Reading Through the Ages discussion

Ancient Egypt

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Dec 14, 2018 01:03AM) (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
There is no doubt that the sight of pyramids and the art of the Ancient Egyptians has inspired and intrigued for centuries. Historical Fiction set in Ancient Egypt allows us to meet a fictional imagining of what it may have been like to live at that time.

Find some inspiration on the bookshelf (link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...)

Share what you are reading, planning to read or what you would highly recommend.

message 2: by Marina (new)

Marina | 10 comments If you like historical mysteries you might want to check out Agatha Christie's Death Comes as the End. It's been a favourite of mine for a long time, and I suspect the setting has a lot to do with it.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Marina wrote: "If you like historical mysteries you might want to check out Agatha Christie's Death Comes as the End. It's been a favourite of mine for a long time, and I suspect the setting has a l..."

Oh interesting take on the challenge, so instead of reading a book set in Ancient Egypt, reading a book that deals with Ancient Egyptian artefacts. Interesting.

message 4: by Marina (new)

Marina | 10 comments Melanie wrote: "Marina wrote: "If you like historical mysteries you might want to check out Agatha Christie's Death Comes as the End. It's been a favourite of mine for a long time, and I suspect the ..."

Actually it is set in Ancient Egypt. I think it's her only historical mystery and it is wonderful.

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Marina wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Marina wrote: "If you like historical mysteries you might want to check out Agatha Christie's Death Comes as the End. It's been a favourite of mine for a long time, an..."

How amazing, I never even heard of it. Have added it to the bookshelf. Thank you.

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillglove) | 10 comments I’m sure an there is an Elizabeth Peters mystery that could apply to this bookshelf.

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (Eve's Alexandria) | 26 comments Mod
Melanie wrote: "Marina wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Marina wrote: "If you like historical mysteries you might want to check out Agatha Christie's Death Comes as the End. It's been a favourite of mine for ..."

Ooh I've never heard of it either! Definitely interested in checking that one out.

message 8: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (Eve's Alexandria) | 26 comments Mod
Jill wrote: "I’m sure an there is an Elizabeth Peters mystery that could apply to this bookshelf."

Are you thinking of the Amelia Peabody series? Or did she write books that were set in Ancient Egypt too?

Shaun  (Lost in Books, Film, and Floss) | 5 comments Thinking I might finally try the Ramses series by Christian Jacq.

Ramses The Son of Light (Ramses #1) by Christian Jacq

message 10: by Melanie (new)

Shaun (Eclectic Reads) wrote: "Thinking I might finally try the Ramses series by Christian Jacq.

Ramses The Son of Light (Ramses #1) by Christian Jacq"

Oooh, I never thought about that.

message 11: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillglove) | 10 comments Victoria wrote: "Jill wrote: "I’m sure an there is an Elizabeth Peters mystery that could apply to this bookshelf."

Are you thinking of the Amelia Peabody series? Or did she write books that were set in Ancient Eg..."

Yes.

message 12: by Christelle (new)

Christelle | 2 comments This Bingo card will be the perfect incentive for me to tackle Naguib Mahfouz: Three Novels of Ancient Egypt - it has been on my shelf for ages.

message 13: by Melanie (new)

Christelle wrote: "This Bingo card will be the perfect incentive for me to tackle Naguib Mahfouz: Three Novels of Ancient Egypt - it has been on my shelf for ages."

Excellent, added them to the shelf.

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lavelle | 13 comments Well in the spirit of my New Years resolution to use my kindle unlimited subscription instead of buying even more books, I've managed to find a book called The Missing Princess of Egypt by Paula Sunsong. It's apparently a time travelling romance adventure so I guess you could use it for the time travelling as well. I have no idea if it's going to be any good or not, but I think that's what I'm going to have a crack at first xx

message 15: by Melanie (new)

Amanda wrote: "Well in the spirit of my New Years resolution to use my kindle unlimited subscription instead of buying even more books, I've managed to find a book called The Missing Princess of Egypt by Paula Su..."

Always worth giving it a go, shall be watching what you make of it.

nettebuecherkiste (idril) | 5 comments I'm only just starting choosing books for the prompts, but I immediately knew what I was going to read for this: The Egyptian I've had this on my shelf for years. German historical fiction queen Tanja Kinkel lists it as one of her early influences.

message 17: by Melanie (new)

nettebuecherkiste wrote: "I'm only just starting choosing books for the prompts, but I immediately knew what I was going to read for this: The Egyptian I've had this on my shelf for years. German historical ..."

Oh, very cool

message 18: by Laura (last edited Jan 11, 2019 02:04PM) (new)

Laura (ooksaidthelibrarian) | 7 comments Egyptian Woman: A year in the life of a woman during the reign of Ramesses II

I am reading this book for the challenge (it's on Kindle Unlimited and I am trying not to buy any new books). I am finding it very interesting. The author is an academic who usually writes non-fiction books about Ancient Egypt. This book simply follows the everyday life of a middle-class woman so it hasn't got a big dramatic plot, but I am enjoying it so far. It is apparently historically very accurate.

P.S. I have just finished this so thought I would add a P.S. I thoroughly enjoyed this and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in what life was like for women during this period. The downside is it resulted in me adding a ton of non-fiction books about Ancient Eqypt to my towering TBR pile!

message 19: by Kristin (new)

Kristin I just started The Egyptian by Mika Waltari. Interesting so far. It is somewhat on the dramatic side in tone and written in the 1940's so I suspect it will take me some time to finish.

message 20: by Kristin (new)

Kristin About 20% into The Egyptian. It is quite fascinating so far. I already have learned a lot about the ancient Egyptian culture through the eyes is an Egyptian doctor.

message 21: by Maegan (new)

Maegan (themaecave) I recently read a cozy mystery set in Ancient Egypt; Murder in the Place of Anubis by Lynda S. Robinson. It is the first in a six book series, so hopefully this challenge will make me read the next book. There is also a mystery series set in Ancient Egypt that I am interested in but haven't read; The Mask of Ra by Paul Doherty.

message 22: by Melanie (new)

Kristin wrote: "About 20% into The Egyptian. It is quite fascinating so far. I already have learned a lot about the ancient Egyptian culture through the eyes is an Egyptian doctor."

That sounds really good, yes, those mid-century historical fiction books can be slow and deliberate, but often they are well-worth the effort.

message 23: by Melanie (new)

Maegan wrote: "I recently read a cozy mystery set in Ancient Egypt; Murder in the Place of Anubis by Lynda S. Robinson. It is the first in a six book series, so hopefully this challenge will make me read the next..."

Have added that mystery to the bookshelf, thank you for that.

message 24: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (bonnie_poole) | 32 comments I’m trying to decide amongst many interesting Ancient Egyptian stories. So far, it’s between King Tutankhamun and Nefertiti. When I was young, King Tut came to LACMA, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, in California and I got to see the incredibly fascinating exhibit. He came back decades later, last year in 2018. Three interesting book choices are:

KING TUTANKHAMUN, JOURNEY THROUGH THE WORLD, by Sandro Vannini was published in 2018 by Taschen. This is a beautiful Non Fiction book, more of a big art book which includes gorgeous art work and photography. It’s rather intriguing how popular King Tut still is and how much he has traveled in his after life.

THE MURDER OF KING TUT by James Patterson and Martin Dugard is considered “a True Crime Tale” and seems a bit like Historical Fiction. Remember all the mysterious things that happened when Howard Carter dug up King Tut too.

NEFERTITI, A Novel by Michelle Moran also sounds intriguing. There is an excellent narration by Cassandra Campbell on Audible too.

There are all the great books everyone suggested here to consider too. Reading Through the Ages is expanding my tbr in a most awesome way!

message 25: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (bonnie_poole) | 32 comments I should have checked more reviews before writing my suggestions as The Murder of King Tut by James Patterson has gotten some rather poor reviews on Goodreads, and so did the Nefertiti book. Perhaps if anyone has any good book suggestions for King Tut or Nefertiti too, do let me know. The search continues.... I will consider the Agatha Christie book!

message 26: by Melanie (new)

Bonnie wrote: "I should have checked more reviews before writing my suggestions as The Murder of King Tut by James Patterson has gotten some rather poor reviews on Goodreads, and so did the Nefertiti book. Perhap..."

Good luck, I am struggling with this era myself. Always have.

message 27: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (bonnie_poole) | 32 comments So far I read the Agatha Christie book, DEATH ON THE NILE, which was great. I like Agatha Christie books a lot. But it felt more like a murder Mystery kinda book than Historical Fiction. I still want to read something else for this prompt too. I was wondering if a book about Cleopatra might work?

message 28: by Melanie (new)

Bonnie wrote: "So far I read the Agatha Christie book, DEATH ON THE NILE, which was great. I like Agatha Christie books a lot. But it felt more like a murder Mystery kinda book than Historical Fiction. I still wa..."

Absolutely, Cleopatra is probably the most famous personality of Ancient Egypt.

message 29: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle | 2 comments There is also the book "Death Comes as the End" murder mystery by Agatha Christie which takes place 2000 BC in ancient Egypt.

message 30: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (bonnie_poole) | 32 comments Thank you for the other Agatha Christie Book suggestion Isabelle. I will add it to my tbr.

I’m still looking for H.F. about Cleopatra if anyone has any suggestions.

Would this book, LILY OF THE NILE, The Cleopatra’s Daughter Trilogy, by Stephanie Dray qualify for the Ancient Egyptian prompt? Here is the info... Thank you!

Publisher's Summary:
The extraordinary daughter of Cleopatra and Mark Anthony seeks to reclaim her birthright in the first novel of an epic historical fiction trilogy from the New York Times best-selling author of America's First Daughter.
With both of her parents dead, Princess Selene and her two surviving brothers are left at the mercy of their captors, taken from Egypt and put on display as war trophies in Rome. Trapped in an empire that reviles her heritage and suspects her faith, Selene struggles for survival in a court of intrigue. She can't hide the hieroglyphics that carve themselves into her hands nor can she stop the emperor from using her powers for his own ends.
Faced with a new and ruthless Caesar who is obsessed with having a Cleopatra of his very own, Selene is determined to resurrect her mother's dreams and succeed where she failed. But there's no telling what success will cost her in a treacherous political game where the only rule is win or die.
©2018 Stephanie Dray (P)2018 Blackstone Audio, Inc.

message 31: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (bonnie_poole) | 32 comments I found this book on Audible and wonder if it would qualify? primarily about Cleopatra and Mark Anthony’s daughter.

Lily of the Nile
The Cleopatra's Daughter Trilogy, Book 1
By: Stephanie Dray
Narrated by: Kyla Garcia
Series: Cleopatra's Daughter Series, Book 1
Length: 12 hrs and 39 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release date: 06-26-18
Publisher's Summary
The extraordinary daughter of Cleopatra and Mark Anthony seeks to reclaim her birthright in the first novel of an epic historical fiction trilogy from the New York Times best-selling author of America's First Daughter.
With both of her parents dead, Princess Selene and her two surviving brothers are left at the mercy of their captors, taken from Egypt and put on display as war trophies in Rome. Trapped in an empire that reviles her heritage and suspects her faith, Selene struggles for survival in a court of intrigue. She can't hide the hieroglyphics that carve themselves into her hands nor can she stop the emperor from using her powers for his own ends.
Faced with a new and ruthless Caesar who is obsessed with having a Cleopatra of his very own, Selene is determined to resurrect her mother's dreams and succeed where she failed. But there's no telling what success will cost her in a treacherous political game where the only rule is win or die.
©2018 Stephanie Dray (P)2018 Blackstone Audio, Inc.

message 32: by Kristin (new)

Kristin A Treacherous Curse by Deanna Rayburn is an interesting historical mystery dealing with an Egyptian sarcophagus, an Egyptian curse, and a mystery. This is #3 in the Veronica Speedwell series. It is an easy read with delightful repartee between Veronica and her very masculine sidekick Revelstoke Templeton-Vane. Takes place in Victorian England.

message 33: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (bonnie_poole) | 32 comments The Egyptian Cinderella by Shirley Climo, Illustrations by Ruth Heller is a Children’s book. It is the tale of Rhodopis and the rose red slippers, one of the world’s oldest Cinderella stories. It was first recorded by the Roman historian Strabo in the first century BC. The story is both fact and fable. The fact is that a Greek slave girl, Rhodopis, married the Pharaoh Amasis, Dynasty XXVI 570-526 BC and became his Queen. The fable part is worth reading the beautiful story to find out.

Of course this is just an extra read for the prompt. I was thinking that the Reading Through the Ages Challenge could be adapted for children, perhaps those of the latter Elementary school age, or middle grades, as a great way to learn more about history mixed with a bit of fiction, folk tales, fables or fairytales.

message 34: by Melanie (new)

Kristin wrote: "A Treacherous Curse by Deanna Rayburn is an interesting historical mystery dealing with an Egyptian sarcophagus, an Egyptian curse, and a mystery. This is #3 in the Veronica Speedwell series. It is..."

Love that series

message 35: by Melanie (new)

Bonnie wrote: "The Egyptian Cinderella by Shirley Climo, Illustrations by Ruth Heller is a Children’s book. It is the tale of Rhodopis and the rose red slippers, one of the world’s oldest Cinderella stories. It w..."

There are loads of Middle Grade books. Rick Riordan has a series that deals with Ancient Egyptian myths and present day kids. My daughter loves those. She is obsessed with Ancient Egypt. Anything ancient really

message 36: by Cathy (last edited Oct 13, 2019 10:19AM) (new)

Cathy I read Child of the Morning by Pauline Gedge for this, which is about Queen Hatshepsut who declared herself Pharaoh. I enjoyed it and recommend it.

message 37: by Nic (new)

Nic (bibliolicious_reads) | 24 comments I just finished Jo Graham's Hand of Isis for this category. Good fun. Well researched without being po-faced about it; cheerfully anachronistic at times. More polyamorous sexytimes than I expected, but that's no bad thing :D