Discourse in a Digital Age discussion

Favorite Books!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Hardcastle | 166 comments Mod
Thanks everybody for sticking with me and making this a successful discussion group for more than five and a half years. Take a look at the group's bookshelf and tell me your favorite book you read with me, and what you'll take away from this group.

Don't forget to check out Zach's Genre Blending book club that is just starting up. (I'm sure somebody will come along and leave a link in the comments...)

message 2: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Nutting | 21 comments Killers of the Flower Moon, by David Grann
Unfortunately, books like this can destroy your faith in mankind (and the settlers of the Western US).

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments There were many. I agree with Geoffrey, "Killers of the Flower Moon" was great but I would have read that anyway. My favorites were the great books that I would not have read without this club. "Packing for Mars" was one., "Dune" was another.
What I take away are the friendships with the other participants. And really wanting to know what so and so thought about this book or whosit thought about that one. The group usually gave me a better understanding of some of the books. I liked that.

message 4: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Oh gosh, Teresa is totally right -- I loved too many of our books to choose just one. But if I must be choosy, then these three, in order: Ancillary Justice, The Sparrow, and Snow Crash. I read the last one and got hugely into Neal Stephenson (please one of you read Seveneves so we can discuss!), so thank you for that, Kenny. And Packing for Mars, and the book by Aziz Ansari. So many wise, funny, enlightening, thought-provoking books I wouldn't have picked up on my own, and the great friends we have become discussing them and the digital connections you found for each. THANK YOU for starting this group, and may your Naples P.L. group turn out to be as fun & successful.

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
Choosing one book...ha! Thank god we’re adults and can do whatever we want. I got it down to 6 then Lucy reminded me of The Sparrow. So seven. The other six are The Handmaid’s Tale, Hyperbole and a Half, Ancillary Justice, World War Z, Consider the Lobster (that was this group right?!), and Packing for Mars. This group has been and IS awesome, and I’m truly viewing this as an adjustment to the “new” group rather than an end to this one. Here’s to the next 5 years.

message 6: by Z. (new)

Z. F. (zee_eff) I was on vacation when you posted this, so my apologies for leaving you hanging with that link. For those who haven't joined yet, you can find the page for the Genre Blender Book Club here!