Play Book Tag discussion

And the Band Played On: The Titanic Violinist & the Glovemaker: A True Story of Love, Loss & Betrayal
This topic is about And the Band Played On
Archive: Other Books > And the Band Played On / Christopher Ward. 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8631 comments Jock Hume was a young violinist, playing in the band on the Titanic – the band that famously played bravely on, as the ship sank. Jock, along with the rest of the band, died that night. The author of the book is a descendant of Jock and is looking not only at the aftermath of the Titanic disaster, but is looking closely at Jock’s life and volatile relationship with his musician/violinist and violin-maker father. Ward also looks at, in the aftermath of the Titanic disaster, the woman that Jock left pregnant, Mary, whom he intended to marry. The baby that resulted, Johnann (later called Jackie), is the author’s mother.

I really liked this. The first half of the book was more focused on both Jock and the aftermath of the Titanic. There was also some look (I think for comparison purposes) at millionaire John Jacob Astor and his subsequent recovery and his body’s trip home. The second half really did focus on Jock’s family; his father did not like Mary and there were “squabbles” (to put it mildly) and legal battles. I love reading more about the Titanic and I also love biographies, so this worked really well for me. There are plenty of nice photos included, as well. I read the paperback, which had a few updates that didn’t get into the hardcover edition.

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments This sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the review LibraryCin! I've heard about this one before, but only in passing, so I didn't quite realize it was a biography. It's definitely on my TBR after reading your review!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review. This book sounds interesting. The Titanic and the stories behind it always fascinate me. I have been to one of the touring exhibits with some artifacts they were able to retrieve. It really brought it to life.

LibraryCin | 8631 comments Rachel wrote: "Good review. This book sounds interesting. The Titanic and the stories behind it always fascinate me. I have been to one of the touring exhibits with some artifacts they were able to retrieve. It r..."

Oh, yes! I was at one of those, as well! I think it was the 100 year anniversary when it came here. I remember on my ticket, I was given the name and class of one of the passengers and when I got to the end, I could look to see if that passenger survived.

LibraryCin | 8631 comments LiteraryMania wrote: "This sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the review LibraryCin! I've heard about this one before, but only in passing, so I didn't quite realize it was a biography. It's definitely on my TBR after..."

I hope you like it!

message 6: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 3886 comments Nice review! Funny, I just posted a review of another book about the Titanic. This one sounds interesting. I had not heard of it before. I am adding it. Thanks!

LibraryCin | 8631 comments Joy D wrote: "Nice review! Funny, I just posted a review of another book about the Titanic. This one sounds interesting. I had not heard of it before. I am adding it. Thanks!"

Thank you and enjoy!