Mount TBR 2019 discussion

Level 2: Mount Blanc (24 books) > GrandmommyD's Project

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments The stash of books I own grows far faster than I read them, so I am in desperate need of motivation to read what I have, and unless it is a very special book, then pass it on to another home. I will start at this level with 24 books. I know I will read many more books than that in 2019 . . . but I have a weakness for the local library so I know it will slow me down on my TBR pile. :-) I don't know how to join the challenge from the Reader's Block page bc I don't have a blog to link. And I am rather computer-challenged.

message 2: by Bev (new)

Bev | 702 comments Mod
GrandmommyD: We're happy to have you join us here. Both groups are great--and some folks are in both places. :-) Hope you have fun!

message 3: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Hoping this group helps you find your motivation!

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments Book 1 - 1/10 - Twelve Dancing Princesses by Ellen Miles -
I really want to tackle that TBR stack, but I can't stay away from the public library. It is my undoing! Anyway, I wanted to mark something off on the TBR pile so I chose a short one. I feel much better now that it is checked off. :-) Several years ago, my adult daughter discovered that I was not familiar with this story. She was shocked. Then we found a copy at a discount book store and she made me buy it. That was more than a year ago (2 years?), and I finally read it. It was a nice fairy tale, and now my daughter no longer need worry about my cultural upbringing. I will pass my copy on to one of the grandchildren, so a tiny spot is now open on my bookshelf.

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments Book 2 - 1/20 - Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone by J.K. Rowling - I've rebelled against reading this, but my oldest grandson is getting this book for his 11th birthday next month, so I figured I should be conversant in HP. This is not my genre of choice, but the writing is good and I hear it gets better as the series progresses.

message 6: by Margaret (last edited Jan 31, 2019 03:03PM) (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments Book 3 - 1/20 - Pompeii by Robert Harris - I picked this up at a used book sale last year. It was well-researched and well-written as any historical fiction should be. Being the ancient Roman world there was some immorality, but it was not front and center.
Edit on Jan 31 - Was in southern California last week and visited the Ronald Reagan library. The traveling exhibit at the time was on Pompeii . . . very timely as I'd just read this book. Very fun.

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments Book 4 - 1/21 - Hatchet by Gary Paulsen - I have a stack of books to preview before giving them to grandchildren. This was one. Great story except for the fact that the main character is haunted by thoughts and dreams of his parents' recent divorce. My grandblessings don't need to read about that. But the rest of the story was really good. A 13-year old young man is stranded alone in the Canadian wilderness after surviving a plane crash. He has to call on all his knowledge and experience to survive for almost two months before he is rescued.

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 5 - The Songs of the Humpback Whale by Jodi Picoult - This was Picoult's first book. Not my favorite, but it does have her distinctive style of telling the story from multiple viewpoints, five different voices in this one. It just moves very slowly and did not end with that unexpected twist as so many of Picoult's later books. I gave it three stars.

message 9: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 6 - Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo - I remember enjoying this movie with my kids when they were young, but I'd never read the book before. It was fun.

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 7 - The Voyage of Patience Goodspeed by Heather Vogel Frederick - This was a fun kids' chapter book. I like the writing style and the story was a nice adventure with a female main character. It reminded me of Carry On, Mr. Bowditch, but was not as detailed about the workings of a ship. It was informative about whaling though.

message 11: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 8 - Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott - I was somewhat disappointed in this book. Last year I read an Alcott that was aimed at an older audience and it was delightful. This one was very simplistic in the storyline as well as the language. I'm glad I read it, but it will not be on my favorites list.

message 12: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 9 - Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult - I am a Picoult fan and I think this is one of my favorites. It is one of her earlier books so lacks some of the typical plot twists . . . but it was a good story highlighting the ways we are shaped by our parents, the lies we tell ourselves, and our understanding of what marriage means.

message 13: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 10 - Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult - This one was hard to read because the language was really rough, but I am working my way through all of Picoult's books so I stuck it out. I liked the story; I think the language could have been left out. There are ways to show hurt and anger without it. There was one of Picoult's famous twists at the end. As I read the book I had three different scenarios in my mind that I thought might contribute to her twist and this was one of them. I found it easy to empathize with several of the characters; I've never been in their exact situations, but I could feel the horror and trauma they lived. She keeps you wondering throughout the story about just who is the victim and who is the perpetrator. Or maybe multiple crimes have been committed. I recommend it . . . with a big caveat about the language. Be forewarned.

message 14: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 11 - The Great Kettles: A Tale of Time by Dean Morrissey - Lovely illustrations! But I wasn't that impressed with the story. Will donate this one to the local library.

message 15: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 12 - Frodo and Harry by Ted Baehr - This has been on my shelf for years. It is an analysis of the worldview conveyed in the Harry Potter stories and the Lord of the Rings series. It was an interesting contrast and gave me lots to think about in analyzing the pros and cons of each. Since I'm not a big fantasy fan, I don't think I give enough thought to this normally.

message 16: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 13 - Second Glance by Jodi Picoult - Cleared another Picoult off my reading list. It's hard to say what the real message of this one was. It involved paranormal activity (ghosts), eugenics (an actual historical project in Vermont in the 1930's) and modern-day genetic engineering. I'm glad she made the connections between eugenics and modern reproductive engineering. It is easy to be aghast at the former, but not see the similarities in the latter.

message 17: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 14 - Beyond All Dreams by Elizabeth Camden - I don't remember what first caught my attention on this book, but it's been here a while. It has several things I like in fiction - a strong female character, based around actual historical facts, strong biblical message of grace and forgiveness, and a bit of political conspiracy thrown in to add some tension. It was a fun read.

message 18: by Margaret (last edited Mar 28, 2019 10:57AM) (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 15 - One-Eyed Cat by Paul Fox -
One-Eyed Cat by Paula Fox

message 19: by Margaret (last edited Apr 20, 2019 05:09PM) (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 16 - When I'm Gone by Emily Bleeker
When I'm Gone by Emily Bleeker

message 20: by Margaret (last edited Apr 20, 2019 05:09PM) (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 17 - The Pact by Jodi Picoult
The Pact by Jodi Picoult

message 21: by Margaret (last edited Apr 20, 2019 05:10PM) (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 18 - Gift From the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Gift From the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

message 22: by Margaret (last edited Apr 20, 2019 05:11PM) (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 19 - Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult and I have now read all of her books.
Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult

message 23: by Margaret (last edited Apr 20, 2019 05:11PM) (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 20 - Emily's Runaway Imagination by Beverly Cleary
Emily's Runaway Imagination by Beverly Cleary

message 24: by Margaret (last edited Apr 20, 2019 05:12PM) (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 21 - Essential Oils of the Bible: Connecting God's Word to Natural Healing by Randi Minetor
Essential Oils of the Bible Connecting God's Word to Natural Healing by Randi Minetor

message 25: by Margaret (last edited Apr 20, 2019 05:12PM) (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 22 - Misty of Chincoteague by Margueritte Henry
Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1) by Marguerite Henry

message 26: by Margaret (last edited Apr 20, 2019 05:13PM) (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 23 - Rabbit Lawson by Robery Lawson
Rabbit Hill by Robert Lawson

message 27: by Margaret (last edited Apr 20, 2019 05:13PM) (new)

Margaret (grandmommyd) | 78 comments book 24 - The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare
The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare

and the peak of Mt. Blanc!! That went so smoothly, I'm jumping in to the race to Mt. Ararat.

message 28: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Nice job!

message 29: by Bev (new)

Bev | 702 comments Mod
You did great with this mountain!

Image result for flag on the mountain top