All About Books discussion

2019 Reads & Personal Challenges > 2019 Members Area

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11550 comments Mod
For next year, 2019, we will continue using an combined thread for the members reads and personal challenges into one folder. Please feel free to have more than one thread though!

Here is where you can keep a list of the books you read during the year, with comments or links to reviews or statistics or whatever you want. In addition you can have a thread for personal challenges, both new and ongoing, where you can track your progress.

Feel free to post any questions or comments in this thread.

message 2: by Norton (new)

Norton Beckerman. (nortsb) | 97 comments I read a great deal of non-fiction both for work and general pleasure. There are excellent non-fiction books out there. I read fiction for pleasure and entertainment. Since I've joined the Goodreads sci-fi/fantasy group I've followed recommendations and have read some excellent novels, a few bummers too! The real question is … Can I plan my reading? The answer is NO! I read as I need to for work, as books come across my desk or are recommended. Periodically I'll see a book on-line either by an author I like or an unknown author with a grabbing title. But I don't plan my reading.

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Norton wrote: "The real question is … Can I plan my reading? The answer is NO! ..."

That's interesting Norton. I've never planned my reading either. Do the majority of people here know what books they are going to read in the year ahead?

message 4: by Alannah (new)

No, I don't set out to read certain books because I know I won't read them. I set my personal challenges out like read at least ten non fiction books and pick what looks appealing or if someone has recommended a non fiction to me, I will check it out and if it looks good I will use it.

message 5: by Petra (new)

Petra | 3246 comments I don't plan specific books but do join the odd Bingo or other group activity and use planning threads to remind me of those so that I update my progress occasionally.

message 6: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I pick my books one month as a time. So at the end of December I figure out what books I will read in January. The books not yet at the end of one month I move over to the next.

I do not like planning way ahead.

If I pick up a book, I read it within the next month.

message 7: by Antonio (new)

Antonio Gallo (galloway) | 1793 comments Impossible to plan reading these days. Life is just like a stream. As soon as you start flowing , you're in it. You look left, look right or ahead, often backwards, against stream, and that's the most difficult part of it. Books, books and still books everywhere. Sometimes it is like "Water, water everywhere, / Nor any drop to drink", just like as from “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner,” by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. The speaker, (the reader), a sailor on the becalmed ship, is surrounded by salt water that he often cannot drink ... difficult choice ...

message 8: by Dale (last edited Dec 13, 2018 02:22PM) (new)

Dale Harcombe | 1417 comments I have a huge to read list but never plan ahead of what to read as the vast majority of my books come from the library. I simply can't afford to buy lots of books, much as I might like to. So the library is my greatest asset, but it often depends on what is around and when how my reading goes.

message 9: by John of Canada (new)

John of Canada (johnofcanada) | 273 comments I am a hopeless book addict.If I see a recommendation I automatically put it on my tbr.This year I am going to plan the first six months,and if(when) I succeed following this list,I will read as I go.

message 10: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 427 comments I am like the rest of you. I like my freedom. My reading choices are spontaneous. It depends on what I'm in the mood to read.

message 11: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 1417 comments Nichole wrote: "I am like the rest of you. I like my freedom. My reading choices are spontaneous. It depends on what I'm in the mood to read."

Agree with that too Nichole.

message 12: by Norton (new)

Norton Beckerman. (nortsb) | 97 comments Reading for pleasure shouldn't create a pressure. There are lots of excellent books out there I'd like to read. I'll read some. Not read others, but there are enough good books to keep me constantly reading. I don't need to plan my reading.

message 13: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13144 comments Mod
Since I've gone through much this finishing year, I don't want to set too many things.
Probably see how many bobks I'll mange to read in a year; will I make one book everu other day?
We'll see ....

message 14: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 667 comments I have a plan (several challenges including 52 Books Around the Year Challenge, ATW in 80 Books Translated LitChallenge, and my personal 100 Authors challenge) BUT it is really more of a roadmap! I have ~25 books that I own that I plan to read in 2019 and another 25 that will be library books (mostly translations). I have room, though, for serendipitous finds at the library, etc. and GR group reads.

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 2 comments I am retiring at the end of the month and plan to get to my stack of books. I usually reserve them from the library based on new York times recommendations. Plan to follow along here.

message 16: by Ruth (new)

Ruth I think my plan for 2019 will just be to try and read more - I seem to be getting slower at finishing a book especially when it doesn't grab me. I'd like to commit to reading a few non-fiction books and some different genres as I've got a bit stuck in the cosy crime area which may be another reason for my slowness. I need a bit of a reading boost!

message 17: by Alannah (new)

At the minute, I'm thinking of not setting myself any personal challenges, my university course will take up more of my time in the new year so I don't want to have that extra task of setting myself another challenge. I think I will just stick to having my usual book list.

message 18: by Alannah (new)

2019 may be over but I'm leaving this thread open in case you would like to go back over what you posted during the year in your personal threads.