Graphic Novel/Manga Reading Challenge 2019 discussion

Prompt Discussions > 40. A True Story Challenge

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt | 117 comments Mod
A Graphic Novel or Series whose contents are biographical or Non-Fiction in nature.

message 3: by Arya (new)

Arya | 1 comments There are a wide range depending on one’s interests.

Off the top of my head, From Hell is a heavily annotated account as to one crazy theory behind the Jack the Ripper murders in Whitechapel.

March is a series written in conjunction with Congressman John Lewis loosely based on the civil rights marches from his perspective.

Cuba: My Revolution shows a Cuban medical student’s viewpoint as Fidel Castro rose to power and the fallout on her family’s life.

Within the past year, a graphic novel biography of Thelonius Monk called Monk!; Thelonious, Pannonica, and the Friendship Behind a Musical Revolution came out. I really want to dig into this one.

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt | 117 comments Mod
Some excellent suggestions! I'm currently reading Marvelocity: The Marvel Comics Art of Alex Ross a graphic memoir of comic artist Alex Ross (though I hesitate to call it a graphic novel; if anyone else if familiar with it please weigh in.)

Some others to consider:

Super Chill: A Year of Living Anxiously

The Harlem Hellfighters

The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage

Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths

Filmish: A Graphic Journey Through Film

message 5: by 47Time (new)

47Time | 51 comments Thank you for these. This group has recommended some cool comics I may never have found on my own, so I'm again glad I joined.

message 6: by Matt (new)

Matt | 117 comments Mod
47Time wrote: "Thank you for these. This group has recommended some cool comics I may never have found on my own, so I'm again glad I joined."

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we are happy to have you! I'm so glad that you all seem to enjoy the group and the challenge; it started off as just an idea that I really didn't think would go anywhere, but I am happy to proven wrong.

Also, thank you so much for your contributions as well! You have brought a number of books to my attention (and I'm sure others here) that I would never have thought to check out. Go Team GN!