Reading Through the Ages discussion

Russia before the Revolution

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Dec 14, 2018 01:32AM) (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
What was Russia like under the Tsars? What where the Tsars like? Just a couple of ideas of what historical fiction can explore.

If you need any ideas about what to read check the bookshelf (link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...)

Share ideas, what you are reading and your thoughts down below.

message 2: by Jill (last edited Dec 31, 2018 04:49PM) (new)

Jill (jillglove) | 10 comments If you like adventure stories, one of my favorite reads last year was A Dream in Polar Fog, featuring indigenous Chukchi and a Canadian sailor.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 5 comments I plan on reading The House of Special Purpose by John Boyne - this may straddle both pre and post revolution but I have been meaning to read it.

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Susan wrote: "I plan on reading The House of Special Purpose by John Boyne - this may straddle both pre and post revolution but I have been meaning to read it."

One book both challenges

message 5: by Sharon (last edited Jan 14, 2019 01:13AM) (new)

Sharon New release coming soon, I'll be reading for this category. The Last Days of the Romanov Dancers by Kerri Turner

message 6: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) Jill wrote: "If you like adventure stories, one of my favorite reads last year was A Dream in Polar Fog, featuring indigenous Chukchi and a Canadian sailor."

That sounds really interesting! I'll have to hunt that down.

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Sharon wrote: "New release coming soon, I'll be reading for this category. The Last Days of the Romanov Dancers by Kerri Turner"

ooh, a new release :)

message 8: by Nic (new)

Nic (bibliolicious_reads) | 24 comments I think this is going to be my War and Peace year. Ahhhhhhhh

message 9: by Melanie (new)

And you would tick two challenges at once with War and Peace as it also qualifies for Napoleonic Wars

message 10: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) Nic wrote: "I think this is going to be my War and Peace year. Ahhhhhhhh"

Haha, I might give that one a second try this year as well (on the first try, I put it away for a bit after a 100 pages and when I came back to it, I forgot who was who....). Though will Tolstoy stop comparing his female characters to cutesy animals? in the first 60 pages there are already a comparison to a chipmunk and a kitten, and I find that rather annoying.

Also, speaking of combining this challenge with the Napoleonic Wars, I've just came across a memoir of a woman ran away from small-town life as a married woman and joined the Russian army and fought against the French: The Cavalry Maiden: Journals of a Russian Officer in the Napoleonic Wars. That sounds really fantastic and even better, my library has a copy! Perhaps it's not really historical fiction (a memoir, so it's contemporary non-fiction), but it might be interesting to combine with War and Peace?

message 11: by Melanie (new)

Sanne wrote: "Nic wrote: "I think this is going to be my War and Peace year. Ahhhhhhhh"

Haha, I might give that one a second try this year as well (on the first try, I put it away for a bit after a 100 pages an..."

You read what you want to read, the challenges are there for you to interpret them in any way you want.

message 12: by Nic (new)

Nic (bibliolicious_reads) | 24 comments Sanne wrote: "Nic wrote: "I think this is going to be my War and Peace year. Ahhhhhhhh"

Haha, I might give that one a second try this year as well (on the first try, I put it away for a bit after a 100 pages an..."

The memoir sounds fantastic - will see if I can hunt it down.

I've recently finished the first book of W&P; not finding it as involving as Anna Karenina so far, although that may be because I'm reading it in tiny, snack-sized chunks (with the help of a chapter-a-day challenge someone set up over at habitica.com).

message 13: by Nic (new)

Nic (bibliolicious_reads) | 24 comments Nic wrote: "I've recently finished the first book of W&P; not finding it as involving as Anna Karenina so far..."

Reader, this continued to be the case. I finished it on the last day of June. Not sorry I read it, but glad it's done.

message 14: by Ruth Ann (new)

Ruth Ann (moodygrl00) I listened to The Winter Palace. I love reading about women in history to learning about Catherine the Great was fantastic.