Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2018 Weekly Checkins > Week 50: 12/7 – 12/13

Comments Showing 1-50 of 127 (127 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sara (last edited Dec 13, 2018 04:40AM) (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Welcome reader friends! It’s the middle of the month already, and 2019 will be here before we know it! We had more than a foot of snow dumped on us on Sunday. I spent most of that day watching Christmas movies and decorating our tree, but Monday I worked from home for 4 hours and spent the rest of the day reading (bliss!)

***Admin note:

We are still looking for discussion leaders for the group reads in January, February or March. Please let us know if you are interested! Books are:

The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle - January
To All the Boys I've Loved Before - February
Where'd You Go, Bernadette - March

Books finished:

After a poor reading week at the last check-in, I am happy to say I knocked out several books in the last week!

Mr. Dickens and His Carol by Samantha Silva. This is a re-imagining of how Charles Dickens came to write A Christmas Carol. While certainly much of it is fictionalized, it is a fun story. I will say that it took quite a while to get into the story, but the last third of the book was great!

Dumplin' by Julie Murphy. I buddy read this with some friends leading up to the release of the movie. Both the book and the movie were wonderful, and hopefully next year I will get around to reading Puddin'

The Christmas Shoppe - this got two stars from me. Not enough character or plot development.

Anna Karenina - Finally I finished this! I have mixed feelings on it. I loved some parts, but other parts just dragged on. I'm glad to have read it though.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - This was an audio reread. It was interesting to read it again after having finished Snape: A Definitive Reading. New perspective for sure.

Currently reading:

A Breath of Snow and Ashes - another audio reread. I wanted to get some high page count books in to help me reach one of my last reading goals for the year (see QOTW). It's my favorite of the Outlander series.

Question of the week:

Do you have any reading goals left to achieve in 2018? Reading challenges? Goodreads goals? Personal goals? Or even just to relax and read seasonal books?

I have finished my popsugar challenge, and I have exceeded my Goodreads reading goal (98 out of 80).

My remaining personal goals are:

1. Reach 100 books total for the year. This should be achievable. My audiobook should wrap up before the end of the year, and then I just need to read one more. I have the entire week of Christmas off work so lots of reading time!
2. Achieve an average page per book of 400. I’m so close to this! I’m binge reading one more book on audio between now and the end of the month which should get me there!

message 2: by SadieReadsAgain (last edited Dec 13, 2018 04:55AM) (new)

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 767 comments Well done completing Anna Karenina! You're more generous about it than I was!

I'm grabbing the time to catch up between toddler Christmas parties. Turns out, my little guy is actually terrified of Santa. Thankfully the big man is not going to be at this afternoon's party, just lots of Christmas songs.

This week I read In Cold Blood. I have been meaning to read this book for a long time. I am so glad it lived up to my expectations. I don't read an awful lot of true crime, even though I'm interested in it. Being a literary fiction lover, I often assume true crime to be a bit lacklustre. But this book is different. Capote realised his ambition of a "non-fiction novel." He gets into the psyche of the villains, as well as giving more than just victim status to the murdered Clutter family. There is such a strong sense of place and time in this book, and it is so well paced. The story is allowed to tell itself, without any decisions being made for the reader. Although biased towards Smith, how you feel about he and Hickock is ultimately all in your own interpretation. I know that I struggled with conflicting opinions, particularly around Smith, and also with reconciling my feeling for those who wanted justice with the form that justice took. Given this was written over 50 years ago, that Capote explores how poor mental health, inequality and adverse life experiences, particularly those in early childhood, can negatively impact not just the individual but the wider society, keeps this book so current.

Do you have any reading goals left to achieve in 2018? Reading challenges? Goodreads goals? Personal goals? Or even just to relax and read seasonal books?

When I finished PS I thought I'd use the rest of the year to read books I'd heard mentioned here/on podcasts that hadn't been on my reading plan. But then I found ATY for 2019, decided to retro-fit my 2018 books into this year's challenge and realised I only had 11 prompts to fill. I thought I'd get them done, but my hold of The Female Persuasion came in last week and has scuppered my plans. It doesn't fit a prompt and is quite a long read with only a two-week loan, so it needs to be read now and I still have four books left to go for ATY...I doubt it's going to happen!

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 777 comments Bit of a mixed week. On the positive my stitches came out this morning and my face hasn't fallen open and needed restitching this time. Always a good thing.

Less books this week as they were a bit longer than last week's ones.

Finished:
Son Lois Lowry
(book 4 The Giver Quartet) which tied up a whole bunch of stories from the other 3 books but also had a couple of inconsistencies with the other books (small ones that people would probably not notice if they hadn't read 2,3 and 4 in a week). Finished happyish which was a nice change after book 3.

American Gods.
I am bewildered by this one. Firstly according to GR it is 572 pages for the same ISBN. Mine was 635 not including interviews and the bonus novella.
Not sure why so many people think it is so amazing. I started it on Dec 1st and put it down to read 4 other books first because it just wasn't grabbing me. Got motivated this week and picked it up again because a colleague had lent it to me and I wanted to return it before the Christmas break. Yeah.....don't know, might need some time to process.

Currently reading a bunch of stuff which just isn't doing it for me right now.

QOTW
Finished PS challenge a bit ago and my GR goal was 75 and I think I am on 109ish?
Also started A to Z using items on the cover when I finished PS. I have about 40 pages to go in the last book for that. The last book is terribly boring so I have been doing 2 pages per night to try to finish it.
This is the last week of term so my goal for the end of the year is to figure out what I already have which will fit for next year's PS and put it to one side so I don't have to buy/find anything extra. Must reduce book purchases as I am going on holiday for the first time in about 15 years in the middle of next year so need to save up.

message 4: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1156 comments Tomorrow is my last day of work this year. Today we're having nibbles and drinks in the office, and my Christmas jumper is on!

I'm still reading How Long 'til Black Future Month?, just reading one or two stories a day which is ideal for this time of year. I feel they put the weakest story first so don't judge it by a sample!

I finished Pride which was read by the amazing Elizabeth Acevedo (I'm going to try and get The Poet X on audio next year). Pretty faithful retelling of Pride and Prejudice and fun to listen to.

I listened to This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor, equal parts funny, sad, terrifying, but important that this is being widely read, because I people don't understand how overworked our junior doctors are. Wouldn't recommend reading whilst pregnant though!

Just started listening to The Silent Companions this morning.

QOTW:
I ditched my other challenges earlier in the year so I don't consider them outstanding. I'm finished Popsugar and I've met my Goodreads goal. I had a secondary goal to get to 120 books but I've whooshed past that too. So a relaxed couple of weeks off work reading whatever I like. I'll probably try and read some of the hardbacks I always put off because I don't want to carry them in my bag during the week.

I need to get my blog in order over the holidays, I've been pretty behind in my review writing and I like to have a clean slate for the new year.

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine McCann | 482 comments Jen wrote: "American Gods.
I am bewildered by this one. ..."

I like it a lot, but even as a fan, I think it's a bit too sprawling and ultimately kind of pointless. Anansi Boys treats similar subject matter with tighter plotting, better characterization, and more humor. And Gaiman has lots of other work that's very different - if this is your first experience of him, check out other options before deciding he's not for you.

I'm still in a semi-slump, but there were a couple bright spots:

I read Heart of Darkness with my high schooler and I thought it was brilliant. Definitely a classic, and while Conrad wasn't as evolved as modern liberals, he is delightfully vicious against colonialism.

I'm listening to The Complete Fiction of H.P. Lovecraft by listening to each story and then re-listening to the H.P. Podcraft episode(s) about it. I just finished "At the Mountains of Madness," which is long and not my favorite. Now I'm almost done, with only fun stories I like left!

QOTW:
I'm doing terrible at my "read books you already own" challenge! Oh well, maybe the holidays and/or the new Popsugar cycle will get me going again!

message 6: by Katy (new)

Katy M | 707 comments QOTW: Just to finish the book I'm reading now and to read my annual Christmas book. This year I'm reading Lakeshore Christmas

message 7: by Johanne (last edited Dec 13, 2018 06:05AM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments Sarah wrote: "...I'm grabbing the time to catch up between toddler Christmas parties. Turns out, my little guy is actually terrified of Santa..."

Oh yes, my oldest was terrified of Santa when he was little... To the point of nightmares and us having to leave the place if a Santa was there. He remembers it to this day (he is 18 now).

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne (annefullercoxnet) | 200 comments I am so excited. My college students start coming home today! I have been madly wrapping presents before they get here.

This week I only read three books. I read:

Death of a Russian Doll
Mardi Gras Murder
The Mortification of Fovea Munson- this one was for middle schoolers and it was weird. A girl is helping three talking heads from a cadaver lab. Who thinks that isn't creepy? I can't recommend it.

QOTW:
I am all caught up on my reading goals for the year so I am just reading for fun now.

message 9: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 628 comments Been a crazy couple of weeks, but I'm alive! Always a good thing, right?

Finished three books this week:

The Wind in the Willows -- charming, but I feel it hasn't aged terribly well. And I kept getting confused as to how these talking animals can be living alongside regular humans but still showing distinctly animal traits. Maybe it's just one of those "best read when you're a kid" books...

A Season of Gifts -- a charming conclusion to the "Long Way From Chicago" books, and a delightful way to usher in the Christmas season.

Miss Mabel's School for Girls -- boy, this book wants to be "Harry Potter" but at an all-girl school so bad you can taste the desperation. Ultimately, though, you're just better off reading Harry Potter...

DNFed two books -- Pastworld and Petropolis. The first was a case of "wonderful premise, lousy execution," while the second I ditched after going "you know, I'm halfway through this and I'm STILL not invested in either the story or the main character..."

Currently reading:

Sewer, Gas and Electric: The Public Works Trilogy -- WEIRD so far, but a good weird
Neverwhere -- my last outing with Neil Gaiman didn't go so well... I"m giving you one more chance, Neil...

QOTW:

I already met my Goodreads reading challenge and my PopSugar challenge (both regular and advanced). Going to see if I can't double my reading challenge by the end of the year. Got 10 books left to go... guess I find some short ones, haha...

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments Finished Naked in Death for my pseudonym book. It wasn't great.

Currently reading Grey (*blushes*) and The Boy Is Back.

42 Regular, 9 Advanced and 24 non-challenge reads.

Goals
~Finish up the ONE advanced prompt that I have left. The book is at the library I just have to go pick it up.
~Meet my goodreads goal of 80 books. I have one graphic novel in mind, the two books currently in progress, the challenge read, then I'll just have to pick one more. Maybe another graphic novel just to hit the goal. Cheating? Eh, it is what it is!

message 11: by Johanne (last edited Dec 13, 2018 06:36AM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments This week I am on a roll. After several weeks of not getting any challenge reading done, I finished 5 books for the challenge.

Not for challenge:
Vampyrkniven (The Vampire Knife) by Jack Henseleit children´s horror story.
Måneskinsbanden (The Moon Light Gang) by Kat Lassen children´s amateur detective and first love story.
The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors by Drew Daywalt picture book - SO FUNNY! Thanks to those of you who recommended it.
SKAM Sæson 1, Eva by Julie Andem the manuscript from the Norwegian TV-series Skam. Loved the series. Loved the script.

For challenge:
Det usynlige barn ("the invisible child"/Tales from Moominvalley) by Tove Jansson - "Children´s classic you have never read"
Telekatte (Star Ka'at) by Andre Norton - "woman using a man´s pseudonym" a bit too transparent in what it wants us to think. But I would have loved it as a child, and I still liked it.
Villads fra Valbys uhyggelige halloween (Villads from Valby´s scary halloween) by Anne Sofie Hammer - "Halloween" picture book, pretty funny.
Drengen i kufferten (The Boy in the Suitcase) by Lene Kaaberbøl - "Nordic Noir". Really good. I am glad it was - I love Lene Kaaberbøls fantasy books, which she is more known for in Denmark - check them out.
A Short History of Drunkenness by Mark Forsyth - "microhistory". Enjoyable, but reads a bit too much like a blogpost - I missed some more depth, but it didn´t promise more so...

QOTW:
I am now 46/52 and I think I am going to make it!
I reached my goal of 200 books on the regular GR challenge this week.
I am just focused on PS now. I changed a lot of my books to graphic novels, picture books, and children´s books. I only have two halfread books left and short ones, so I should be able to make it. That feels good

message 12: by Brittany (last edited Dec 13, 2018 06:47AM) (new)

Brittany | 183 comments Morning all..or afternoon/good evening depending on where you all are checking in from.

This past week I read a grand total of zero books. I guess my slump from Jackaby is to continue. This is kind of a shame because I have a book, The Sun Does Shine: How I Found Life and Freedom on Death Row, that I actually am intrigued with. I really need to just make the decision to DNR Jackaby and switch to this book. Funnily enough, I picked up 4 books last month when my parents were in town visiting and they are flying in again tonight and those 4 books are still here.

Question of the week:

I only have one goal for the end of the year, and that is to review a book that I don't mind being my final review for the year. This is mainly because of the GoodReads roundup. I reviewed a home organization book as my first review of the year and I've had to scroll past it everytime I check my yearly status and something about seeing it so prominently bugs me.

I thought about checking out how many of my non-PS challenge books fit into this years ATY challenge but then decided it was so close to the end of the year that I might as well just wait for next years challenge and start fresh rather than potentially stressing myself to read however much I had left.

As for goals I completed: I did finish Popsugar around the end of August. I was really pushing to complete it fast. It was my first challenge and I think next year I'll try to do more challenges and not worry so much about when I complete them because finishing it really put me into a slump that lasted over a month and I haven't fully pulled out of it since.

I also completed my personal Goodreads goal. Last year I set it to 50 and read 58 so I bumped it up to 75 this year. Due to the PS challenge I had that sucker completed in like May or June so I doubled it and set it to 125. I am currently at 133/125 for the year and am pretty proud of that. I think about 20% of that is audiobooks.

message 13: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments Megan wrote: "... Maybe another graphic novel just to hit the goal. Cheating? Eh, it is what it is!..."

No! not cheating! How do you think I read 200+ books this year? In my view of the year it says my shortest book is 14 pages and the longest is 816...

message 14: by Chandie (new)

Chandie (chandies) | 253 comments Three books this week

Save the Date by Morgan Matson. YA. Sibling is getting married and chaos ensues. It was very okay. I can see a lot of students in my classes enjoying it though.

Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson. It’s about a girl who was accused of murdering a baby that her mother was babysitting. She now lives in a halfway house and she claims she didn’t do it. It was really good and I even liked the last chapter which many reviewers seemed to have issues with.

The Governess Game by Tessa Dare. Historical romance. Absolutely delightful.

QOTW:
I finished the Popsugar challenge a few weeks ago. I met my goodreads goal a while ago. I gave up on the Read Harder challenge in September. Now, I think I’m just going to read my pile of mass market paperbacks.

message 15: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1156 comments Brittany wrote: "I thought about checking out how many of my non-PS challenge books fit into this years ATY challenge..."

Out of interest, I went through the ATY list last week and I ticked off 47. However the last 5 prompts really don't appeal to me right now, so I won't attempt to finish it.

message 16: by Melanie (new)

Melanie McKay (mgmcgee) | 41 comments I finished one more book this week - Stuart Little for the Childhood Classic prompt. I don't think I checked in last week but I finished Insurgent for the Goodreads Choice Award winner prompt late last week.

I've got 3 prompts left - Nordic noir, another planet, and published in 2018 - to finish this challenge and I've got books downloaded to my phone for the Nordic noir and published this year prompts. Still need to find a book set on another planet and I plan to look in our school library later today.

This was the only reading challenge I decided to do this year and it's been fun but I'm glad I wasn't trying to fit books into another challenge list too. My life has been busy enough with a wedding, honeymoon, rodeoing all summer, working part-time in the summer, teaching during the school year, and taking the last few classes to finish off a new teaching certificate.

message 17: by Soph ♡ (new)

Soph ♡ | 130 comments How do people finish so many books in a week?! Surely you must read more than one book at a time 😊

This past week I have completed my first Popsugar Challenge, finishing up with The Hiding Place. While I wait for the new year to come in, I am making a start on some of the previous years Popsugar Challenges, currently listening to Once... by James Herbert, and reading Dumplin' by Julie Murphy. I also completed my own personal reading challenge, which was to read only 20 books this year.

message 18: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 849 comments Soph, I have at least an ebook and an audiobook going at the same time. I read them at different times. Sometimes I squeeze in a book of short stories, poetry, or graphic novel also.

message 19: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5906 comments Mod
I am so ready to start the 2019 Challenge, so this week feels like it's dragging. This week I finished 3 books, plus I've continued my December project of reading a free short story each day.

The Third Hotel by Laura van den Berg - this was weird and surreal and fantastic! I'm so glad I read it.

Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë - oh boy Agnes sure was a stick-in-the-mud. This was no fun.

A Warp in Time by Jude Watson - book #3 in a YA adventure series I've been enjoying as an audiobook. Book #4 isn't available on Overdrive yet so now I have to wait.

And the shorts I've read this week:
6. Your Orisons May Be Recorded by Laurie Penny - meh
7. This World is Full of Monsters by Jeff VanderMeer - weird
8. The Lady Astronaut of Mars by Mary Robinette Kowal - fantastic
9. Triquetra by Kirstyn McDermott - weird
10. A Human Stain by Kelly Robson - weird and creepy
11. Our King and His Court by Rich Larson - like an action movie
12. Errata by Jeff VanderMeer - fantastic

QOTW
Nope! Because I'm an idiot.

I finished Popsugar, and I'm reading my last AtY book right now, so I'll finish that. BUT I assigned myself a list of 44 books to read this year, and ... I've only read 37 of them. I'm currently reading one right now, and two are graphic novels that I own, so I expect I'll read them before Dec 31st, but that still leaves four books that I'm just not going to get to. Three of the remaining I'll maybe definitely probably read in 2019, but that still leaves one that I honestly just don't want to read. Why don't I just delete it from my TBR? I don't know! Every time I look at the blurb, it looks like a book I would like! I SHOULD read it! It's a "should" instead of a "want."

This is the second year I've failed at my personal challenge. I am setting myself up for success next year and limiting my "must read" list to twelve books. Okay, maybe thirteen. Definitely no more than fourteen.

I'm ridiculous.

message 20: by Dani (new)

Dani Weyand | 293 comments Good morning from a pleasantly brisk Columbus! I can’t believe it’s practically Christmas already. I still have so much baking to start, thank God for audiobooks!

The Last Time I Lied not for a challenge, this is a BOTM pick I was getting around to. Years after three girls disappear from their cabin at summer camp, their remaining bunk mate returns as a painting instructor with the hopes of figuring out what happened. This book was a hell of a ride. I finished it in a day because I was so engrossed and couldn’t put it down. I did not see the plot developments coming at all and the author keeps throwing major twists up until the very end.

Final Girls by Riley Sager, same author as above. Immediately after finishing The Last Time I Lied, I checked out Final Girls and stayed up until 5am to finish it (thankfully I had nothing major going on the next morning lol). This book is about Quincy, the sole survivor of six friends who were massacred at a rented cabin in the woods. The Final Girls are what the media dubbed her and two other women who survived similar circumstances, and when one of them ends up dead it starts a chain reaction of Quincy coming to terms with what happened and figuring out why. This was so good. Another one where I did not see the twists coming. I’m excited to see the inevitable movie adaptations of Sager’s works.

The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth a quick book exploring the connections between Mass and the Book of Revelation. If you’re Catholic or otherwise interested in theology, you’ll probably find this pretty interesting. I always find Scott Hahn’s perspectives interesting (former Protestant minister turned Catholic theologian) but I don’t always see eye to eye with him.

A Study in Scarlet & The Sign of Four I have the Audible version narrated by Stephen Fry that I listen to in between other books. Since my mind tends to wander while I’m listening to this particular collection, it’s always fun to revisit these stories. I couldn’t remember where I left off, so I decided to start the whole collection over again. I mean, the collection is only like 71 hours long, no big deal, I’ve got the time.

The Bear and the Nightingale a reread since the third book is coming out in a few weeks. If you’re unfamiliar with this book still, it’s about Vasya who is the daughter of a lord living in rural medieval Russia. She has a special connection with spirits and has a touch of magic. There’s a ton of Russian folklore in the book and it’s beautifully written. I love reading about pre-revolution Russia (why does post-revolution Russia mildly creep me out/depress me?). This is one of those books I recommend to everyone.

39/40; 9/10 for popsugar and 23/24 for book riot with 198 books read this year.

QOTW: I’m about done with my personal goal. I set my goodreads challenge to I think 80 this year which I cleared a while ago. I finished the full goodreads summer challenge and am almost done with popsugar and book riot.

message 21: by Soph ♡ (new)

Soph ♡ | 130 comments Milena wrote: "Soph, I have at least an ebook and an audiobook going at the same time. I read them at different times. Sometimes I squeeze in a book of short stories, poetry, or graphic novel also."

Before this challenge I always read one book at a time, now I've started listening to an audiobook as well as reading an actual book. Didn't think I'd enjoy it but love to listen whilst doing some adult colouring *big kid*

message 22: by Cornerofmadness (new)

Cornerofmadness | 404 comments I'm still in that reading slump but that's okay because it's time I've stolen to write.

I did finish Generation V by M.L. Brennan. It wasn't bad, a different take on vampires.

QOTW I do still have one challenge left. I've finished all my others. It's the Literary Escapes challenge which is to read a book set in all 50 states with bonus points for other countries read as well. I take a loose approach to this. I do the best I can but for me the clear your TBR pile challenges I'm taking are more important (mostly because I'm out of space). So I get as many states read as I can but I'm not making myself nuts if I can't read all 50 (especially since it's hard to find some of the midwest states in the genres I read.)

message 23: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 849 comments Soph wrote: "Milena wrote: "Soph, I have at least an ebook and an audiobook going at the same time. I read them at different times. Sometimes I squeeze in a book of short stories, poetry, or graphic novel also...."

I also only started listening to audiobooks when I started the Popsugar Challenge in 2018. Not sure how I lived without that pleasure in my life. I used to just walk, what a waste of time.

message 24: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 163 comments Do you have any reading goals left to achieve in 2018? Reading challenges? Goodreads goals? Personal goals? Or even just to relax and read seasonal books?

No more reading goals for this year. I joined one buddy read and I'll be starting another book for TBR Twins in a few days. Still listening to my audio (Moby Dick) and reading with my kid. Otherwise, I've cut down a bit on reading so I can catch up with my television shows and play World of Warcraft for a month. I'm a nerd in all media.

message 25: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1707 comments I am going to post in reverse this week, starting with:

QOTW: I basically finished all challenges. PS was August. I added ATY then, going through my 2018 read list, double dipping with PS, and only needed 5 or 6. Finished both ATY and GR general challenge of 150 books in October. Added A - Z, and after reviewing my read list again, found I only needed 3 books to finish, and did that in November. Did 2 buddy reads in another group - The Weight of Ink and Circe. Have already piled up on my nightstand the first few books to read for 2019 PS.

As of Thanksgiving, I started reading seasonal reads, something I have not had time for the last couple of years because I was scrambling to finish PS. I love Christmas cozies and romances, and I have a backlog in ebook! Last week and this made some progress through that backlog.

This week I finished Stephanie Laurens' 2 Christmas novels: Lady Osbaldestone's Christmas Goose, a 5 star read, and Lady Osbaldestone and the Missing Christmas Carols, a 4 star read - these are absolutely delightful on all counts!

I also finished RaeAnne Thayne's new Christmas story Season of Wonder - very disappointing, as much irritated me to no end. Took me 3 days to read when I can usually finish one of hers in a day ... she's a favorite.

Now what to read? I decided to switch to a cozy and a regency, plus something challenging as my currently reading:

Snowed Inn a cozy
Season for Desire last of a regency series set at Christmas
Astrophysics for People in a Hurry - didn't see that one coming, did you? It's for a buddy geek read in another group, and thought it might be a good palate cleanser during my month of Christmas reading. Felt I needed it now.

In truth I don't have any real goals before year end. I am at 174 books for GR ge neral challenge, well past my goal, but short of last year's total of 182. Likely will pass that if I keep reading at least 3 books a week.

message 26: by Lindi (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) Happy Thursday everyone!

Finished:

Bachelor Nation: Inside the World of America's Favorite Guilty Pleasure by Amy Kaufman for a microhistory. I’m glad I read this for the nibbles of information I got, but I wish this went a lot deeper than it did - I didn’t need a whole chapter on Kaufman going to Bachelor contestants charity events and documenting them. Give me more history on the show, more feminist angles, bleh.

The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son On Life, Love, and Loss by Anderson Cooper and Gloria Vanderbilt for a book with a weather element in the title. I listened to this on audio and I loved it. I originally added this to my list as a fan of Anderson Cooper - honestly it was very recently I even learned his mother was Gloria Vanderbilt. And I wasn’t disappointed at all when I discovered this is much more an introspective account of Gloria’s life to her son. Touching, interesting, and moving.

Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy West for a book by an author with the same first or last name as you. When I first started reading this, I was so not in the mood for a book of feminist essays. But Lindy’s writing completely hooked me! It was also pretty awesome reading her writing as she’s from my same city, so I recognized places and publications she referenced.

Currently Reading:

Tessa and Scott: Our Journey from Childhood Dream to Gold by Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Question of the Week:

Well, my only reading goals were to read 52 books and complete this challenge, which I will likely be accomplishing the night of December 31! ;)

message 27: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 603 comments Finished a book this week LOL

The Surgeon for book riot and ATY. I loved it and didn't want to put it down. It was just a fun quick serial killer/medical thriller and I haven't indulged in one of those for a really long time.

QOTW:
I exceeded my personal GoodReads goal this year ( even if you don't count the picture books) And I finished my ATY picture book challenge ( almost done doing it with my daughters, I think they have 6 books left and they have both completed their personal GR challenge with 100 books this year . So proud of them, they are 6 and 8!!!!).

I have 1 and 1/2 books left to finish ATY so I will be able to complete that if I can get through my alternate history ( I am struggling so hard with it though, and I literally almost cried when I saw Alt. History on book riots list for next year). And I think only 4 books for Book Riot, but I'm not worried about trying too hard right now.

I definitely will not be able to finish this challenge again this year BUT I think I am finally convinced that it is ok to double dip between challenges so hopefully next year I'll finish. I also didn't finish my ATY middle grade challenge so I am going to carry that over into next year as a personal challenge.

message 28: by Ali (new)

Ali (aliciaclare) | 153 comments Happy Thursday! I cannot believe the year is nearly over!! Checking in and reading other comments is definitely a highlight of my week!

This week I finished Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie for my book about or set on Halloween. I really didn't enjoy this. I wasn't engaged in the mystery at all. But I did really enjoy the narrator, so I will definitely consider reading Agatha Christie via audiobook again.

Then I finished Dumplin' by Julie Murphy, which I really enjoyed! I'm really excited to watch the film now.

Currently, I'm reading a bunch of different things trying to finish up both the reading challenge and some other books I've been trying to get to this year.

QOTW: I did pretty well! I met my Goodreads reading challenge of 100 books which is exciting. It's my 3rd year in a row hitting 100 books, and I'm really proud of myself. I'm 4 books away from finishing the PopSugar challenge, and I have access to all of the books I need to finish up the challenge, it's just a matter of getting on them! I also have been reading more more diversely than past years. Nearly half the books I read were by authors of color, which I'm happy because a few years ago, I only had read a handful of books that were by nonwhite authors, so I've really improved on that front. I still read majority American/British authors, so I need to work on that. I also read more LGBTQ+ books, but I know I can do better. Plus, I wanna hit more of those intersections. But all in all, I'm happy with how my reading went this year!

message 29: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments This is a two week check in but it doesn't matter much because I didn't finish any books last week. But I made up for it by finishing two books this week.

Read
A Murder in Time - After a slow start I ended up enjoying this and will be checking out the sequel after that sneaky cliffhanger ending!
The Good Girl - Urgh. I really didn't like this one. I hated the characters and the plot didn't make sense to me.

Currently reading
War and Peace - Yep I'm still plugging along with this. I'm excited that I've now covered by the section of the musical The Great Comet so can listen to the soundtrack.
The Green Road - A chapter into this and I am loving it! It reminds me so much of my own family.
I Will Never Leave You - I started this last night after giving up that my hold of Circe would come in before the end of the month.
But surprise! Circe arrived just this minute so I will be prioritising it before it is taken from me!

QOTW
I have 2 books to complete the regular popsugar prompts (fulfilled by the books I'm reading now) and one more for my Goodreads challenge so I am on track.

message 30: by Crystal (last edited Dec 13, 2018 09:34AM) (new)

Crystal | 33 comments Hello, I found reading challenges in November, besides the GR one. So I am starting next year, but I figured I would get started in the habit of checking in. I am currently writing this between putting Christmas cookies in the oven.

Read:
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: I finally fished this book after taking almost a year to read it off and on. In the end I thought it was a good book, but it was slow and it didn't help that I was trying to read it at work. When I took it home to finish it in a day.

Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know: Good book, but didn't knock my socks off. It showed a good way of looking at our dogs.

Currently Reading:
Wisconsin Vamp: Meh
The Kingdom: (The second book in The Graveyard Queen series) Good

QOTW:
I finished my GR goal of 50.

message 31: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 738 comments Hi everyone!

It's actually a sunny, not windy, above freezing winter day in Michigan, so I went for a walk as a break, and I might do another at lunch. It's nice! I think the lack of sun bothers me more than the cold and snow, so a dose of vitamin D was much needed.

This week I finished:

Dragonsong and Dragonsinger - I love this series, particularly the first two and I've been in an easy re-read groove to finish out the year. I always feel guilty when I sneak in re-reads during challenges, like I'm not reading what I "should" be. Yes I know the challenges are for fun, but hey I'm a Ravenclaw =p So it's nice to be able to reread as much as I want without feeling bad about it. Also I always get annoyed when I read something at the tail end of one year that ends up being perfect for the next year's challenge, so no worries of that.

Elegy for a Lost Star - Finished this up, I like the series but they're very dense, longish reads. This one was shorter than most in the series, but just so much happens they're a challenge to get through. It's also a re-read, but the last time I read them was probably at least a decade ago.

Death Masks - Finished up the audio book for this. Another re-read, but i'm enjoying hearing James Marsters read them. Adds a new dimension to them. Played a bit of audio book chicken with it, I think i finished it maybe 20 minutes before it was due to return. I'd turned my wifi off just in case, but I wasn't sure if that worked for audio books like it does for the kindle downloads.

Currently reading:
Artemis Fowl - A bunch of readers seem to really like this series, and I heard a tv show or movie was in the works so I thought I'd try it. I'm not very far yet, I can't say it's instantly grabbing me. It's not bad, per se, but I always kind of have a problem with the whole "child written as an adult because they're mature". It usually feels like a lazy way to get around trying to figure out how to write a convincing child as an adult. Artemis feels a bit too much like an actual adult, not a child with a high intelligence and maturity. Maybe as I go on, that'll change.

QOTW:

I finished Elegy for a Lost Star and Death Masks the same day, taking me to 176 books for my goodreads goal of 175. I always thought I read an abnormal amount until I joined these groups! This is more books than I've ever read in a year before, and yet plenty of people are coming in at well over 200. A lot of mine are already graphic novels. Although I admit I listen to less audio books than a lot of people, I find I can only listen to them in very certain situations. So I don't always have one going.

I've been done with all my challenges since August, I think, so good on that front. I don't set more personal challenges than that. I'm always torn between "expanding reading" and "still enjoying and reading the kinds of book I like." I thought I was reading so much stuff outside my normal reading this year, but as I was going through my goodreads end of year list, it was still mostly sci-fi/fantasy/comics. I'm apparently really good at finding ways for sci-fi/fantasy to fit prompts XD

I do think I did a pretty good job at reading more diversely in terms of authors anyhow.

message 32: by Johanna (last edited Dec 13, 2018 09:56AM) (new)

Johanna Ellwood (jpellwood) | 232 comments My kids are finally back in school after a foot of snowfall in central Virginia on Sunday. It is definitely starting to look a lot like Christmas around here. I hope it lasts!

I didn't finish anything new this week, but am working on a few in hopes of finishing.

On my nightstand:

Cherry Ames, Senior Nurse. I'm reading this one for the next book in a series you started.

The Royal We for a book by two authors.

The Thing About Jellyfish for the prompt of a book about death or grief.

QOTW:
I am frantically trying to finish the Popsugar Reading Challenge. I have 5 left and am currently reading 3, so we'll see. On a personal note, we are planning a quick trip to New England and back for the few days before Christmas. So I am hoping to get everything done for the holidays BEFORE that. And to not stress out about it. That is my goal.

message 33: by Kelly (last edited Dec 14, 2018 05:21AM) (new)

Kelly | 83 comments Man, you all are making me jealous with your Christmas plans. My work only gives me one day off and I was only able to use one additional vacation day, so we have to drive 6 hours round-trip in order to visit my family for less than 48 hours. And when we do get there, the entire holiday revolves around my brother's children, it's not even fun anymore. It might be time to set some holiday boundaries with our families. I'd much rather just be at home with my husband and cats. Ugh. Rant over.
On the book front, I am STILL slogging through It. I'm not enjoying it at all and just wish it were over, but I have so much time invested... On the plus side, I think I did a much better job of planning for next year-- I'm really excited to start my selections, and I only have one book slotted that is making me actively resentful (Jane Eyre). I even have a mini-vacation to look forward to (and read during) in January. My mother-in-law bought us Predators tickets so my husband and I are planning a long weekend in Nashville, that's going to act as my personal Christmas!

QOTW:
I'm not going to finish Popsugar, I've only read 36 (or 37?) so far. With luck and a dedicated push, I might make it to 40. I'm beating myself up over it, but I'm trying to remember that it's the quality, not the quantity, that counts. I am also quietly shelving my beloved doorstopper books, lest they distract me from next year's challenge.

message 34: by Serendipity (new)

Serendipity | 146 comments I finished four books this week, and ended up with a heavy seasonal focus. I wasnt a big fan of Christmas at Little Beach Street Bakery - too formulaic and I hated one character - but fared much better with Transcription, Winter Solstice and Last Christmas in Paris which were all 4 star reads. I've finished all my challenges for the year - although having said that I wasn't thrilled with my 'book tied to your ancestry' pick. I'm aiming to replace it with Outlanders if the library hold arrives in time. I'm number 1 on the list now so I'm hopefully. Mostly I'm focussed on next year's challenges. Three were released this week (Back to the Classics, Modern Mrs Darcy and Read Harder) so I've been busy planning. And the library has delivered five books I've got slated for next year so they are sitting on my night stand taunting me!

message 35: by Lauren (last edited Dec 13, 2018 11:23AM) (new)

Lauren Oertel | 740 comments I just finished Commonwealth on audio, and I enjoyed it. Sometimes it didn't hold my attention for a bit, but other parts of it were very moving. It was interesting how each of the characters were developed in a different way.

I also listened to Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, which I liked as well. I learned a lot of random things about nature. ;)

I finished The Last Watchman of Old Cairo on kindle, and I enjoyed it... It seemed like it was building up for a very powerful ending, but it didn't go quite as far as I was hoping. And I was a little confused about (view spoiler)

I'm reading Texas Tough: The Rise of America's Prison Empire for work, Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff on kindle, and am about to start The Heart's Invisible Furies on audio.

QOTW:
I finished this challenge in July or August, and surpassed my Goodreads goal of 120 (I'm at 169, expecting to hit 175 at the end of the month). Next year I'll be doing both Popsugar and ATY, but I think the goal that I want to focus on the most is getting through the ~10 hardcover books on my nightstand. It's much slower for me to finish those, compared to books on my kindle (or audiobooks, obviously).

I like that half of Ali's books were written by people of color this year - I'd like to get closer to that next year. After a quick scan I'm at about a third of this year's reads, but it might be a little low, since I'm only counting the ones I know for sure (assuming all the white-sounding names are white authors, but it might not always be the case).

message 36: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 42 comments I have been very slowly making my way through Mrs. Dalloway. I haven't been excited to read it, but I'm also super stressed with work, so that's likely part of the problem. I did complete a side read of The Boy at the Top of the Mountain this weekend. I also finished listening to The Light We Lost, which I unfortunately didn't like as much as most of the reviewers.

QOTW:
I finished both ATY and Popsugar two weeks ago and have surpassed my goodreads goal. I have a few left to go though.

TBR challenge (read books within 3 years of adding): 1 to go by the end of the year.
Book Riot Read Harder: 1 to go
Reading Women: 3 to go after I finish Mrs. Dalloway (1 overlaps with Book Riot).

I could have finished these, but took some time to read a few others off my library holds or to help me out for TBR challenge next year. They're all on my kindle, so I should be able to finish them over Christmas break.

message 37: by Hope (last edited Dec 13, 2018 07:28PM) (new)

Hope Happy Thursday all! Finally finished my classes for the semester, so I can now relax and enjoy the holiday season. And read more books, though not that a little thing like school stopped me before!

Finished two books this week I had previously DNFed. This was not intentional; it sort of just worked out that way!

Retribution Falls- I enjoyed this far more on this reattempt than I did on the initial try. Especially starting off, the characters aren't likeable or charming, but they grew on me (like fungus perhaps lol) as I kept reading.

No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished- It finally picked up (I quit originally because I was bored, but I was sad to do so because books 1-2 were soooo good!). The ending got me to want to read the next one, but overall there was way too much talking over action, the main characters are seperated for much of the book, and all the side characters I liked don't really show up much.

QOTW: I finished my PopSugar challenge and blew past my Goodreads challenge long ago. (My problem is I read too much!) Any challenges for the rest of the year is finish The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, The Arabian Nights, and Red Seas Under Red Skies/ Skyward (if my library ever gets it processed and in my hands!) for my group reads.

message 38: by Anabell (new)

Anabell | 354 comments Ellie wrote: "I need to get my blog in order over the holidays, I've been pretty behind in my review writing and I like to have a clean slate for the new year.
..."

I know the feeling but don't see it happening any time soon but would be nice to catch up so I start fresh in the new year :-)

message 39: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 381 comments Good morning from the Farm. Just a quick check in before my daughter and I head to Brisbane for the weekend. She’s picking up her new car in the morning. It’s been another hectic week driving to and fro with no trip shorter than 6 hours one way. And being a menopausal old bat (among other things) I’ve hardly slept. Absolutely exhausted. And this isn’t going to help. Brissy is hot and humid and that is not a recipe for a good sleep. I’m going to the Beach for just under a week though between this weekend and Christmas so I may get some sort of rest in then. Then back up to the Farm for Christmas and back to the beach for a while longer.

Glad your face stayed together this time Jen.

Haven’t finished any books this week but I did read a bit more of Wundersmith by Jessica Townsend. And my reserves came in on BorrowBox this morning so I can finish listening to Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I was half way through when my loan expired months ago and I’ve only just got it back now. Surprisingly it came up as 6 hours to go when I downloaded it so that’s good. BorrowBox remembers for you.

I’m also currently reading
The Cloud Roads by Martha Wells.
Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence
And what seems like a ton of other books all of which are in my book bags in the car ready for my beach time.

QOTW
I still have a couple of books left for both Popsugar and AtY. I don’t think I can use any of them for the other one though. I double dip between the two challenges but not within a challenge. If I’m in the mood they might get finished.

I had a Goodreads goal of 52 and I’ve smashed that with 82 so far. Not a bad first year back.

Next year I may still attempt Popsugar but I’m more interested in reading more Fantasy and Sci Fi. To be honest I haven’t really even checked out the new lists seriously for either challenge. I read through them but that’s it.

Anyway my plans for the next month include a lot of reading. And sleeping.

message 40: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 715 comments It's been a rough week anxiety wise, so I've devoted all my free time to a marathon of Brooklyn 99. I'm feeling better today, though, so hopefully I'll feel like reading again soon. I'm going to be doing a solo 11-hour car trip on Sunday (and again before the new year), so I hope I'm interested in my audiobooks!

Finished
Catching Fire and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. Now that I've finished my series re-read, I'm going to enjoy a movie series re-watch this weekend.

Reading
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Leviathan Wakes by James SA Corey. I love The Expanse. I'm so relieved it got picked up by Amazon after Syfy cancelled it. I can see why a producer read this book and had the idea to make it a TV series. The world-building is incredible.

QOTW
1) I did PopSugar in 2015, but not in 2016 or 2017. Since I finished the challenge in August, I decided to go back and read books for the 2016 and 2017 prompts. I have 3 prompts left - a book more than 600 pages (The Count of Monte Cristo), a book from Oprah's book club (Anna Karenina), and a book with a month or day of the week in the title. I have no clue what to read for the last one. I don't think I'll finish this year.

2) I've read 92 books this year, which is way more than I've ever read before. But I'd like to make it to 95. I think I can do it. I'll be listening to 2 audiobooks on my long drives. My mom and I give each other a book on Christmas Eve and spend the night reading. Even if I don't finish anything else, that will be enough.

message 41: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 40 comments Hey guys - I haven't checked in since the beginning of the year! I was so good during 2017 but haven't been during 2018. Was busy working around the clock with tax season at work during the winter, then started school again in the summer, so haven't really had any time to read or check Good Reads. Only at 17/52 books this year so I definitely won't be reaching my goal. Hope to turn it up again for 2019.

QOTW:
I need to finish at least one Stephen King book before the end of the year. I'm about 100 pages intoDoctor Sleep, so I should be able to do it!

message 42: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1707 comments Kelly wrote: "Man, you all are making me jealous with your Christmas plans. My work only gives me one day off and I was only able to use one additional vacation day, so we have to drive 6 hours round-trip in ord..."
Definitely past time to set some holiday boundaries. It's one thing if you have aging parents who are going to be alone if you don't get yourself there for the holidays, it's another if it's just evolved into your being the ones to travel all the time because you have no kids. Perhaps decide you are going to shift to a better time of year for a holiday gathering with your brother and his family, and suddenly have the flu over this Christmas making travel impossible. A couple of years of not having sufficient time off to travel the distance (only and your husband need realize whether that's true or not) or being 'sick', and you will no longer be expected. *grins evilly*

I am also quietly shelving my beloved doorstopper books, lest they distract me from next year's challenge.

Kelly - Maybe you make your PS challenge all about reading doorstoppers? As many as you can fit in the year, and whatever number you reach means you have completed the challenge? PS should be something that suits your reading requirements - and if that means you only read 14 books but they are books you have long wanted to read and been distracted from reading, then it's a win. One of my friends has decided to see if she can fit an Agatha Christie mystery for every prompt. Another never manages to read more than 40 or 42 books a year, so she's creating a PS prompt list of around 40 books, leaving out the prompts she does not want to read, still keeping a few more challenging ones. Another option is to pepper a couple doorstoppers in.

I didn't have a doorstopper this year, but I usually do - last year was Hunger’s Brides: A Novel of the Baroque, a 1400 page behemoth and stylistically and format challenging. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to have one next year - probably Ulysses, which is more a stylistic doorstopper than a page number one.

message 43: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1707 comments Lauren wrote: " finished The Last Watchman of Old Cairo on kindle, and I enjoyed it... It seemed like it was building up for a very powerful ending, but it didn't go quite as far as I was hoping. And I was a little confused .."

So glad you enjoyed this one as I have been recommending it far and wide after enjoying it earlier this year! As for your question, (view spoiler) Of course, my information is an outsider's information as I'm Catholic, but I live in NYC with a very large diverse Jewish population, and this has come up in conversation.

message 44: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1707 comments Monkiecat wrote: "I am sorely lacking in christmas spirit... but trying..."

Read Lady Osbaldestone's Christmas Goose - it did the trick for me - regency village Christmas with carol singing, Nativity re-enactment, decking halls with holly, ivy and mistletoe, and lots of humor and good cheer. And it's less than 200 pages - you can read it in an afternoon. I think it's going to be an annual re-read for me. And there is little romance in it -- it's really just a charming Christmas story.

message 45: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments Well I found my Christmas sprit today. It's Lucia Day where children dress in white, walk in procession and sing a special, beautiful Lucia song and carry lights. I don't know how it's celebrated outside Scandinavia (if at all) but here it's a big thing and it has a strong message about the light being carried forward in this dark time of year. A lot of the Christmas traditions I love the most are centered around light in a dark time (metaphorically and literally). Well today my 9 year old son walked in the procession with all the other children in his grade. It was beautiful, calming and reminded me what Christmas is really about.

message 46: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1707 comments Anna wrote: "Good evening, I am just on my way home from my work Christmas party. Seemed like a good opportunity to check-in!

I read Miller's Valley by Anna Quindlen (an author with the same f..."

I LOVED Miller's Valley - read it in 2017. In fact, there were some scary-similar-to-my-life moments in it - but that's something I often experience with Anna's books quite frequently and frankly is not surprising: she graduated from Barnard College just a couple years before I did and she lives and experiences much the same life I have had. Of course I'm going to identify!

Still catches me off-guard some times.

message 47: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 777 comments Johanne wrote: "Well I found my Christmas sprit today. It's Lucia Day where children dress in white, walk in procession and sing a special, beautiful Lucia song and carry lights. I don't know how it's celebrated o..."

I love hearing about the different traditions around the world through this group. This one sounds lovely.

message 48: by Tania (new)

Tania | 499 comments Hello - I have been watching Christmas movies too, I love rewatching my favorites every year.

I'm now 49/50 for the challenge! I realized that I could retrofit a book into the people reading in public places prompt, and now I'm working on the final prompt (weather in title).

Johnny Carson by Henry Bushkin - more about Carson's lawyer than Carson, and more of a negative tone than I would have liked, but there were some interesting parts

Ricochet Joe by Dean Koontz - really loved this short offering from Koontz, super creepy and I liked the Kindle in Motion features

Catching Murphy by Wilson Ring - a Kindle Single about a lost dog and how the search for him brought a community together, excellent book

Copper King by Vivian Arend - romantic novella, a free read, it was just ok

QOTW: I'm very close to my yearly goal of 150 books, I'm at 147. I'm not at all close to my goal to my Around the World in 80 Books goal, but I did better on that one than last year (21 countries read this year). My 50 states goal is up to 29/51, another that I'm likely to miss but again better than last year.

message 49: by Teri (last edited Dec 19, 2018 02:35PM) (new)

Teri (teria) | 1148 comments I finished two books this week:

The Tuesday Club Murders by Agatha Christie
I've been slowing working on reading Agatha Christie books in publication order. I discovered an Agatha Christie Lovers group on Goodreads and have been waiting for them to catch up to me so I can start participating in that group. So this was the first month (but for some reason they haven't been discussing it yet - maybe I don't understand how it works over there). Anyway, I loved this book which is basically a collection of short stories as it is composed of a group of friends telling each other the set-ups of mysteries, and seeing who can guess the solution (Jane Marple is one of the friends, so you can probably guess who). Delightful book.

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
I read this for the ATY prompt of alternate history. I've enjoyed Philip Dick short stories, but I wasn't a big fan of this novel. I didn't care about the characters or even the plot, although the idea of how the world would be if the USA and the Allies had not won World War II is an interesting concept. There was too much I didn't understand in this book, and I didn't care enough to figure it out.

Goodreads - Finished (101/90)
PopSugar - Finished
ATY - 50/52

Question of the week:

I've finished my Goodreads Challenge of 90 books (originally set at 60 but bumped up). I've also finished the PopSugar Challenge, and after it was done I plugged books into the ATY Challenge and only had five left to read, which should be finished by the end of the week. I've read more books this year than any other adult year.

The only "challenge" I have left is to start working on my lists for next year (I've only figured out the first couple of books I plan to read in January). I plan to do PopSugar and ATY, double dipping as needed, as well as continue my Agatha Christie reading and my IRL book clubs. Can't wait to see what the year brings.

Edit: I have talked myself out of doing ATY. I have other reading goals I've set (like catching up with series I haven't finished, reading biographies about the founding fathers, etc) and I just can't do it all since no one will pay me to stay home and read.

message 50: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Oertel | 740 comments Theresa wrote: "Lauren wrote: " finished The Last Watchman of Old Cairo on kindle, and I enjoyed it... It seemed like it was building up for a very powerful ending, but it didn't go quite as far as I was hoping. A..."

Thanks for this info! At first I was thinking, "Wow, how cool!" Then it was, "Wait a minute..." haha.

« previous 1 3