Reading Through the Ages discussion

Australia pre-1900

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Dec 18, 2018 12:27AM) (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Discovering new lands, being sent as a convict or as someone overseeing the convicts, an explorer.

Check the bookshelf for some suggestions: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

And don't forget to share what you are reading and any recommendations you may have.

message 2: by Regina (last edited Dec 29, 2018 10:07AM) (new)

Regina Lemoine True History of the Kelly Gang

Oscar and Lucinda

Both are set in 19th century Australia.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Regina wrote: "True History of the Kelly Gang

Oscar and Lucinda

Both are set in 19th century Australia."

thank you

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2 comments Gretta Curran Browne has a book called The Far Horizon, which is set in 19th century Australia. A blend of fictional and historical characters. Very enjoyable.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Howe | 9 comments I’m going with The Dreaming by Barbara Wood or The Forgotten Places by Joanna Craven. The Forgotten Places seems to have really beautiful and lyrical writing but I like having a backup.

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Amy wrote: "Gretta Curran Browne has a book called The Far Horizon, which is set in 19th century Australia. A blend of fictional and historical characters. Very enjoyable."

Added this book

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Kate wrote: "I’m going with The Dreaming by Barbara Wood or The Forgotten Places by Joanna Craven. The Forgotten Places seems to have really beautiful and lyrical writing but I like having a backup."

Oh sounds great, added both books to the bookshelf.

message 8: by Judy (new)

Judy | 2 comments Two books about Australia that I enjoyed are "The Vines of Yarrabee" by Dorothy Eden and Capricornia" by Xavier Herbert. I am going to read Oscar and Lucinda for this challenge as it has been on my TBR shelf for about three years.

message 9: by Melanie (last edited Jan 03, 2019 10:30AM) (new)

I am going to read Storyland by Catherine McKinnon for this. If I can track down a copy of this book....

message 10: by Nic (new)

Nic (bibliolicious_reads) | 24 comments Another suggestion for the bookshelf: Richard Flanagan, Gould's Book of Fish.

I think I'm going for English Passengers.

message 11: by Melanie (last edited Jan 14, 2019 12:53AM) (new)

I have just seen this book is coming out soon, sounds like it might interest some people.

description

From the soft green hills of Ireland to the wild Shipwreck Coast of southern Victoria, the rich farm lands of New South Wales to the sudden battlefields of Ballarat, this is an epic story of the cost of freedom and the value of love in a far-flung corner of the world where a nation sows its earliest seeds. 1851: After the death of her father, young Eve Richards is destitute. Her struggle to survive sees her deported in chains to the colony of New South Wales, penniless and alone. But here in this strange new world fortune smiles on the spirited, clever Eve in the shape of a respectable job offer that will lead to a quiet, secure life. Then the fiery and charismatic Irishman Kieran Clancy crosses her path...

message 12: by Melanie (new)

And another new release The Girl from Eureka that fits the Australia pre-1900 prompt

description

Gold miner Indy Wallace wants nothing more than to dig up enough gold to give her mother an easier life. Wild and reckless, and in trouble more often than not, Indy finds herself falling for handsome, chivalrous, British Army Lieutenant Will Marsh. But in the eyes of immigrant miners, soldiers are the enemy.

Will has been posted to Ballarat with a large contingent of Her Majesty's Army to protect the Crown gold and keep the peace. But once he meets rebellious Indy, he doubt's he'll ever be at peace again. As Will and Indy's attraction grows, their loyalties are tested when the unrest between miners and the military reaches breaking point.

message 13: by Bree (new)

Bree | 1 comments Only Killers and Thieves by Paul Howarth is set in Queensland, Australia in 1885 and has recieved great reviews. I think this will be my pick, it also happens to be on my shelves :)

message 14: by Bookpiles (new)

Bookpiles The Convict Girl series by Deborah Challinor is a great series to read. Set in early years of Sydney and following the lives of 4 Convict girls sent to Australia.
Behind the Sun is the first book in the series.

message 15: by Melanie (last edited Jan 21, 2019 07:36AM) (new)

From the Wreck by Jane Rawson
Sounds sooooo good for this prompt, so much choice for Australia, cannot even cope ;)

description

message 16: by Melanie (last edited Feb 12, 2019 01:11AM) (new)

Fled: A Novel

description

This is a new release coming out in April in the UK, sounds brilliant.

Based on the life of an incredible historical heroine, a harrowing journey in search of love, justice, and freedom, told by the daughter of best-selling author Thomas Keneally (Schindler's List)

Tall and lanky, more suited to sailing and fishing than to keeping a house, Jenny Gwyn has proven herself a survivor. When she's caught stealing to support her impoverished family, she and dozens of other convicts are sent across the world to help settle England's newest colony in Australia.

After being contained on a filthy ship and selling her body for better rations, Jenny is shocked to see the place that will become her home. The harsh landscape of Sydney Cove isn't welcoming to its new settlers with it's arid climate and precious little fresh water. Even worse, she and the others are still prisoners under the strict watch of Governor Edward Lockharty, and no amount of cunning can earn his favor. Jenny refuses to submit to the Governor or to the barren land unable to support the growing population. Determined to find a better life for herself and her children, she braves the sea, and a journey of over three thousand miles in a small rowboat, for a chance at a future worth fighting for.

Based on the true story of Mary Bryant, an iconic figure in the foundation lore of Australia as Great Britain's penal colony, Fled is a sweeping, heart-wrenching account of one woman's life-long search for freedom.

message 17: by Liz (last edited Feb 23, 2019 03:19PM) (new)

Liz (lschubert) | 7 comments I found this historical romance set in Australia Starling
Starling (South Landers, #1) by Virginia Taylor

message 18: by Indydriven (new)

Indydriven | 1 comments I’m going with Morgan’s Run by Colleen McCullough. I love Australian fiction!

message 19: by Liz (new)

Liz (lschubert) | 7 comments Gwen wrote: "I’m going with Morgan’s Run by Colleen McCullough. I love Australian fiction!"

I was tempted by this one because I loved Thorn Birds but then saw the page count...

message 20: by Liz (new)

Liz (lschubert) | 7 comments Here is another historical mystery I might try. Found it on instagram. The Unfortunate Victim
The Unfortunate Victim (Otto Berliner Investigates) by Greg Pyers

message 21: by Melanie (new)

Liz wrote: "I found this historical romance set in Australia Starling
Starling (South Landers, #1) by Virginia Taylor"

oh that looks good

message 22: by Melanie (new)

Liz wrote: "Gwen wrote: "I’m going with Morgan’s Run by Colleen McCullough. I love Australian fiction!"

I was tempted by this one because I loved Thorn Birds but then saw the page count..."

Gwen wrote: "I’m going with Morgan’s Run by Colleen McCullough. I love Australian fiction!"

haha, yeah her books are good defence weapons at a push

message 23: by Melanie (new)

Liz wrote: "Here is another historical mystery I might try. Found it on instagram. The Unfortunate Victim
The Unfortunate Victim (Otto Berliner Investigates) by Greg Pyers"

Ohh exciting :)

message 24: by Melanie (new)

This Readathon is happening in April, perfect month to pick up your Australia book :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ETlM...

message 25: by Ruth Ann (new)

Ruth Ann (moodygrl00) I finished The Dreaming: A Novel of Australia by Barbara Wood. I enjoyed it, especially learning about the Aboriginal customs.

I’ve now read two of Barbara Wood’s novels and I’m not sure she’s the author for me. She writes well but both book I’ve read by her are about 100 pages too long as she tends to be somewhat repetitive.