Reading Through the Ages discussion

Time travel

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Dec 14, 2018 12:07AM) (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
For Time Travel anything counts that involves going back into the past or repeating the past. Time Slip, Time Travel, whatever you call it, if it has a historical setting, you are good to go.

Find some examples in the Time Travel book shelf (link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...).

Tell us below, what you will be choosing. Have you read anything in the past (pardon the pun) that you want to share? Any suggestions welcome and we will add them to the bookshelf.

message 2: by Nisreen (new)

Nisreen | 7 comments The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August is a brilliant example of literary historical time travel fiction

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Nisreen wrote: "The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August is a brilliant example of literary historical time travel fiction"

Oh, I have never even heard of that. Exciting. Added it to the bookshelf.

message 4: by Nisreen (new)

Nisreen | 7 comments Melanie wrote: "Nisreen wrote: "The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August is a brilliant example of literary historical time travel fiction"

Oh, I have never even heard of that. Exciting. Added it t..."

It is brilliant page turner that is a thriller, a Sci fi and philosophical contemplation on the essence of the human experience. Clair North is a genius

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments I have this book, I couldn't get into it, but I may try it again.

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (Eve's Alexandria) | 26 comments Mod
Nisreen wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Nisreen wrote: "The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August is a brilliant example of literary historical time travel fiction"

Oh, I have never even heard of that. Exci..."

I have this on my shelves I think, along with several other Claire North books. She's one of those writers who seems to publish something every year. :)

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate Howe | 9 comments I think I’ll be reading The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley. It involves time travel back to the early 1700s.

message 8: by Kristin (new)

Kristin To keep track of what I want to read for this challenge I added a shelf to my books titled "reading through the ages". I am adding books from all of your recommendations and other books I plan to read.

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin (catdancer76) | 6 comments I also have this book and did not like it, which really surprised me because it sounds right up my alley. But I still think it is a good choice for this "era".

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (catdancer76) | 6 comments I am speaking of the First Fifteen Lives of... book. Don't know how to edit my comments on here and that was not clear.

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin (catdancer76) | 6 comments Of course, my favorite time travel book is 11/22/63 by Stephen King, but it actually could count in either category of time travel or alternate history.

Shaun  (Lost in Books, Film, and Floss) | 5 comments The Chronicles of St. Mary's series by Jodi Taylor would work for this prompt.

message 13: by Marina (new)

Marina | 10 comments According to the blurb of Laurus by Evgenij Vodolazkin the main character will be going on a journey that "spans ages and countries". I'd just started it before joining the group and I'm happy to see that it suits this prompt perfectly.

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Shaun (Eclectic Reads) wrote: "The Chronicles of St. Mary's series by Jodi Taylor would work for this prompt."

Definitely would :)

message 15: by Melanie (new)

Marina wrote: "According to the blurb of Laurus by Evgenij Vodolazkin the main character will be going on a journey that "spans ages and countries". I'd just started it before joi..."

Oh interesting. Work in translation too :)

message 16: by Navi (new)

Navi (nvsahota) My pick for this is The Incarnations!

message 17: by Melanie (new)

Navi wrote: "My pick for this is The Incarnations!"

Good choice

message 18: by Molly (new)

Molly | 3 comments Kate wrote: "I think I’ll be reading The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley. It involves time travel back to the early 1700s."

I'll be reading this too! I've heard really good things about her books.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lavelle | 13 comments I've started to read 'Sleeper's Castle' by Barbara Erskine for this challenge. I picked it up a while ago because part of it is set in Hay-on-Wye, but I've been putting off reading it for some reason. This challenge has prompted me to finally get round to it and 6 chapters in, I am enjoying it xx

message 20: by Melanie (new)

Amanda wrote: "I've started to read 'Sleeper's Castle' by Barbara Erskine for this challenge. I picked it up a while ago because part of it is set in Hay-on-Wye, but I've been putting off reading it for some reas..."

I am picking up a Erskine novel as well :)

message 21: by Britta (new)

Britta Böhler I would recommend Hazards of Time Travel by Joyce Carol Oates. I know I'm sounding like an old record, but I absolutey loved this book.
And two more suggestions: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier.

message 22: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) Shaun (Eclectic Reads) wrote: "The Chronicles of St. Mary's series by Jodi Taylor would work for this prompt."

Those are great books!

message 23: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) I have The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley on audiobook. I've started it several times but never finished it. I keep trying because people compare her to Mary Stewart, one of my favourite authors, so I'm going to give this one another go. It has a time travel element to it.

message 24: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lavelle | 13 comments Just a quick update- I've finished Sleeper's castle by Barbara Erskine and overall I really enjoyed it. I did find one element of the plot involving the ex wife a little over done. But considering I'm not a huge fan of time travelling novels (I'm not sure my mother has ever forgiven my lukewarm reception of one of her favourite books, The time travellers wife) I think 4 stars is quite impressive from me. If you get a kick out of ancient Welsh history, this might just float your boat xx

message 25: by Melanie (new)

Amanda wrote: "Just a quick update- I've finished Sleeper's castle by Barbara Erskine and overall I really enjoyed it. I did find one element of the plot involving the ex wife a little over done. But considering ..."

Thanks for the update :)

message 27: by peg (new)

peg I just finished HAZARDS OF TIME TRAVEL which I see Britta already recommended. Joyce Carol Oates has always been a favorite of mine and I love the way she handled 2 different time periods (near future and 1960’s in the US Midwest) and the great characterization of how the young woman narrator reacted to the changes....a strong 4 star read for me!

message 28: by Marina (new)

Marina | 10 comments Marina wrote: "According to the blurb of Laurus by Evgenij Vodolazkin the main character will be going on a journey that "spans ages and countries". I'd just started it before joi..."

So much for blurbs! There was a journey here, but it certainly didn't span ages. Although there was a character who had visions of events in the future. I guess I shall have to count this as one of my wild cards.

message 29: by Melanie (new)

Sounds great Peg :)

message 30: by Britta (new)

Britta Böhler peg wrote: "I just finished HAZARDS OF TIME TRAVEL which I see Britta already recommended. Joyce Carol Oates has always been a favorite of mine and I love the way she handled 2 different time periods (near fut..."

I'm so very happy to hear that!

Tanya Willis Anderson (thesamplergirl) I plan to read THE HAZARDS OF TIME TRAVEL by Joyce Carol Oates for this square.

message 32: by Melanie (new)

Tanya wrote: "I plan to read THE HAZARDS OF TIME TRAVEL by Joyce Carol Oates for this square."

Britta will be very happy with all of you :)

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura (ooksaidthelibrarian) | 7 comments Sue wrote: "I have The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley on audiobook. I've started it several times but never finished it. I keep trying because people compare her to Mary Stewart..."

I have just finished this for this part of the challenge. I really enjoyed this, although I am not sure I learned too much about the historical period featured in the book!

message 34: by Layla (new)

Layla | 3 comments I'm thinking of re-reading 11.22.63 by Stephen King

This story uses time travel as a plot device to get the protagonist back to 1960's America so he can attempt to stop the assassination of JKF. With time travel not being an exact science, he arrives a few years earlier and has to make a life for himself until November '63 comes around.

This book has lots of period detail about American life in the early 60s, and a fairly detailed study of Lee Harvey Oswald during the years leading up to that irrevocable event.

message 35: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) Layla wrote: "I'm thinking of re-reading 11.22.63 by Stephen King

This story uses time travel as a plot device to get the protagonist back to 1960's America so he can attempt to st..."

I really enjoyed this book, too!

message 36: by Melanie (new)

Layla wrote: "I'm thinking of re-reading 11.22.63 by Stephen King

This story uses time travel as a plot device to get the protagonist back to 1960's America so he can attempt to st..."

Great choice, I keep meaning to pick this up.

message 37: by Melanie (new)

Dee ~ Funny Cat Reading wrote: "'Footsteps in Time' is wonderful. I love the history, I love the story, and Sarah Woodbury, is a fantastic writer."

Never heard of this one. Shall go an investigate.

message 38: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) Laura wrote: "I have just finished this for this part of the challenge. I really enjoyed this, although I am not sure I learned too much about the historical period featured in the book!
..."

I finally finished it too! I really enjoyed it and would read more by Susanna Kearsley. It was definitely the voice of the narrator that had been putting me off. I've had the audiobook for years and started it several times but never got very far. I got a paper copy from the library and once I was reading it as a paper version it felt like a different book altogether. I agree there wasn't a huge amount about the historical period though.