Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America Funny in Farsi discussion

Book Review #8

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Gemignani For our last weeks book review I choose to read Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas. This book is memoir about a young Iranian girl who moves, with her family, from Iran to California in the 1970’s. Firoozeh moved when she was just seven years old, so the novel tells her experiences in america as the years go on. This book was actually very interesting to me. I am not usually a non-fiction reader, but since the book was recommended to me, I thought I would give it a try. I really enjoyed Firoozeh and her family in the novel. Each chapter in the book is about a new adventure or funny story that the family experiences in America, so it made it more appealing to read. This novel is different than other memoirs I’ve read because of Firoozeh humor and perspective on Iranian immigrants. Even Though the novel documents her struggles to learn english and transition into the US school system, she takes all these challenges with humor, which was refreshing to read in a memoir. Another aspects that I liked was her perspective on immigration. Being from the middle east, she did receive criticism, so it wasing interesting to see how she handled it through the perspective of herself. I think media and other books don't often portray the struggles the immigrants go through accurately. I really liked how she talks positively about both her native culture and American culture. I would keep this book in future classroom rooms because of its relevance to immigration, which is a heavily discussed topic in today's society.

Nicole I totally related to this book as I immigrated at around the same time. It really had some LOL moments. I recommended it to my children and we actually met the author once.