Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Available to beta read YA fan/scifi/dystopia and more

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah (new)

Leah Decoran (leah_decoran) | 1 comments Hi Julia. I'm seeking beta readers for my YA Modern Fantasy story. It's about 87k words long. Here's a description:

The story follows Shira, a girl who used to be human. Six years ago, when she was 12-years-old, she became an aberrant, a transformation that came with powers and deep physiological changes that no one fully understands. Like all aberrants, she lives in a prison of their own making, a place to keep them "safe" from humans and from themselves.
Except everything suddenly feels far less safe when Shira's roommate dies under mysterious circumstances.

message 2: by Erica (new)

Erica Hernandez | 10 comments Hi Julia,
I would love it if you would consider reading my 116,000-word apocalyptic novel. The story begins as a virus sweeps the nation, killing about 90% of the population, leaving about 8% sick but recovering with extreme violence and paranoia, but only about 2% who remain healthy. The main character is a mother and her friend, both with some prepper history, who band together to survive. The primary head character is a psychotherapist who later discovers that a former client has survived and is attacking young females, becoming an added threat to society. This is a common theme with a new twist. I approach this genre with a new idea about how a virus could leave the world and new ideas about how to survive.

message 3: by Jorja (new)

Jorja Grace | 2 comments Hi Julia!
I have a 93K YA fiction novel that could use a beta reader! Here's the synopsis:

When the world’s greatest explorer vanishes in search of a legend, his daughter is the only one that still believes him to be alive. Her desperate hope to find him becomes a possibility when a young Captain proposes marriage, and a way off the tiny island that has kept her prisoner all her life. But Asheida has plans of her own.
Battling fierce pirates, bandits, and a new evil brewing in the shadows, Asheida finds her heart torn between love and sacrifice. With nothing but a compass and her conflicted heart, she embarks on a journey to find her missing father–no matter the cost.
You can check out my website at https://jorjagrace.com or email me at j.gracejh@yahoo.com.
Thank you for your time, and good luck with your beta reading pursuits!

message 4: by R.M. (new)

R.M. Tafari | 62 comments Hey Julia,
You can check my website www.rmtafari.com and let me know if you’re interested.

Thanks for your time.

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz Graham | 2 comments Hi Julia - what a lovely offer. I'm looking for Beta readers for the first in a contemporary fantasy series. The rough blurb:

Alt Town is just a flick of a thought away, but it’s no place for an untrained half-witch like Dara.
As the illegitimate daughter of a witch and a human she has to stay under the radar, hide her magic powers and most importantly – not dabble in the craft. The purification hunts have begun again and the Witch Kin are targeting those of mixed blood. The ones like Dara.
She may find answers in Alt, the supernatural dimension where fairies, dwarves and other fantastical beings dwell, but she also finds out the hard way that there’s no quick fix for errors in magic. Consequences follow inevitably like dominoes falling in line; armed with natural power but no knowledge, she has to undo her mistakes before being found out, or else she’ll never get out alive.
If you're interested, please email me at elizgraham@gmail.com. Thanks in advance!

message 6: by nafay (new)

nafay (nafay404) Hey Julia!!! I'm currently looking for beta readers for my debut YA dystopian novel completed at 93k words. The synopsis are:

When sixteen year-old Saelierea is kidnapped right from in front of her house and taken to a place entirely different from her Village, she learns that she is a part of America's government. And that she is given a city to rule.

Now that things have taken a major turn, putting Saelierea in an immensely difficult time, she'd have to protect those she once promised to. No matter if it means sacrificing herself.

If you're interested, please email me at nafaynajeeb70@gmail.com. Thank you very much!

message 7: by James (new)

James Penn (jwpenn) | 20 comments I see you have had quite the response here, so I don't know if you'll be able to get back to me, but if so, please shoot me a message.
I'd be looking for a beta sometime around Dec 26, as I will need until then to clean up the rough draft. This is the third book in a series but unless you wanted to read the first two, you could just jump in with the third, since they're supposed to be readable stand-alone.
Short blurb:
4 teens travel through time to try to save the world from changes that evil genius scientists from the future have made to the timeline. In this book, they go back to Valley Forge to stop a superbug from wiping out the main force of the continental army before trying to cripple the scientists' ability to time travel

message 8: by Abby (new)

Abby | 49 comments Hello Julia, I was wondering if you were interested in my story "Our Father" that is 79k words. Here is a blurb:

Robyn Bell is an upcoming actress. With a movie finishing up and a budding romance with her best friend Jason, everything should be sunshine and rainbows. Instead it's raining secrets. In the shadows of her success, Robyn’s childhood best friend Nathaniel, is stalking her, seeking revenge for betraying him. When she bumps into him at her hotel, she panics. At the advice of her ex-boyfriend, she forms a makeshift team to fight against him. Before they can act, Nathaniel kidnaps Robyn and unlocks suppressed feelings when he brings her to Leonard Bell, her estranged father. A man who left the night of her sixth birthday is now asking for her help.

The connections they made with people in the past influenced their future. An ex-girlfriend, an old fling, a stranger, a brother, or a father. These strings of connections force the characters to relive the past and the mistakes they made along the way. Some connections were key players in the capture of Robyn, and others are the missing link to helping Robyn's father.

Thank you for your consideration.

message 9: by Blaire (new)

Blaire | 2 comments Hello there,
I appreciate your offer. I have a 30K words story. It a preparation for a fantasy novel. It has romance, drama, horror, mystery and fantasy in it. If you are interested, please let me know. Thank you.

message 10: by Liv (new)

Liv Hauvuy (livhauvuy) | 29 comments Hi Julia,

I am a prospective creative writing student myself! How are you enjoying the major? I'm currently a high school senior however and I'd love if you were interested in my manuscript. The working title is Liar Liar and here's a short blurb:

In a culture of despair live people controlled by their fear of Liars--those with the mere ability to tell untruths. Koathe and Anna live in this world, where their kind is hunted and killed. Living in hiding, the girls are forced to show their true colors, all the while battling for acceptance, love, and understanding. Can a belief that has lasted hundreds of years be defeated? Or are Liars truly an evil in need of extermination?

Let me know if you'd like to try it! Thanks!

message 11: by David (new)

David Wilson | 95 comments Hi Julie, I have an 80K YA fantasy . The story tracks the adventure of young Aldrin developing maturity. Part of a diminutive race he lives hidden amidst and dominated by the raging rivers and massive trees, trying to live a simple life hunting insects and chasing girls. He is sent upriver involved in events beyond his control. Aldrin’s summer work on the river seemed routine enough until the white water, bandits and wild animals, but when his mentor involves him in retrieving a mysterious book, things turn even worse. They are pursued by a relentless assailant right into the very bowels of the earth, from which no one has ever returned alive.

Let me know if you would like to give it a go!

David.

message 12: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Lasica (jdlasica) | 17 comments Hi, Julia, if you're still accepting submissions ...

I'm a published author (#1 bestseller in a couple of Amazon genres last year) with a new high-tech thriller coming out in late March.

Synopsis: Overnight, hundreds of teenage girls disappear from the streets of America. Off the coast of Florida, an augmented reality theme park opens for the super-rich. Are the two connected? When two assailants accost 23-year-old Kaden Baker at an awards gala, she enters a maelstrom of high-tech international intrigue that pits her against a mysterious foe. It will take all her covert ops and hacking skills as she allies with a band of family members resolved to retrieve their daughters and battle an enemy that’s out to change the face of the world.

Genre: Sci-fi thriller

Does this sound interesting to you? It's been through a professional editor and we'd *love* a final read and a fresh perspective. Length: 94,000 words.

I am looking for comments on any plot holes, character development, inconsistencies or mistakes we didn't catch and anything else you'd like to comment on.

Thanks for supporting the author community! Feel free to DM me.

JD Lasica

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 80 comments Hello Julia,

I'm needing a beta reader for a novella/short story that's about 12,100 words. Here's a brief synopsis:

When a psychic boy's father is murdered, his long lost mother takes custody of him. But she isn't human and he fears he may not be either. The murderer seems to know this too.

If you're interested drop an email at amandajustice92@yahoo.com. Thanks!

message 14: by Mytchel (new)

Mytchel Chandler (authormytchelchandler) | 42 comments Howdy! I am looking for BETAS for my upcoming novel, The Dark and Dangerous Days of Sin Shadow. It is YA Fantasy and sits at a whopping 84,000 words. Blurb:

Sin Shadow, after discovering he has the ability to travel through shadows, is anointed as the ambassador between the two sides of his world, light and dark. Both sides seem to be creeping closer and closer to war, and it's up to him to hold the pieces together as they come crashing down. He will very quickly realize that his newfound powers will only help him get so far...

Thank you!

message 15: by Mytchel (new)

Mytchel Chandler (authormytchelchandler) | 42 comments Howdy! I am hoping to find someone to review by upcoming book; The Dark and Dangerous Days of Sin Shadow. It is YA Fantasy and sits at a whopping 84,000 words. Blurb:

Sin Shadow, after discovering he has the ability to travel through shadows, is anointed as the ambassador between the two sides of his world, light and dark. Both sides seem to be creeping closer and closer to war, and it's up to him to hold the pieces together as they come crashing down. He will very quickly realize that his newfound powers will only help him get so far...

Hope to hear from you and thank you!