Play Book Tag discussion

American Gods (American Gods, #1)
This topic is about American Gods
December 2018: Geek Reads > American Gods by Neil Gaiman - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1080 comments This book has been on my TBR shelf for a long time, and I'm glad I got a push to read it this month for Geek Reads.

This book is very hard to classify. It was awarded the Bram Stoker award for Horror, the Hugo award for Science Fiction and the Nebula award for Fantasy. Hard to write a book that hits all three of those categories, let alone wins prizes in each category.

At the beginning of the book, the main character Shadow is being let out of prison after 3 years. He meets an odd character who convinces him to take on some odd jobs, mostly unspecified up front.

I don't want to give any spoilers, so I'll just say that Shadow takes a journey through America, and what it means to be an American.

The author is British, and wrote this book shortly after moving to America. In interviews, he's shared that this book was his way of making sense of the story and experience of America.

I loved this book. I rarely give 5 stars, saving that category for books that really touch me or carry me away.

message 2: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki | 661 comments I really enjoyed this one too! (I'll try to keep it vague, but there's a particular section involving a car in a lake that has stuck in my head for a long time.) I read it several years ago (before leaving England), so I think I might have to re-read it now to see whether it helps me with my own experience of trying to make sense of living in America...

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed this one so much Sue! This is definitely one of my all time favorite books, but then, I'm a sucker for Gaiman and a sucker for works that (view spoiler) ...Not sure that really needed the spoiler tag, but better safe than sorry. If you enjoyed this one, you might also want to check out Anansi Boys which I found particularly delightful, as my mom used to read me Anansi myths when I was in preschool and I just ate them up!

Also, just a random fun fact about Neil Gaiman - did you know, that on one of his properties he installed a lamp post in the woods, because he was such a fan of The Narnia Chronicles - definitely living the bookworm's dream right there. There are pictures of it on his blog somewhere and it makes me insanely jealous.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan | 16 comments I enjoyed this book. And I agree with Nikki--the scenes in the town in the winter are so well done and paced.

I watched the first season of the Showtime adaptation, and it captures the character of Wednesday very well, but I found the emphasis on violence detracts from the wonder of the work. I was somewhat disappointed.

In addition to Anansi Boys, I would also recommend The Graveyard Book, which I found very intriguing. Reading it recently, I realized the author of American Gods and The Sandman series had plenty of unique stories to tell.

message 5: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2321 comments Neverwhere was my first Gaiman book and I was hooked! I hadn’t realised until recently that it was the novel version of a TV series by Gaiman and Lenny Henry, though. Still haven’t seen the series, but getting a hankering to re-read the book ...

message 6: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments This book will always have a special little place in my heart, as after my husband read it- we decided to put a Gaiman passage (NOT from this book, lol) into our wedding vows.

Me? I read half, and have yet to read the other half. I have no idea why I stopped reading it- it's probably been about a year or a year and a half. I need to finish this book....

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8516 comments From which book, Joi? Finishing Stardust now.

message 8: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments @Amy- Not from a book, but a passage he wrote

I'm pretty sure I've posted it to GR before, who knows when or where.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8516 comments Now that’s an old tune! With your affinity for Broadway you might know it, but with your youth, possibly not.