Reading Through the Ages discussion

Medieval Middle East

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Dec 14, 2018 12:57AM) (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Medieval Middle East by which we mean the period in the Middle East that equates to the European Middle Ages. So from about 500 - 1500 AD. A fascinating time for sure, rise of Islam, Holy Wars, a time when myths were created.

For inspiration check the book list (link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...)

Please tell us what you are reading and if you have any suggestions, then please tell us below.

message 2: by Nisreen (new)

Nisreen | 7 comments Alamut is a brilliant novel set in 11th Century Persia that traces the emergence of the Ismaili sect and their infamous Assassins

message 3: by Nisreen (new)

Nisreen | 7 comments Just medieval ME? I'd suggest adding a thread for colonial and modern ME.

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Nisreen wrote: "Just medieval ME? I'd suggest adding a thread for colonial and modern ME."

For this year only that, but we hope for next year to have different eras and different challenges. But you can always read that as your wildcard pick and suggest the books in the Wild Card thread?

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Nisreen wrote: "Alamut is a brilliant novel set in 11th Century Persia that traces the emergence of the Ismaili sect and their infamous Assassins"

Added that book the shelf, goodness that sounds like my cup of tea.

message 6: by Nisreen (new)

Nisreen | 7 comments Melanie wrote: "Nisreen wrote: "Just medieval ME? I'd suggest adding a thread for colonial and modern ME."

For this year only that, but we hope for next year to have different eras and different challenges. But y..."

Great! I'll add them to the Wilde Card thread as I have few brilliant books I am eager for other people to discover

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Nisreen wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Nisreen wrote: "Just medieval ME? I'd suggest adding a thread for colonial and modern ME."

For this year only that, but we hope for next year to have different eras and different c..."

Excellent :)

message 8: by Biblio (new)

Biblio Curious (bibliocurious) | 2 comments Shahnameh: The Persian Book of Kings is quite a time commitment but it covers the history of the Persian empire ... starting with the creation of the cosmos and ending with Alexander the Great on their doorstep.

The Conference of the Birds is a mystical poem finished in 1177. It's absolutely beautiful if you enjoy parables, beautiful writing and journeys embarked on by birds. It's quite approachable for newbies to poetry.

Gosh, there's so many more to add! I'll add more as they come to my mind. 😃

message 9: by Nic (new)

Nic (bibliolicious_reads) | 24 comments I've ordered a copy of Alamut - thanks for the recommendation!

My own choice for this category will be Samarkand by Amin Maalouf.

message 10: by Nisreen (last edited Jan 05, 2019 01:17PM) (new)

Nisreen | 7 comments Nic wrote: "I've ordered a copy of Alamut - thanks for the recommendation!

My own choice for this category will be Samarkand by Amin Maalouf."

I am planning on reading Samarkand for this category in addition to re-reading Alamut in English as my first reading was in Arabic. I really hope you'd enjoy it.

message 11: by Melanie (new)

Nic wrote: "I've ordered a copy of Alamut - thanks for the recommendation!

Nisreen wrote: "Nic wrote: "I've ordered a copy of Alamut - thanks for the recommendation!

I am planning on reading Samarkand for this categor..."

Excellent seeing what everyone is picking up.

message 12: by Regina (new)

Regina Lemoine I am trying to read books I already own this year, so I am planning on My Name Is Red for this prompt. It’s set in 1591, so close enough!

message 13: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) My TBR is about to burst! Thanks, everyone. I'm wondering about the new book by G Willow Wilson coming out this spring, The Bird King. Geographically it is set in Muslim Spain, but it is set during the Inquisition. I'll get to hear her talk about this book at the end of the month at the Midwinter library conference in Seattle and I have enjoyed her other work. It's a publishers event, so I'm hoping to score an ARC of this one.

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Karen Michele wrote: "My TBR is about to burst! Thanks, everyone. I'm wondering about the new book by G Willow Wilson coming out this spring, The Bird King. Geographically it is set in ..."

Interesting take on the prompt, but if you feel that's what you want to read, then go for it. Good luck on the Arc

message 15: by Karen Michele (last edited Jan 11, 2019 03:48AM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) I'll probably use it as a wildcard instead since I have lots of other possibilities for this task that definitely fit the prompt.

message 16: by Areta (new)

Areta Bohacz may | 7 comments I am guessing this one is too far off since it is 17th century? Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani?
In 17th-century Persia, a 14-year-old woman believes she will be married within the year. When her beloved father dies, she and her mother find themselves alone and without a dowry. With nowhere else to go, they are forced to sell the brilliant turquoise rug the young woman has woven to pay for their journey to Isfahan, where they will work as servants for her uncle, a rich rug designer in the court of the legendary Shah Abbas the Great.
Despite her lowly station, the young woman blossoms as a brilliant designer of carpets, a rarity in a craft dominated by men. But while her talent flourishes, her prospects for a happy marriage grow dim. Forced into a secret marriage to a wealthy man, the young woman finds herself faced with a daunting decision: forsake her own dignity, or risk everything she has in an effort to create a new life.

message 17: by Areta (new)

Areta Bohacz may | 7 comments This might be a better fit? Equal of the Sun
Iran in 1576 is a place of peace, wealth, and dazzling beauty. But when the Shah dies without having named an heir, the court is thrown into tumult. Princess Pari, the Shah's daughter and closest adviser, knows more about the inner workings of the state than almost anyone, but the princess's maneuvers to instill order after her father's sudden death incite resentment and dissent. Pari and her trusted servant, a eunuch able to navigate the harem as well as the world beyond the palace walls, are in possession of an incredible tapestry of secrets and information that reveals a power struggle of epic proportions.

Based loosely on the life of Princess Pari Khan Khanoom, Equal of the Sun is a riveting story of political intrigue and a moving portrait of an unlikely friendship between a princess and a eunuch. Anita Amirrezvani is a master storyteller, and in her lustrous prose this rich and labyrinthine world comes to vivid life with a stunning cast of characters, passionate and brave men and women who defy or embrace their destiny in a Machiavellian game played by those who lust for power and will do anything to attain it.

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Areta wrote: "I am guessing this one is too far off since it is 17th century? Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani?
In 17th-century Persia, a 14-year-old woman believes she will be married within the year. When..."

Read it and count it if that's what you want to read :)

message 19: by Melanie (new)

Areta wrote: "This might be a better fit? Equal of the Sun
Iran in 1576 is a place of peace, wealth, and dazzling beauty. But when the Shah dies without having named an heir, the court is thrown into tumult. Pri..."

This one sounds good, too. I would always say: Rather read a book that only loosely fits the prompt but is something you want to read, it is at your discretion :)

message 20: by Areta (new)

Areta Bohacz may | 7 comments I’m going to find one that fits the prompt better. 😎

message 21: by Melanie (new)

Areta wrote: "I’m going to find one that fits the prompt better. 😎"

:)

message 22: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valroos) Just came across this book which I think I will read for this prompt: Mathias Enard's Tell Them of Battles, Kings, and Elephants (it is translated from French)

message 23: by Christelle (new)

Christelle | 2 comments Valerie wrote: "Just came across this book which I think I will read for this prompt: Mathias Enard's Tell Them of Battles, Kings, and Elephants (it is translated from French)" I read this book a few years ago and really enjoyed it - beautifully written in my opinion. (Read it in the original language)

message 24: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valroos) Valerie wrote: "Just came across this book which I think I will read for this prompt: Mathias Enard's Tell Them of Battles, Kings, and Elephants (it is translated from French)"

Hi Christelle, great to hear that you enjoyed the book. Now I am even more keen to read it!

message 25: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I just started The Lover by Laury Silvers for this prompt. It is a mystery taking place in medieval Baghdad. The writing suffers a bit compared to some other books I've read recently, but the story and characters are very engaging and I'm looking forward to getting into it.