Calibre Users discussion

Goodreads plugins not working in Calibre

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deb (new)

Deb | 2 comments This doesn't seem to be such an active group, but hoping someone out there can give some insight.

Just replaced the hard drive on my computer and starting fresh with reloading Calibre and all my books which were on network storage. I previously had a plugin that gave me page count, but have no idea what it was. So I now have a Count Pages plugin that says it will download page count from Goodreads, by way of either the Goodreads or the Goodreads Sync plugins.

So, I've gotten all 3 of the aforementioned plugins, have authorized Calibre in Goodreads, but Calibre is only recognizing Goodreads identifiers from 9 of the 212 books I've loaded. For the rest, it says "Could not analyse some statistics in 1 of 1 books, for reasons shown in details below" and then the reason is "No identifiers for selected download sources".

Any tips on what I can do to get Calibre to identify all of my books in Goodreads? I've refreshed the shelves.

Or any other suggestions on how to get a page count in Calibre? The same plugin has the option to estimate the page count but it's coming out way too high.

Any advice/directions would be appreciated, the simpler the better. I am relatively computer literate, but am not a programmer and the advice over on Mobileread forums tends to be over my head.

Thank you!

message 2: by Christa (last edited Dec 12, 2018 07:24PM) (new)

Christa (cwilliams313) | 2 comments Deb wrote: "This doesn't seem to be such an active group, but hoping someone out there can give some insight.

Just replaced the hard drive on my computer and starting fresh with reloading Calibre and all my b..."

I have found when I want this to work, I have to make sure the book is linked to GR first. So I edit the book and run download metadata to make sure the GR id number is in the ID section for the book. Then I run the GR plug-in and make sure my book is linked to Kindle version (as this is mostly what my books are) and then I run the count page syncing to get the page count from GR.

Other may have another way, but that is the process I use. Hope that helps.

message 3: by Deb (last edited Dec 13, 2018 06:06PM) (new)

Deb | 2 comments Thank you! I could swear I did download the metadata first, but perhaps I didn't. I did that, and am having pretty good success. Of the first 20 or so books I tried, 15 or so worked, while 2 gave me a crazy page count (90,000+ pages) and 2 or 3 more didn't give me anything. Turns out those had extra stuff in the titles (like "Anniversary Edition") and when I edited them to have the correct titles, they seemed to be ok. Downloading the metadata did muck up all my tags (I prefer just to have fiction tagged as fiction, rather than by genre, because then it's all together) but that's easy enough to edit in bulk later. Thanks again - appreciate the help!

message 4: by Christa (new)

Christa (cwilliams313) | 2 comments Deb wrote: "Thank you! I could swear I did download the metadata first, but perhaps I didn't. I did that, and am having pretty good success. Of the first 20 or so books I tried, 15 or so worked, while 2 gave m..."

There is a setting in the preferences under sharing > metadata that you can check to not have the tags download as part of the check.