Reading Through the Ages discussion

103 views
Medieval China

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Dec 14, 2018 02:31AM) (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Medieval China meaning the time period from about 500 to 1500 AD.

Find some inspiration here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Share what you are reading, any recommendations.


message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
I think I am going to read Empress by Shan Sa, set I believe in 8th century China. Been eying this book up for a long time.


message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lavelle | 13 comments I'm planning on reading The moon in the palace by Weina Dai Randel for this challenge (not sure when, but that's the plan). I'll probably end up covering the challenge twice as this is part of a duology so I'll most likely pick up the second book as well- I like my ends nicely tied up! Xx


message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Amanda wrote: "I'm planning on reading The moon in the palace by Weina Dai Randel for this challenge (not sure when, but that's the plan). I'll probably end up covering the challenge twice as this is part of a du..."

So do I, I am also a completist - if I like the book.


message 5: by Candace (new)

Candace | 6 comments I really loved The Moon in the Palace and am eager to get to the second in the series too. Yay!!! I haven’t heard many people talk about it :)


message 6: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) waaaiiit, the Legend of the Condor series by Jin Yong is historical fiction as well? Excellent! I loved the first book, and the second one will be out in translation in february.

For people who like historical mysteries, I recommend adaptions of the classic Chinese detective stories. These are wonderful puzzle-mysteries and are adapted from classic Chinese stories (I think the source-material is from the 18th century?). The premise is, that there's a travelling judge who with his band of assistants travel to places where there is trouble (murder, corruption, etc.) and sets things right.
The most famous adaption, I think, is the Judge Dee series written by Robert van Gulik, which follow a travelling judge in 8th century China.
Another modern adaption of these classic Chinese detective stories is the graphic novel series about Judge Bao. The first in the series is Judge Bao Volume 1: Judge Bao and the Jade Phoenix. Added bonus that the illustrations give gorgeous detail of the clothes and atmosphere of Song dynasty China.


message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Sanne wrote: "waaaiiit, the Legend of the Condor series by Jin Yong is historical fiction as well? Excellent! I loved the first book, and the second one will be out in translation in february.

..."


Thanks for the suggestions, that is brilliant :)


message 8: by peg (new)

peg Just finished UNDER HEAVEN by Guy Gavriel Kay for this slot. Really enjoyed the combination of fantasy and true historical background of the Tang Dynasty (8th century China). Great characterization and I want to read more by this author...I see he has a new book just out!


message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
peg wrote: "Just finished UNDER HEAVEN by Guy Gavriel Kay for this slot. Really enjoyed the combination of fantasy and true historical background of the Tang Dynasty (8th century China). Great characterization..."

I have never read anything by him, must really change it.


message 10: by Nic (last edited Feb 08, 2019 03:59AM) (new)

Nic (bibliolicious_reads) | 24 comments Melanie wrote: "I have never read anything by him, must really change it."

:) My personal favourite of his is The Lions of al-Rassan (set in a version of medieval Iberia).


nettebuecherkiste (idril) | 5 comments I'm starting The Corpse Reader tonight, it's a mystery set in the 1300s. I'm not that keen on mysteries normally, but I'm still looking foward to this one.


message 12: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
nettebuecherkiste wrote: "I'm starting The Corpse Reader tonight, it's a mystery set in the 1300s. I'm not that keen on mysteries normally, but I'm still looking foward to this one."

I saw and you will have to let me know, I do love a mystery.


message 13: by nettebuecherkiste (last edited Apr 26, 2019 05:34AM) (new)

nettebuecherkiste (idril) | 5 comments Melanie wrote: "nettebuecherkiste wrote: "I'm starting The Corpse Reader tonight, it's a mystery set in the 1300s. I'm not that keen on mysteries normally, but I'm still looking foward to this one...."

I forgot to say, my (German) review is live here on Goodreads and on my blog now :-)


message 14: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
nettebuecherkiste wrote: "Melanie wrote: "nettebuecherkiste wrote: "I'm starting The Corpse Reader tonight, it's a mystery set in the 1300s. I'm not that keen on mysteries normally, but I'm still looking fow..."
shall check it out


back to top