Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Butter in the Well by Linda K. Hubalek**3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle M. (new)

Michelle M. | 46 comments This is a story of a Swedish emigrant settling in Kansas. The story is the diary of Kajsa Svensson Runeberg. She tells about the hardship of settling a new area, living in a sod house, and the loss of loved ones. Kajsa also speaks of the happiness found and the birth of new loved ones. It is a historical fiction based on a real family. It was an interesting story.

message 2: by AsimovsZeroth (new)

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments What did you like/dislike about it? Sounds like it could certainly be an interesting work of historical fiction, but I'd be interested to hear more of your thoughts on it.

message 3: by Michelle M. (last edited Dec 14, 2018 01:46AM) (new)

Michelle M. | 46 comments LiteraryMania wrote: "What did you like/dislike about it? Sounds like it could certainly be an interesting work of historical fiction, but I'd be interested to hear more of your thoughts on it."

I enjoyed reading about the things I didn't know about or the things I never thought about. She talks about living in a sod house and dealing with the constant dirt, the spiders, the snakes, and prairie fires. She briefly talks about their Swedish traditions and trying to maintain them in America. The reader gets to experience the excitement of family being reunited in the settlement. Trying to start schools and the railroad coming through is touched on. Of course death was a common occurrence and that too is talked about. The things that I didn't like was the mundane day to day things that were mentioned. Yet even though those things were not exciting they did make it more realistic, more like reading a journal. I also wished some of the entries were more detailed. I would have enjoyed reading more about clearing the land and building the homes.