psychological thriller -- The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn
36. A book featured on an NPR Best Books of the Year list -- The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry
37. A book set in a school or university -- The Secret History by Donna Tartt
38. A book not written in traditional novel format (poetry, essay, epistolary, graphic novel, etc) -- This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki
39. A book with a strong sense of place or where the author brings the location/setting to life -- Let's Play Dead by Sheila Connolly
40. A book you stumbled upon -- Love Is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield
41. A book from the 2018 GR Choice Awards -- Circe by Madeline Miller
42. A book with a monster or "monstrous" character -- Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
43. A book related to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) [fiction or nonfiction] -- The Martian by Andy Weir
44. A book related in some way to a tv show/series or movie you enjoyed (same topic, same era, book appeared in the show/movie, etc.) -- Watership Down by Richard Adams
45. A multi-generational saga -- The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende
46. A book with a (mostly) black cover -- The Road by Cormac McCarthy
47. A book related to food (i.e. title, cover, plot, etc.) -- Eight Flavors: The Untold Story of American Cuisine by Sarah Lohman
48. A book that was a finalist or winner for the National Book Award for any year -- Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman
49. A book written by a Far East Asian author or set in a Far East Asian country -- Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang
50. A book that includes a journey (physical, health, or spiritual) -- Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela
51. A book published in 2019
52. A book with a weird or intriguing title -- Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart

message 2: by Sherri (last edited Dec 16, 2018 07:15PM) (new)

Sherri | 12 comments Sherri wrote: "Here, as of 13 December 2018, is my plan for the ATY categories.

Lots left to figure out and update!

1. A book that was nominated for or won an award in a genre you enjoy
2. A book with one of ..."

And, just to keep myself organized, a start at my PopSugar plan. (LAST UPDATED 16 Dec 2018):

Regular
1. Becoming a movie in 2019 -- The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn
2. Makes me nostalgic -- Becoming by Michele Obama
3. Written by a musician -- Mo' Meta Blues: The World According to Questlove by Questlove
4. Think should be turned into a movie -- 11/22/63 by Stephen King
5. 1 Mil+ ratings on Goodreads -- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
6. Plant in title or on cover -- The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
7. Re-read a favorite book -- Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery
8. About a hobby -- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
9. Meant to read in 2018 -- Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
10. "With "pop," "sugar," or "challenge" in the title -- Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman
11. Item of clothing or accessory on cover -- Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman
12. Inspired by mythology, legend, or folklore -- Circe by Madeline Miller
13. Published posthumously -- Portrait Of An Artist, As An Old Man by Joseph Heller
14. See somebody reading on TV or in a movie -- Watership Down by Richard Adams
15. Retelling of classic -- one of the Hogarth Shakespeare
16. Question in the title -- Who Thought This Was a Good Idea?: And Other Questions You Should Have Answers to When You Work in the White House by Alyssa Mastromonaco
17. Set on a college or university campus -- The Secret History by Donna Tartt
18. About someone with a superpower -- Ms. Marvel, Vol. 4: Last Days by G. Willow Wilson
19. Told from multiple character POVs -- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
20. Set in space -- The Martian by Andy Weir
21. By two female authors -- My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton & Jodi Meadows
22. Title containing "salty," "sweet," "bitter," or "spicy" -- All That Is Bitter and Sweet: A Memoir by Ashley Judd
23. Set in Scandinavia -- Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder
24. Takes place in a single day -- Ulysses by James Joyce
25. Debut novel -- Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
26. Published in 2019
27. Featuring an extinct or imaginary creature -- The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry
28. Recommended by a celebrity I admire (Emma Watson's Our Shared Shelf) -- Eloquent Rage: A Black Feminist Discovers Her Superpower by Brittney Cooper
29. With "love" in the title -- Love Is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield
30. Featuring an amateur detective -- Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart
31. About a family -- Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang
32. By an author from Asia, Africa, or South America -- Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela
33. With a zodiac sign or astrology term in the title -- The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
34. Includes a wedding -- Less by Andrew Sean Greer
35. Author whose first & last names start with the same letter -- Winter by Marissa Meyer
36. Ghost story -- Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
37. Two-word title -- The Road by Cormac McCarthy
38. Based on a true story -- Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally
39. Revolving around a puzzle or game -- An Unwelcome Quest by Scott Meyer
40. Favorite prompt from previous challenge (2015: started but never finished) -- Watchmen by Alan Moore

Advanced
1. Cli-fi -- The Swan Book by Alexis Wright
2. Choose your own adventure -- Romeo and/or Juliet: A Chooseable-Path Adventure by Ryan North
3. #ownvoices -- Margarita, How Beautiful the Sea by Sergio Ramirez
4. Read a book during the season it's set in -- Hygge: The Danish Art of Happiness by Marie Tourell Søderberg
5. LitRPG -- Off to Be the Wizard by Scott Meyer
6. No chapters/unusual chapters headings/unconventionally numbered chapters -- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
7. Two books with same title (1) -- Spell or High Water by Scott Meyer
8. Two books with same title (2) -- Spell or High Water by ReGina Welling, Erin Lynn, et al.
9. Book that has inspired a common idiom or phrase -- Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner
10. Set in an abbey, cloister, monastery, vicarage or convent -- Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross