Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Keshav Raj Pindali
This topic is about Keshav Raj Pindali
Book Issues > Please Add Author's profile picture

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13584 comments Is it a valid source now that they have uploaded it to Wikimedia commons as public domain?

message 3: by Michael (last edited Dec 12, 2018 07:58PM) (new)

Michael Korleone (michaelkorleone) | 3881 comments Emily wrote: "Is it a valid source now that they have uploaded it to Wikimedia commons as public domain?"

From the link -
This work has been released into the public domain by its author, Madan Puraskar. This applies worldwide.
In some countries this may not be legally possible; if so:
Madan Puraskar grants anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

Although the user who uploaded to wiki shows as Bivek :P

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Dec 12, 2018 09:14PM) (new)

rivka | 42507 comments Mod
Emily wrote: "Is it a valid source now that they have uploaded it to Wikimedia commons as public domain?"

In general, yes. Author photos on Wikipedia that are clearly labelled as being in the public domain are fine. [Edit: Unless one has reason to believe otherwise. Use caution with images uploaded to Wikipedia within the last 30 days.] I suggest using a copyright reason of something along the lines of, "The image is in the public domain, as per [link]."

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Michael wrote: "Although the user who uploaded to wiki shows as Bivek"

Then perhaps said individual can provide proof of permission other than said Wikipage?

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Korleone (michaelkorleone) | 3881 comments rivka wrote: "Michael wrote: "Although the user who uploaded to wiki shows as Bivek"

Then perhaps said individual can provide proof of permission other than said Wikipage?"

No I meant that the user name in wiki is similar which made me smile - I have no idea if it's the same person. Would it matter though, coz wiki link explicitly states that the image is in public domain?

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Dec 12, 2018 08:21PM) (new)

I have no idea if it is a common name, but the file was uploaded to Wikipedia today.

Wikilinks are only as reliable as the user who added the data.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

And it is the same author as in this topic: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 9: by Bivek (new)

Bivek Bhandari | 737 comments Hello,
There is another similar photo which was uploaded as public domain by some other user in wikipedia.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/...

It was the photo taken from the same site I used to upload "Keshav Raj Pindali" photo on wikipedia.
So I thought it is allowed to upload the photo as public domain in wikipedia. I am sorry for the mistake but I am just trying to improve the Goodreads data of Nepali books.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

A photo of a living person is only in the public domain if the person who took the photo gives permission for it to be in the public domain. You have not provided evidence of that.

Improving the Goodreads database is a laudable goal. But only if you follow all policies, and that includes providing the original source of all images. Most images (and for that matter, most data) that you find on random internet sites cannot be uploaded here without the explicit permission of the person who owns the data.

message 11: by Bivek (new)

Bivek Bhandari | 737 comments Thank You for your suggestions. Will not make similar mistakes again.