Play Book Tag discussion

Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
This topic is about Rogue Protocol
December 2018: Geek Reads > Rogue Protocol, by Martha Wells - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy N. (last edited Dec 12, 2018 03:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy N. | 256 comments Murderbot is a rogue construct, originally made for the purposes of providing security for humans, now on the run as a free bot, having hacked his governor so he no longer has to take orders. What did he decide to do with that freedom? Go on a revenge-fueled killing spree? No. He would much rather watch soap operas and avoid interacting with people as much as possible.

In this third installment Murderbot is trying to do a solid for the human that helped him out in the first book, while still resisting the notion that humans are anything but self-serving, annoying, and often downright evil. That notion is challenged when he meets a cheerful pet robot that is treated so well by its humans it uses emojis when talking to him and thinks of humans as its friends. (Excuse him while he pukes. And he doesn't even need to eat).

I didn't want to marry this book like I did the first two, but I'm pretty sure that was my harried mood while reading it, and I'd still go on dates with this one, maybe consider getting engaged if I reread it and it turns out it really was my mood. It's also clearly a lull before the fourth book, in which Murderbot seeks out his... friend?... Dr. Mensah, and hopefully takes down the evil corporation that tried to kill them once and for all.

All four of these volumes have been novellas, but earlier this year the author signed on to write a full-length novel to come out in 2020, and I could not be more excited.

Oh, and, I didn't intend to read this for the geek tag, but come on. Even if robots aren't geeky enough for you, all Murderbot wants to do is watch TV and have opinions about his favorite shows. He is a geek.

Cora (corareading) | 1421 comments Great choice for the theme.

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Amy, I just love your reviews. Such an entertaining description of your feelings. I've never heard of this series before, but you can bet these are going on my TBR now! I love this idea. An old sci-fi concept, revitalized with a humorous twist? Sign me up!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I love your review!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9053 comments First I thought you were talking about me! You may someday come to like my reviews as well. Not everyone does. But then again I’ve always been a love her or hate her kind of person. No one’s ever in the middle. Rarely.

annapi | 5117 comments Ok, another one for the TBR!

Amy N. | 256 comments LiteraryMania wrote: "Amy, I just love your reviews. Such an entertaining description of your feelings. I've never heard of this series before, but you can bet these are going on my TBR now! I love this idea. An old sci..."

Thank you! I sort of try to use this as an opportunity for writing practice, but mostly I just try not to sound like I'm writing a book report. Sometimes I even get as far as writing a review that way and then I realize I made an interesting book sound boring. Which just feels like inviting bad karma, somehow.

And I'm glad you put it on your TBR, you're going to love it.