Beyond Reality discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General - Group Business > Nominations for March 2019

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Dec 19, 2018 05:40PM) (new)

Kathi | 3218 comments Mod
Hi everyone,
Guess what? It's time to open nominations for our March 2019 Books of the Month. Each group member can make 1 science fiction and/or 1 fantasy nomination in this thread. If you would like to make a nomination, please reply to this post with the title and author of the book(s) you would like to put forward for the group’s consideration. A couple of suggestions to keep in mind:

1. Telling us a little about the book and why you think it would be a good group read can help get other members interested in reading (and voting for) your nomination. If possible, please use a link to the book and author in your nomination post. Click on “add book/author" for an easy way to do that.

2. To see if your nomination has already been read by the group, you can check:

a. the group's bookshelf for Previous Books of the Month

and/or

b. these threads:
Master list of Previous Books of the Month 2018 - Present
Master list of Previous Books of the Month (Apr-Dec 2017)
Master list of Previous Books of the Month 2012 - 2017
Master list of Previous Books of the Month 2006 - 2011

Books the group has read in the past 2 years are not eligible for current consideration. Being chosen as a past BotM prior to that time is not an automatic disqualification, but be aware that it may hinder your nomination’s chances at the polls.

General guidelines:
• Feel free to re-nominate a book that didn’t win in the polls in previous months!
• For questions regarding specifics such as book formats, books in series, self-nomination and various rules for nominations, please see the group FAQ.
• Seconding isn't necessary in this group.
• Friendly discussion & debate is strongly encouraged, but let's please keep things civil.

Poll schedule:
• Nominations will remain open through Wednesday, December 19.
• The first (preliminary) round of polls will open Thursday, December 20, and will run through Tuesday, December 25.
• The final run-off polls go up Wednesday, December 26, and will be open through Monday, December 31.

Thanks!
Kathi, Moderator

NOMINATIONS SO FAR:
SCIENCE FICTION:
Borne by Jeff VanderMeer
Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany
The Darwin Elevator by Jason M. Hough
The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin

FANTASY:
Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay
Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
Winter Rose by Patricia A. McKillip

message 2: by Silvana (last edited Dec 12, 2018 05:02PM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Borne for SF since New Weird is weirdly awesome.

Tigana for fantasy since I need additional reason to read this book, it's pretty expensive yet people are raving about it.

message 3: by Joelle.P.S (last edited Dec 12, 2018 05:23PM) (new)

Joelle.P.S | 40 comments Dhalgren for scifi
Shades of Milk and Honey for fantasy

message 4: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2240 comments Mod
Silvana wrote: "Borne for SF since New Weird is weirdly awesome.

Tigana for fantasy since I need additional reason to read this book, it's pretty expensive yet people are raving abou..."

Ahhh Tigana is just about my favorite book ever so I'll vote that one ;)

SF I'll nominate The Darwin Elevator, which I've nominated before and seemed to get some interest, though it hasn't won yet. I've had it sitting on my shelf forever.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 470 comments Fantasy: Winter Rose by Patricia A. McKillip The Good Folk are up to no good, in her enchanting prose.

SF: The Dragons of Dorcastle by Jack Campbell Adventure on a colony world where they have forgotten Earth. . . the fantasy label comes from some things the charcters don't understand.

message 6: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Whoops! I accidentally deleted Jeffrey's post, so here it is:
Fantasy: Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman Goodreads blurb,
...Gaiman fashions primeval stories into a novelistic arc that begins with the genesis of the legendary nine worlds; delves into the exploits of the deities, dwarves, and giants; and culminates in Ragnarok, the twilight of the gods and the rebirth of a new time and people.

SF: The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin Hardcore science fiction from China

message 7: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Jeffrey wrote: "Fantasy: Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman Goodreads blurb,
...Gaiman fashions primeval stories into a novelistic arc that begins with the genesis of the legendary ni..."

Jeffrey, The Three-Body Problem was Book of the Month several years ago (2015), so it is eligible to be nominated. Since a number of members may have read it back then, it may not receive as many votes, but then again, many members may not have read it. I have added it to the list but just wanted to make you aware. Thanks!

message 8: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Dec 13, 2018 09:56AM) (new)

Mary wrote: "Fantasy: Winter Rose by Patricia A. McKillip The Good Folk are up to no good, in her enchanting prose.

SF: The Dragons of Dorcastle by [author:Jack Campbel..."

Mary, it is our policy to categorize books according to how the majority of readers at Goodreads have shelved them. The Dragons of Dorcastle is shelved by more readers as Fantasy. In addition, Amazon describes it as Fantasy. Since you nominated Winter Rose for Fantasy, you will need to decide which of these books will be your Fantasy nomination. Then you can nominate something else for Science Fiction. Thanks!

message 9: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (jwhitsitt) Kathi wrote: "Jeffrey wrote: "The Three-Body Problem was Book of the Month several years ago (2015) ..."

Thanks, I looked on previous read bookshelf, but must have missed it.

message 10: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Reminder—nominations close Wednesday at midnight!

message 11: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Mary wrote: "Fantasy: Winter Rose by Patricia A. McKillip The Good Folk are up to no good, in her enchanting prose."

Mary, I will add this to the list of nominated books for Fantasy. As stated above, The Dragons of Dorcastle is shelved as Fantasy, so it does not qualify as a SF nomination, and each member of Beyond Reality can only nominate one book per category per month. You may want to nominate this next month for Fantasy.

message 12: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Only a few more hours to get your nominations in. Polls will go up tomorrow!

message 13: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Preliminary (first round) polls are up! Let's vote!

Science Fiction: Preliminary SF Poll

Fantasy: Preliminary Fantasy Poll

message 14: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Final polls are open to choose our Books of the Month for March 2019. Please vote!

Fantasy: Fantasy Final Poll

Science Fiction: Science Fiction Final Poll

message 15: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Last day to vote!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.