Play Book Tag discussion

Are You My Mother? A Comic Drama
This topic is about Are You My Mother? A Comic Drama
Archive: Other Books > Are You My Mother? / Alison Bechdel. 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8129 comments Are You My Mother? / Alison Bechdel
2.5 stars

Alison Bechdel’s first graphic novel, “Fun Home”, looked at her growing up and her relationship with her dad. This one was meant to look at her relationship with her mom.

This was not only an analysis of the author’s relationship with her mother, but an analysis of her therapy. Or, that’s what it felt like, anyway. There were plenty of references to Virginia Wolff and a psychoanalyist, Donald Winnicott, as well as quotes. In fact, most of the book felt more like that than looking back at her relationship with her mother, though there was some of that. For that reason, I wasn’t a fan, though I remember really liking her “Fun Home”, so I was disappointed in this one.

message 2: by AsimovsZeroth (new)

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Ha! This is not the book I was thinking of and came here wondering why you rated such an inoffensive children's book so low... my mistake.

I've definitely been torn on whether or not I want to make an effort to find Alison Bechdel's works. Do they all tend to mostly be about her personal relationships and mental health? Knowing little about her, I probably wouldn't bother if that's the case. I enjoy personal stories, but something else about that person has to catch my interest first.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8299 comments I read it for my psychoanalytic book group tonight, Fun Home that is, and I also listened to the musical which enhanced it. I thought this book was more than a commentary on gender and homosexuality, it was really about relationships and a father daughter relationship in particular. I was unbelievably moved. And of course left wondering about the mother too. Never ever thought a graphic novel with interest or move me, but now I’ve been moved by the only two I’ve ever read.

Liked your thoughts on the other thread. Didn’t comment, but wanted to say that I really appreciated you LM.

message 4: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Oh dang, I really liked Fun Home-so sad to see a lower rating for the follow up.

Literary- I'd say Fun Home reads as a memoir firstly. Mostly about her relationships, and her realization of her sexuality. It's pretty personal, however the "catch" is that she grew up in a Funeral home (Fun Home), and the themes of death are woven throughout the book.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8299 comments About to go to my book group on this. Will follow up!

LibraryCin | 8129 comments LiteraryMania wrote: "Ha! This is not the book I was thinking of and came here wondering why you rated such an inoffensive children's book so low... my mistake. ..."

LOL! Yes, it's the title! (But, I didn't think of that impression just from looking at the subject line!)

LibraryCin | 8129 comments LiteraryMania wrote: "I've definitely been torn on whether or not I want to make an effort to find Alison Bechdel's works. Do they all tend to mostly be about her personal relationships and mental health?..."

Oh, the first one - Fun Home - I gave 4 stars! It was really good! I think the first one is a worthwhile read, but the second one (this one) could be given a pass.

LibraryCin | 8129 comments Amy wrote: "I read it for my psychoanalytic book group tonight, Fun Home that is, and I also listened to the musical which enhanced it. I thought this book was more than a commentary on gender and homosexualit..."

Oh, for a psychoanalytic book club, this one (Are you My Mother?) would really work!

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8299 comments Close enough! It’s Fun Home!

LibraryCin | 8129 comments Amy wrote: "Close enough! It’s Fun Home!"

They are very different, and this one really really focuses on therapy and psychoanalysis!