Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2018 > The Book Thief - December 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Persephone6 (last edited Dec 14, 2018 12:19PM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments We are starting a buddy read on the 13th. Everyone is welcome to join and discuss the book!

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Please mark your posts with where you are at in the book and use spoiler tags as needed

It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will be busier still.

By her brother's graveside, Liesel's life is changed when she picks up a single object, partially hidden in the snow. It is The Gravedigger's Handbook, left behind there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery. So begins a love affair with books and words, as Liesel, with the help of her accordian-playing foster father, learns to read. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever there are books to be found.

But these are dangerous times. When Liesel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Liesel's world is both opened up, and closed down.

In superbly crafted writing that burns with intensity, award-winning author Markus Zusak has given us one of the most enduring stories of our time.

message 2: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments So excited! How many pages do you want to set for a day then?

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 18 comments Hope you guys love this!

message 4: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Kirsten wrote: "Hope you guys love this!"

Hi Kristen, want to join the read? :) Brit and I are still working out the details.

message 5: by Britt (new)

Britt Meter I'm currently up to page 63. The page looks good as :)

message 6: by Britt (new)

Britt Meter so we can discuss the pages from up to page 70 or under from the book thief.

message 7: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments I've been reading it so I caught up to on page seventy this morning :) How about fifty pages a day then?

message 8: by Thereadingbell (new)

Thereadingbell | 296 comments can I join you on the buddy read? I picked up the book today from the library.

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 6032 comments Mod
Hi all! Please use spoiler tags when discussing in case someone wants to join the discussion later. Just state where you are in the book so that others know when it is safe to click on the spoiler.

message 10: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Susanne V Bell wrote: "can I join you on the buddy read? I picked up the book today from the library."

Sure, welcome Susanne!

message 11: by Persephone6 (last edited Dec 14, 2018 12:23PM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Kristie wrote: "Hi all! Please use spoiler tags when discussing in case someone wants to join the discussion later. Just state where you are in the book so that others know when it is safe to click on the spoiler."

Will do! I just posted a "use spoilers tags as needed" at the top of the page.

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 18 comments Persephone6 wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "Hope you guys love this!"

Hi Kristen, want to join the read? :) Brit and I are still working out the details."

I read this several years back. Way before the film and before my dad's death in 2013. It may have been when it was released as I recall it being in hardcover. It made me bawl!

message 13: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Kirsten wrote: "Persephone6 wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "Hope you guys love this!"

Hi Kristen, want to join the read? :) Brit and I are still working out the details."

I read this several years back. Way before the f..."

Yes, I'm actually reading this for the second time myself. It was so sad but also beautiful so I'm reading again :) I've never seen the movie myself but I usually like the book better.

message 14: by Britt (new)

Britt Meter Hey guys so I have been reading up to page 92 last night ( when my attention span let me read into the night) and do so far I'm loving the book it was a surprise for me because I usually go for historical fiction ( even though the book I've read was the boy in the stripped pajamas) My friend was interested in joining the group but she has trouble finding it.

message 15: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Hi everyone, so I was thinking maybe we could set an amount of pages to read a day. Maybe thirty? Let me know what you think!

message 16: by Thereadingbell (new)

Thereadingbell | 296 comments That is doable for me.

message 17: by deleted_user (new)

deleted_user (deleteduserbhjk) | 6 comments I'm reading this book right now and so far so good : D

message 18: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Catreads wrote: "I'm reading this book right now and so far so good : D"

Hi Catreads; welcome! :) What page are you at?

message 19: by Britt (new)

Britt Meter currently at 109

message 20: by deleted_user (new)

deleted_user (deleteduserbhjk) | 6 comments Persephone6 wrote: "Catreads wrote: "I'm reading this book right now and so far so good : D"

Hi Catreads; welcome! :) What page are you at?"

Hii! I'm at 72.

message 21: by Thereadingbell (new)

Thereadingbell | 296 comments I am enjoying the book as well.

message 22: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Susanne V Bell wrote: "That is doable for me."

Yes! I'm going to do this myself because then I'll finish it this month :)

message 23: by Persephone6 (last edited Dec 16, 2018 08:55PM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments I'm at page 130 right now; it's very good. (view spoiler) What is everyone's favorite thing/part of the book so far?

message 24: by Britt (new)

Britt Meter so I'm currently at page 134 in the book and so far Liesel is a brave and also enthusiastic about wanting to learn how to read and write. My favorite part was when she beat the boys up in school omg that's funny.

message 25: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Britt wrote: "so I'm currently at page 134 in the book and so far Liesel is a brave and also enthusiastic about wanting to learn how to read and write. My favorite part was when she beat the boys up in school om..."

Yes! She is a brave and determined little girl :)

message 26: by Britt (new)

Britt Meter Rosa and Hans are completely different people. Rosa is harsh whereas Hans is patient and gently but he did slap Liesel in the face

message 27: by Persephone6 (last edited Dec 16, 2018 09:52PM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments I really liked Rudy and Liesel's friendship; there's a lot of sweet moments with them!

message 28: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Britt wrote: "Rosa and Hans are completely different people. Rosa is harsh whereas Hans is patient and gently but he did slap Liesel in the face"

Yes...(view spoiler)

message 29: by Britt (new)

Britt Meter especially in the film Rudy is a sweet friend towards Liesel. He is motivated and moral around Liesel

message 30: by Thereadingbell (new)

Thereadingbell | 296 comments My favorite part of the story is Liesel's determination to learn and the depth of her story that is being told. I like how she shows up the boys.

message 31: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Susanne V Bell wrote: "My favorite part of the story is Liesel's determination to learn and the depth of her story that is being told. I like how she shows up the boys."

Yes, I agree; Liesel knows how to persevere against all sorts of odds and loss.

message 32: by Britt (new)

Britt Meter so I'm currently on page 164 and I've read where Liesel read the Mayor's wife's library full of books.

message 33: by Persephone6 (last edited Dec 19, 2018 05:32PM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments I'm at page 237 right now(view spoiler)

message 34: by Britt (new)

Britt Meter Oh that's good I haven't been reading much because of early mornings and I have been really tired

message 35: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Britt wrote: "Oh that's good I haven't been reading much because of early mornings and I have been really tired"

Yes, I can understand that; stuff can get pretty busy!

message 36: by Britt (new)

Britt Meter yeah but I have watched the movie to the book thief so I know the story line, the characters etc

message 37: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Yeah, sometimes when I watch the movie first, I find it hard to get into the book. Same with reading the book first. I used to read books multiple times a lot when I was younger because I loved the stories. But lately, I've been finding that harder to do because there are so many books out there I've never read and I want to read new ones :)

message 38: by Britt (new)

Britt Meter hahaha same here it's like an obsessive compulsive disorder where I see new books that I never heard of and I have the desire to read them but I have my books already on the shelves and I have to read those ones before I go and buy the new book. So far I'm liking the book thief and how Liesel and her friend Max

message 39: by Thereadingbell (new)

Thereadingbell | 296 comments Britt wrote: "hahaha same here it's like an obsessive compulsive disorder where I see new books that I never heard of and I have the desire to read them but I have my books already on the shelves and I have to r..."

I stopped reading when I was in college other than college books for classes. I missed out on so many good books and being part of this club as well as reading this book has opened me back up to loving stories again. I am looking forward to reading the variety of books. To be honest I would probably never would have read this book if it was not part of the buddy read. I am glad I joined. This book has some personal meaning to me as well being German and my family.

message 40: by Thereadingbell (new)

Thereadingbell | 296 comments Persephone6 wrote: "I'm at page 237 right now[spoilers removed]"

I am on 210 so close behind you.

message 41: by deleted_user (new)

deleted_user (deleteduserbhjk) | 6 comments Okay so we have Death as our narrator, but how are we supposed to know that??? It should be explained somewhere in the book well I kinda had the clue but I gotta say it was surprising to know who it is.

message 42: by deleted_user (new)

deleted_user (deleteduserbhjk) | 6 comments Part 1 and 2
I really like the narrative of the book, it's unique and interesting but sometimes it can be confusing.
(view spoiler)

message 43: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Susanne V Bell wrote: "Britt wrote: "hahaha same here it's like an obsessive compulsive disorder where I see new books that I never heard of and I have the desire to read them but I have my books already on the shelves a..."

Yes, I have my slumps too but when I do I try to start reading again soon...The longer I wait, the harder it is to start again sometimes. I'm glad that you are reading again and go to read The Book Thief with us :)

message 44: by Britt (new)

Britt Meter So I'm currently on page 187, it talks about Max and Liesel and Rudy how they were stealing food from the farms and how the found money on the street and bought candy. And how Rudy played a trick on someone because he bought food for the Church and Rudy stole the basket with the food for the people he was stealing the food for.

message 45: by Persephone6 (last edited Dec 20, 2018 04:47PM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Catreads wrote: "Okay so we have Death as our narrator, but how are we supposed to know that??? It should be explained somewhere in the book well I kinda had the clue but I gotta say it was surprising to know who i..."

Yes! The book never tells us in so many words that Death is the narrator but does this more in a series of clues... It's not completely clear immediately because he doesn't introduce himself as Death or anything... He really is a perfect narrator for the story though, being about loss and war. I've never read a book where Death was such a main character, though. Has anyone else read a story/book with Death having such a major part in it?

message 46: by Persephone6 (last edited Dec 20, 2018 05:15PM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments I'm at page 266 now (view spoiler)

message 47: by Thereadingbell (new)

Thereadingbell | 296 comments Catreads wrote: "Okay so we have Death as our narrator, but how are we supposed to know that??? It should be explained somewhere in the book well I kinda had the clue but I gotta say it was surprising to know who i..."

I did not figure out it was death as the narrator but now thinking about certain things it makes sense. The book of the gravedigger was the first clue.

message 48: by Britt (new)

Britt Meter And at the start of the book it talks about death and how he collects people and how he says that he sees people with him. Even in the movie it explains about death

message 49: by Thereadingbell (new)

Thereadingbell | 296 comments Britt wrote: "And at the start of the book it talks about death and how he collects people and how he says that he sees people with him. Even in the movie it explains about death"

I never saw the movie. I was more fascinated by Liesel story. My mother is German she was a little girl during WWII she rode train.
The story goes that my grandmother on my mother side was German Jewish and my grandfather German anyways she died after my mothers birth. My grandfather had to find someone to take her and her brothers so he remarried and left for war. He never came back and this women raised my mom and her brothers. This story makes me feel connected to that time period the details of Hitlers birthday the book burning ect. through Liesel eyes and my aunt name is Liesel who I loved dearly before she passed a few years ago. This is not my family story but it easily could have been

message 50: by Britt (new)

Britt Meter currently on page 215 when Hans reflects on his life and how him and Max knew each other

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Book Thief (other topics)