Play Book Tag discussion

William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #4)
This topic is about William Shakespeare's Star Wars
December 2018: Geek Reads > William Shakespeare's Star Wars - Doesche - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (last edited Dec 12, 2018 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jgrace | 2943 comments William Shakespeare’s Star Wars:Verily a New Hope- Doesche
Audio performance - multiple readers
3.5 stars

This was a lot of fun. Geek, nerd, fan fiction; this checked all the boxes. The author’s notes refer to Joseph Campbell’s The Hero with a Thousand Faces, the universal themes of Shakespeare’s tragedies, the dynamics of iambic pentameter, and the overall geekiness of combining these things with the Lucas’ sagas. It makes perfect geeky sense. And it was funny.

I liked the audio production. The text is actually a script. It should be read aloud. I really loved the R2D2 sound effects that were given Shakespearean asides. Most of the voice artists were clearly imitating the movie actors. I’m not sure if that was the best way to go. For me, it was more effective and funnier when the lines were read as if they were actually a serious Shakespearean text.

Still, I enjoyed the silliness of it. It made me want to watch the original three Star Wars Movies. After that Shakespeare in Love and The Reduced Shakespeare Company, followed by a day at a Renaissance Fair. Geek heaven.

message 2: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments Ooh, I bet these would be amazing to listen to. Was it full cast?

Jgrace | 2943 comments Amy N. wrote: "Ooh, I bet these would be amazing to listen to. Was it full cast?"

It was not the original movie cast, if that's what you mean. There did seem to be a different performer for each major role.

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Thanks for the review Jgrace! I liked the idea of Shakespearean Star Wars, but I wasn't entirely sure I'd make that much of an effort to track them down, until now. You won me over with "the R2D2 sound effects that were given Shakespearean asides."