Graphic Novel/Manga Reading Challenge 2019 discussion

Prompt Discussions > 24. The Soldier Challenge

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt | 117 comments Mod
Graphic Novel or series about a soldier or fighter involved in or dealing with the fallout of their involvement in a war.

message 3: by 47Time (new)

47Time | 51 comments I read a few of these. They're splendid choices.

I went with The Losers, Vol. 1: Ante Up. I hope it's relevant.

message 4: by Erin (last edited Dec 27, 2018 09:37AM) (new)

Erin (panelparty) I read We Stand On Guard earlier this year and really enjoyed it!

I think I will probably go with The Other Side, Sand + Bone, or The Divine.

message 5: by Matt (new)

Matt | 117 comments Mod
The Losers, Vol. 1: Ante Up completely fits, and I did not realize that Jock was the artist, which immediately gives it a leg up for me.

I read We Stand On Guard when it was coming out in single issues, and the story just had me hooked. The premise was so interesting and unexpected; I really hope they find a way to expand on the universe of the book, if not just doing a straight up sequel.

message 6: by 47Time (new)

47Time | 51 comments I just finished reading a series that fits this prompt perfectly. Below is the link to the first volume of collected one-shots from a while back. Volume 3 starts collecting the second part of the series which is made up of independent, longer stories with a ton of heart. I heartily recommend the whole series for its varied characters, attention to detail, humor and realism when portraying war and human relationships.
War Stories, Volume 1

message 7: by Matt (new)

Matt | 117 comments Mod
47Time wrote: "I just finished reading a series that fits this prompt perfectly. Below is the link to the first volume of collected one-shots from a while back. Volume 3 starts collecting the second part of the s..."

One look and I saw Garth Ennis, which sold me right then and there. The I saw the artists included Dave Gibbons and John Higgins. Needless to say, If I could include the Leonardo Dicaprio .gif from Django Unchained I would.