Reading Through the Ages discussion

Early Modern Scandavinia (c.1500-1800)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Dec 18, 2018 12:38AM) (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Early Modern Scandavinia (c.1500-1800), but naturally you can interpret this in any form you want, but ideally read something before 1800.

Bookshelf for inspiration: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Share and recommend :)

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
I shall be tackling two books for this challenge in January 2019, one is a slight cheat but hey, who cares.

The first one is a book for Britta's Noble Women Challenge and that is The Wreath by Sigrid Undset, it is set in 14th century Sweden, but I will read this one way or another, so we may as well count it.

The second book is a new release coming out in February and I got an Arc for it. The Wolf and the Watchman by Niklas Natt och Dag, the blurb says that it is a book for those who loved The Perfume and The Alienist, a historical crime thriller. Sounds good.

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (Eve's Alexandria) | 26 comments Mod
I'm planning on tackling some Sigrid Undset too, as I have a huge bind-up of Kristin Lavransdatter. And I also have an ARC of The Wolf and the Watchman. But I think my priority for this category is The Glass Woman by Caroline Lea. It comes out at the beginning of February and is set in 17th century Iceland.

I'm hoping it's going to be as good as one of my favourite books of this year, which was The Sealwoman's Gift by Sally Magnusson. That's set (partly) in 17th century Iceland too and would fit this prompt nicely.

message 4: by Nic (new)

Nic (bibliolicious_reads) | 24 comments I've just finished Per Olov Enquist's The Visit of the Royal Physician (18thc. Denmark; Swedish author) for this category, and I'd highly recommend it. Brief review here.

message 5: by Ruth Ann (new)

Ruth Ann (moodygrl00) I finished The Sealwoman's Gift the other day and can't stop thinking about it. It was brutally heartbreaking and so beautifully written. I highly recommend it. I listened to it which I think helped with some of the Icelandic names. 5 stars