Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society [Jan 11, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer.
January 11th.

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Spot!

Brittany | 146 comments I'm going to try and join in for this, I've heard so many good things!

message 4: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
spot!

Melissa | 1263 comments Were others still interested in reading this one?

Brittany | 146 comments I'm going to have to wait on it sadly, so I will be reading it at a later date.

Melissa | 1263 comments Okay. Well, I have it ready on my shelf if anyone else is interested. Karishma? Margret?

Cindy III | 50 comments I have a copy of this too. I'd definitely like to join this buddy read if I can.

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments I'm ready. I started a bit today morning.

Melissa | 1263 comments I started a bit tonight.

21st January 1946
I'm trying to think of whether it is is simply due to modern or local house design, but how lonely it is that I never see families behind lighted windows nowadays. No glimpses into neighborhood parlors, like in the movies. It reminds me of Peter Pan searching for open windows.

10 February 1946
What an odd thing to provide references for. I mean... an excuse for additional POV I suppose, but how odd all the same. Just me?

Melissa | 1263 comments 19 February 1946
Reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad books.

What do you all think?

Timelord Iain | 15599 comments Melissa wrote: "19 February 1946

What do you all think?"

I heard about this book a year or 2 ago, so I'm hoping to make time to join...

Regarding that quote, I agree, for the most part... reading better books definitely colors perceptions of books you used to think were great when you didn't know better... but at the same time, sometimes you just want to read simple fluff books... the Michael Bay of authors :)

Melissa | 1263 comments It'd be nice if you could find the time to join us Iain. :)

Yes, I like to think that good books help you to develop taste, but it's true there are some childhood things that sadly do not hold up well at all. That said, I'm still not above indulging in some fluff. (Although on the definition thereof I'll have to disagree. I still am entertained by and feel affection for fluff, which I cannot claim for Michael Bay's incoherent seizures. *shudder*)

Melissa | 1263 comments Horrible, but this line gave me a chuckle.
27th March 1946 (view spoiler)

message 15: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 15, 2019 05:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 15599 comments Melissa wrote: "It'd be nice if you could find the time to join us Iain. :)

Yes, I like to think that good books help you to develop taste, but it's true there are some childhood things that sadly do not hold up..."

I liked old Michael Bay movies... and have seen most Transformer movies, over time... Michael Anderle is probably the most Michael Bay-ish author I've ever read... his books are mostly over-the-top action with little risk of defeat, and tons of creative swearing... me and Choko have been listening to the books monthly for the past year...

I kinda jumbled my meanings, when I tried to equate fluff & "popcorn books"... but regardless, each type of book has it's time :)

I read Monster Hunter International a few years ago, and made it to the end, but I couldn't read another book in the series... just too much machismo & gun talk and Larry Stu-ing... which is sad, because I loved the Hard Magic trilogy...

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Melissa wrote: "I started a bit tonight.

21st January 1946
I'm trying to think of whether it is is simply due to modern or local house design, but how lonely it is that I never see families behind lighted windows..."

What a coincidence - I was thinking of the same thing today. I went and gave some of that cake to one of my neighbours - she used to be my grandmother's good friend - even now we can see their kitchen from ours. We were talking about how they used to pass along food to each other via a stick through the verandah - which has now been closed from their side because of A.C. and how they had this whole circle of neighborhood friends etc. Nowadays nobody really is that friendly with their neighbours or knows what's really going on with them. At least not where I live.

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Melissa wrote: "I started a bit tonight.

21st January 1946
I'm trying to think of whether it is is simply due to modern or local house design, but how lonely it is that I never see families behind lighted windows..."

It was quite odd, but it was a nice way to get some background about Juliet's past.

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Melissa wrote: "19 February 1946

What do you all think?"

Wholeheartedly agree. I am often loathe to reread really old books I enjoyed before joining Goodreads or even some in the initial stages because of how many better books I have read since then.

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Iain join!

Timelord Iain | 15599 comments Karishma wrote: "Iain join!"

Constantly being pulled in so many different directions, the second I'm almost caught up...

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society with you guys
Sabriel with Narilka
The Paper Magician with Anni
On the Shoulders of Titans & Life in the North with Soo
The Reality Dysfunction, which I keep putting off for faster, fluffier reads...

Melissa | 1263 comments Oh my goodness, this book just has these lines that crack me up. I had to stifle a squawk on the train earlier.
12th April 1946
(view spoiler)

Melissa | 1263 comments 22nd April 1946
(view spoiler)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Melissa wrote: "22nd April 1946
[spoilers removed]"

Yes, this was so much fun!

Melissa | 1263 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Karishma wrote: "Iain join!"

Constantly being pulled in so many different directions, the second I'm almost caught up...

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society with you..."

Oof, I definitely would not be able to juggle so many books. That said, I love Sabriel, and hope you enjoy it too. ❤

Timelord Iain | 15599 comments Melissa wrote: "Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Karishma wrote: "Iain join!"

[book:The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel..."

The list of books is deceptive... I juggle the schedule more than the books, with the exception of tomes like Reality Dysfunction (1236 pages)... since I can read 300-400 pages/day, usually, I just read a different book from beginning to end each day... still means most of a week, tho...

Melissa | 1263 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Karishma wrote: "Iain join!"

[book:The Guernsey Literary..."

Even without them overlapping, I doubt I could switch tracks from one book to the next like that. I like to dwell in a particular world, or on a single subject for a while to process it, so unless it's a continuation of a series, or at least the same author, I can't jump immediately from one thing to the next.

Do you ever get book hangovers?

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Done. This book 😍😍😍😍

Melissa | 1263 comments Karishma wrote: "Done. This book 😍😍😍😍"

Oh, done already? Thoughts? Favorite bits?

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Melissa wrote: "Karishma wrote: "Done. This book 😍😍😍😍"

Oh, done already? Thoughts? Favorite bits?"

I have been replying to your comments as you are stating your thoughts. It's so in tune with mine that I really didn't have anything specific to say.

Well, my favourite parts are yet to come for you - in part 2 when she comes to Guernsey!

As to then book - part 1 was a bit slow for me and part 2 was basically just ❤️

Melissa | 1263 comments Awwwww. Finished!
You're right, I left off yesterday right before all the flustered inducements to burn letters, so the last bit today was just one big squishy ❤.

(view spoiler)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments I was so devastated to hear about you know who and happy about Kit's ending.

Ah - yes so very 😍 in the end. Me too, once she reaches the island we got no insight into that POV.

Melissa | 1263 comments Oh yes! Kit's and Juliet's relationship and how it progressed was so sweet. First so wary, and then opening up, playing games like Dead Bride. Even from the beginning Juliet registered little marks of trust and affection like a hand touching her knee.

Also, I think a round of applause is also due for Juliet after Mark came to visit. Good show!

Yes, overall a sweet and satisfying read. :)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Mark was terrible - I was appalled by his behaviour towards Kit.

Melissa | 1263 comments The thing is, his behavior wouldn't have been so bad if he had actually listened to her or paid attention to what she wanted. In this way it was all too realistic. (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 15599 comments Just started... is the whole book epistolary?

I haven't read many epistolary books... main ones I can think of are the Illuminae Files, and Dear Aaron, which switches to normal style around 50%, once the military pen pals thing transitions to meeting one another...

message 36: by Melissa (last edited Jan 20, 2019 07:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melissa | 1263 comments Hi Iain! Glad you could make it.
Yes the whole thing is epistolary - although there is also a journal entry of sorts once. I also haven't read many epistolary novels, but generally enjoy them. The last was Ella Minnow Pea: A Novel in Letters, which is a charmingly clever "progressively lipogrammic epistolary fable." A very well-received gift from a friend.

message 37: by Cindy III (last edited Jan 21, 2019 11:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cindy III | 50 comments Melissa wrote: "19 February 1946

What do you all think?"

Well that depends on how one defines a good book. Also I might still be reading bad books and can't differentiate between the good and bad yet.
Edit
Now that I have read what book Isola was referring to in this quote I better understand. I have read Wuthering Heights and it is good. It helped that a school copy had notes at the bottom for some of the parts because I could not understand it. I couldn't take the school copy home, but at home I continued reading my own copy (reviewing notes later; it was that good). I do not know the other book Ill-Used by Candlelight, if it is real.

Timelord Iain | 15599 comments Men are more interesting in books than in real life.

I AM OFFEND...

I paused the book early the other day... listening now when I can pay more attention...

message 39: by Cindy III (last edited Jan 22, 2019 01:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cindy III | 50 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Men are more interesting in books than in real life.

I AM OFFEND...

I paused the book early the other day... listening now when I can pay more attention..."

I guess you were not offended for long as you typed since your sentence ended in ellipsis. However, either gender is more interesting in books.

message 40: by Cindy III (last edited Jan 21, 2019 11:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cindy III | 50 comments Adelaide Addison is annoying. True to life though, isn't she?

Timelord Iain | 15599 comments Book characters get to have the best responses... I usually think of the best responses 30 minutes/days too late... and I use ellipses everywhere... unless I'm worried it gives the wrong tone and throw in an emote ;)

This has been full of great lines/moments... agree about Adelaide...

Melissa | 1263 comments Ah, would that we all could pre-script our conversations for such witty repartee! At least it's slightly more realistic in an epistolary novel, especially where the protagonist is a comic writer. Makes sense at least.

Timelord Iain | 15599 comments Finished... end was a bit sudden, but what can you do, with an epistolary format, outside of breaking from it?...

I could read a whole book of Isla/Ysula's (I thought her name was Ursula with a Y for most of the book) misguided adventures...

Timelord Iain | 15599 comments Melissa wrote: "Oh yes! Kit's and Juliet's relationship and how it progressed was so sweet. First so wary, and then opening up, playing games like Dead Bride. Even from the beginning Juliet registered little marks..."

I thought Dead Bride was a horrible game... but then, most children's games have horrifying implications... like how Ring Around the Rosie was about the Bubonic Plague / Black Death...

Ring around the rosie, pocket full of posey, ashes, ashes, we all fall down...

Melissa | 1263 comments Truly, children have macabre little minds sometimes. Playing dead and holding funerals is surprisingly common.

However, in the interest of etymology, I feel I must point out that the Ring Around the Rosie poem doesn't refer to the the Plague - it's just a modern attribution.

Cindy III | 50 comments The one about London bridge is falling down is about plague for sure, yeah? So people wouldn't be able to leave and spread the illness.

Melissa | 1263 comments Cindy III wrote: "The one about London bridge is falling down is about plague for sure, yeah? So people wouldn't be able to leave and spread the illness."

Haha, no I'm afraid not. I'd heard of the ♪ashes, ashes♪ Plague folk etymology before, but never for London Bridge. Whie aspects of its origin may be uncertain, I know of no evidence that suggests it has anything to do with The Plague.

It'd make a fantastic scene to a movie though... the plague resurfaces in Arizona - zombie style. Quarantine has been enforced. The last exit is across the old London Bridge. The horde of the afflicted approaches. London Bridge... Must. Fall. Down.

message 48: by Karishma (last edited Jan 26, 2019 12:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments So I just finished watching the movie and it's lovely if you haven't read the book but in no way does it have the depth the book has. At all!

There were aww moments but it's like the movie is 3 stars if the book is 10 stars.

But the best part of the movie is how beautiful Guernsey is visually, I loved that as well as of course how 😍😍 Dawsey is!

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments And I think the part about the movie I didn't like especially was Kit's portrayal - compared to how integral Kit was to the book and all the relationships - in the movie she was just a prop or a plot device - very superficially there.

Cindy III | 50 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Finished... end was a bit sudden, but what can you do, with an epistolary format, outside of breaking from it?...

I could read a whole book of Isla/Ysula's (I thought her name was Ursula with a Y ..."

Yeah Isola is quite interesting. Too bad she gave up being like Miss Marple, but motorcycle racing next? I want to know how that goes.

Come to think of it I want to know what happens next with Kit and Dawsey and Juliet. Everyone.

« previous 1