Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Martian
This topic is about The Martian
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Martian [Feb 15, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
The Martian - Andy Weir.
February 15th.

message 2: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Spot!

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments In :)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Just discovered that there's a prequel short story: Diary of an AssCan!
Do you guys want to include it in this buddy read? It has 4 pages, so there's not a lot to read. I'd recommend reading it AFTER the novel though. It has some jokes that make more sense in the context of the book.

message 5: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Yes definitely!

Thanks, Angela!

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Loving the book so much. It's a reread for me, but I'm just as invested as the first time around. Mark's humour is exactly my kind of thing and his comments are hilarious. Up to sol 116 so far.

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Sol 193
(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Sol 504
(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Finished! Loved it, of course. Can't wait to see what you guys think of it :)

message 10: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments Glad this thread popped up in my notifications! I forgot that I planned to read this. I will get to it in a few days. =)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Went to hunt down that book and I was all: "there are 2 editions?"... apparently it started as a web-serial, and was picked up by Random House for publication... the edited version trimmed out the epilogue (view spoiler)

I haven't read this book yet, but I watched the movie some time ago... someone recommended the book to me last month, for the PIFM challenge...

Angela Jr. | 995 comments That was me!
Yeah, he originally published it on his website and then to the kindle shop for 99cents (lowest price available). It sold so well that it ended up in the top 5 (i think) most sold scifi ebooks. Which is when publishing and hollywood came knocking, of course...

message 13: by Soo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments That's pretty cool. =)

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments I am yet to start :(

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments I'm binging the sh!t out of this... half done already... this some of the scenes sound like they were put in the movie word for word... such a great book...

Don't really have too much to say...

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments I've started, but not been able to comment yet.

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments It's my first SF - book (shame on me!) and I thought the scientific stuff would annoy me, but I really enjoy reading this. I love the humor and the sarcastic touches.

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Ending: I had to pull up some movie clips... (view spoiler)

Great book, great movie. Really stayed true to the source material.

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "It's my first SF - book (shame on me!) and I thought the scientific stuff would annoy me, but I really enjoy reading this. I love the humor and the sarcastic touches."

New genre to love.

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "I'm binging the sh!t out of this... half done already... this some of the scenes sound like they were put in the movie word for word... such a great book...

Don't really have too much to say..."

I know right! Even if you know what happens already, it's impossible not to binge this book!

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "It's my first SF - book (shame on me!) and I thought the scientific stuff would annoy me, but I really enjoy reading this. I love the humor and the sarcastic touches."

I made my mother (an ADAMANT sci-fi/fantasy hater) read this book and she loved it to pieces.
The science in this book is really irrelevant to the story, what makes it shine is mark's humour and perseverance!

message 22: by Angela Jr. (last edited Feb 23, 2019 04:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Since then she's also started harry potter and is up to book 5 now. She's not loving it but enjoying it enough that she wants to continue at least.
Next up i want her to read The Book Thief. Hope she lets me convince her haha

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I started this one late. I wasn't going to read it but it popped up at my library and I was hooked from the first chapter. I love the writing style. It's captivating. I'm still only about 10% cuz I'm reading it via kindle in but I think this one will be a very quick read.

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Saar The Book owl wrote: "It's my first SF - book (shame on me!) and I thought the scientific stuff would annoy me, but I really enjoy reading this. I love the humor and the sarcastic touches."

Ne..."

I don't know about that, but I'll give it a try :)

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Saar The Book owl wrote: "It's my first SF - book (shame on me!) and I thought the scientific stuff would annoy me, but I really enjoy reading this. I love the humor and the sarcastic touches."

I ..."

Yes, it's like you have 2 parts in this book: the science and then the humour and the perseverance. I don't know if I would do what he does. Besides that, I'm not into science, but how the author brings it, makes it interesting.

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments I'm on log 114: I can't imagine how Mark is getting through all of this. I think I would go mad!

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments I'm wondering how Weir did his research. I mean: you have to do a lot of it to be able to write so detailed. There are a lot of interesting experiments also.

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "I'm wondering how Weir did his research. I mean: you have to do a lot of it to be able to write so detailed. There are a lot of interesting experiments also."

Lifelong research, it sounds like:

ANDY WEIR built a career as a software engineer until the success of his first published novel, THE MARTIAN, allowed him to live out his dream of writing fulltime. He is a lifelong space nerd and a devoted hobbyist of subjects such as relativistic physics, orbital mechanics, and the history of manned spaceflight. He also mixes a mean cocktail. He lives in California. Andy’s next book, ARTEMIS, is available now

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I'm loving the book. I love Mark's sense of humor.

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments Thanks, Iain, I didn't know. That makes sense now! I thikn I'll read his other one too.

I've finished it and absolutely loved it. The conversation that Johanssen had with her dad was hilarious. I can imagin his face.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I hit a reading slump so it's been taking me longer than usual to get through my books, but I'm almost done and this is going to be my first 5 star book of the year. I loved it. Great mix of science, action, and humor.