Reading Through the Ages discussion

Africa before 1800

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Dec 14, 2018 01:37AM) (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
We are hoping to find some historical fiction books that explore Africa's rich past, their empires, their people, their art and culture.

Need some inspiration, check the bookshelf (link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...)

Share your books and recommendations here.

message 2: by Melanie (new)

I am going to read Softness of the Lime by Maxine Case which was on the Academy Recommends list of the Walter Scott Prize. Set in the 1700s in Africa. Sounds amazing.

message 3: by Nic (new)

Nic (bibliolicious_reads) | 24 comments I plan to read Segu , by Maryse Conde, which was recently republished in the UK by Penguin.

message 4: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (sturnerstuff) | 15 comments Thinking of a re-read of Homegoing which was one of my top books I read in 2017, or possibly Kintu if I can get it from the library

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Shaun wrote: "Thinking of a re-read of Homegoing which was one of my top books I read in 2017, or possibly Kintu if I can get it from the library"

I am reading Kinto as it is the Read Around the World book for next month.

message 6: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) I read Kintu last year. It was fab, especially the pre-colonial chapter (the novel skips in time), so can't recommend it enough! Can't wait what Jennifer Nansubuga Makumba has in store for her next novel.

I'll probably be reading Segu as well. Condé is one of those authors I've been meaning to try out.
I also have Les rochers de Poudre d'Or by Nathacha Appanah on my selves. I really loved one of her other novels last year, so I'm looking forward to trying this historical fiction by her. It's set in Mauritius and tells the story of Indian immigrants.

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Sanne wrote: "I read Kintu last year. It was fab, especially the pre-colonial chapter (the novel skips in time), so can't recommend it enough! Can't wait what Jennifer Nansubuga Makumba has in store for her next..."

That sounds brilliant, my Read Around the World Bookclub is reading Kintu next month, so that should tick the challenge twice with the Softness of the Lime.

message 8: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valroos) I just finished reading Leonora Miano's Season of the Shadow, which takes place in West Africa at the beginning of the slave trade. Would highly recommend it.

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Valerie wrote: "I just finished reading Leonora Miano's Season of the Shadow, which takes place in West Africa at the beginning of the slave trade. Would highly recommend it."

That sounds good :)

message 10: by Ruth Ann (new)

Ruth Ann (moodygrl00) I just finished Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi. What an incredible book. It’s been on my TBR since it came out and I’m so glad I finally made the time to read it.

message 11: by Melanie (new)

Ruth Ann wrote: "I just finished Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi. What an incredible book. It’s been on my TBR since it came out and I’m so glad I finally made the time to read it."

So glad to hear it, I really enjoyed it as well.

message 12: by Natalie (new)

Natalie  | 5 comments Another book that has come out recently is The Hundred Wells of Salaga by Ayesha Harruna Attah. I have just finished it and thought to post here when I realized that the book is actually set in 1890s Ghana.

So, 100 years late...

However if you don't mind cheating a little bit, this can still work.
I've found this to be a very readable, "plotty" novel with interesting characters. The ending is not my favorite and I would have liked to spend more time with many of the characters (more time &depth, less plot, I read for the characters ), but overall I have really enjoyed it and definitely recommend it.

If you like the first couple of chapters in Homegoing, you might want to give this one a try.

message 13: by Melanie (new)

Cheating is allowed :)