Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Manga > Graphic Novel/Manga Reading Challenge 2019

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (last edited Dec 23, 2018 01:04PM) (new)

Matt | 9 comments UPDATE: As suggested by Erin below, I have created a stand alone group for this reading challenge. You can find that group at this link:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Hey everyone! I put together a 2019 Graphic Novel and Manga Reading Challenge for myself and I thought, "Why not see if anyone else is interested in trying it?" So here it is!

Rules:

1. Graphic Novel or Series may only be used on one prompt in the challenge.

2. Must select a Graphic Novel or Series that you have not previously read (unless otherwise stated)

Prompts:

1. Walk in Your Shoes – Graphic Novel or series with a protagonist that is different from you (age , gender, orientation, ethnic background)

2. The Breaking News – Graphic Novel or series that references or takes place during a modern historical event (last 10 years)

3. The Past is Present – Graphic Novel or series that takes place at least 50 years from present day.

4. The One and Done – Graphic Novel that is written as one volume (as originally published, no collections or omnibus)

5. The Second Try – Graphic Novel or Series that you have previously read and not finished, or have heard about (intended to read) and never did.

6. The Globe Trotter – Graphic Novel with a creative team that is not from The United States or Japan.

7. The Web Surfer – Graphic Novel or Series currently or originally released online.

8. The Popular Pick – Graphic Novel or Series that currently appears on the Amazon Graphic Novel Best seller page.

9. The Early Days – Graphic Novel or series that is an earlier work of an author/creative team you have ready the work of.

10. The Double Take – 2 Graphic Novel or series about the same character or setting, by two different authors or creative teams.

11. The Spin Off – Graphic Novel or series based off of an existing franchise or character that does not originate from the graphic novel format you are reading.

12. The Origin – Graphic Novel or series that portrays the origin story of a character that has gone on to appear in other works (must be a sequel series or successive work, not a continuation of the current work. i.e. no Volume 2’s.)

13. The Legacy – Graphic Novel or series whose protagonist takes up a moniker or title from the previous holder (i.e. new robin, new batman, etc.).

14. The Athlete - Graphic Novel or series that focuses on a particular sport or physical activity.

15. The Hobbyist – Graphic Novel or series that focuses on a particular hobby or physical game (i.e. card/board games, no videogames).

16. The Recommendation - Graphic Novel or Series that is recommended to you by someone else.

17. The Genre Jump – Graphic Novel or Series in a genre that you have no (or very little) experience reading.

18. The Source – Graphic Novel or Series that acts as the source material for a non-graphic novel or series piece or media.

19. The Virtual World – A Graphic Novel or Series that takes place in a Digital or artificially generated setting.

20. Outside Your Window – Graphic Novel or Series with a protagonist that you share a talent or skill with. (Must be a stand out skill or talent that few others share with you).

21. The Thinker – Graphic Novel or Series that has a focus on philosophy or theology.

22. The Traveler – Graphic Novel or Series that focuses on a physical journey or trip.

23. The Collector – Graphic Novel or series that’s primary goal is the collection or uniting of special items.

24. The Soldier – Graphic Novel or series about a soldier or fighter involved in or dealing with the fallout of their involvement in a war.

25. The Terror – Graphic Novel or series that is classified as primarily Horror (can include a sub-genre, but Horror must be primary)

26. Tall Tales – Graphic Novel or Series that include aspects of folklore from any culture.

27. The Nomad – Graphic Novel or Series about a person or group that are always on the move (pirates, ship crews, nomads, hitchhicker etc.)

28. The Mighty Pen – Graphic Novel or Series focusing on the written word or the effect of literature. (writing, journalism, books)

29. The Mindscape – Graphic Novel or Series that focuses on an individual or group with an altered sense of reality (mental illness, substance induced, unreliable narrator ,etc)

30. On The Clock – Graphic Novel or Series that uses a countdown/clock in the title.

31. Time’s Up – Graphic Novel or Series that uses time travel or the concept of nonlinear time.

32. The Inevitable – Graphic Novel or Series in which you are told the endng of the story first, and then read about how the story got there.

33. Family Ties – Graphic Novel or Series that focuses on a familial relationship as part of the plot (can be sympathetic or antagonistic)

34. The Inhuman – Graphic Novel or Series in which the characters are not human, biologically or in appearance.

35. The Rebel – Graphic Novel or series with a focus on an uprising or rebellion.

36. The Supporter – Graphic Novel or Series whose protagonist is not the hero in the context of the story, but a supporter/protector/acquaintance of the hero.

37. The Marathon – Graphic Novel or Series that is at least 1000 pages in length.

38. Old School – Graphic Novel or series drawn entirely in black and white (does not include manga)

39. New Perspective – Graphic Novel or Series told from a perspective or with an opinion that differs from your own.

40. A True Story – A Graphic Novel or Series whose contents are biographical or Non-Fiction in nature.

41. To Be Continued – A Graphic Novel or series whose story has yet to be completed. (Sequel is forthcoming, series is still ongoing.)

42. The Tag Team – Graphic Novel or Series that was started by one author/creative team, but finished by a different one.

43. The Anthology – A Graphic Novel or Series that consists of short stories/anecdotes by multiple authors/creative teams.

44. The Romantic – Graphic Novel or Series that focuses primarily on any part or time in a romantic relationship.

45. The Criminal – Graphic Novel or Series with a focus on the execution or investigation of a crime or murder.

46. Good to be Bad- Graphic Novel or Series in which the main character is the villain or antagonist of the story.

47. The Funnies – A Graphic Novel or Series consisting of content originally published in Newspapers or Periodicals.

48. The Part-Timer – A Graphic Novel or Series about a character or characters in a workplace setting.

49. The Fusion – A Graphic Novel or Series that combines two or more genres.

50. The Call Back – A Graphic Novel or Series that you have read before, but it has been at least 5 years. If less than 5 years, use the first ever graphic novel/series you read.

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin (panelparty) | 3 comments Interesting! I usually do the Popsugar Challenge with graphic novels/series, I may have to give this a go as well.

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike | 112 comments Some of those look hard to fill, especially if each one has to be unique.

I read a huge number of graphic novels this year, so I think I managed to cover quite a few, but 50... oof. Good luck!

message 4: by 47Time (new)

47Time I've never tried something like this, but I'd like to.

How do you go about finding a comic for each item/prompt? I'm asking because usually I know little about a book before reading it - the synopsis may not help much.

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin (panelparty) | 3 comments 47Time wrote: "I've never tried something like this, but I'd like to.

How do you go about finding a comic for each item/prompt? I'm asking because usually I know little about a book before reading it - the synop..."

For a lot of these, I would simply search for things that will hopefully pull results - like for #22 I would search for "comic book/graphic novel about travel/journey" and see what that pulled up.

Matt, it may be a good idea for you to make your own group for this challenge - that way you can have a discussion board with a different discussion for each topic where people can leave ideas without cluttering up this main thread.

message 6: by Matt (new)

Matt | 9 comments Erin wrote: "47Time wrote: "I've never tried something like this, but I'd like to.

How do you go about finding a comic for each item/prompt? I'm asking because usually I know little about a book before reading..."

That is an excellent idea! I think I will do just that. Here is the Link for everyone to the new group (I've updated the post up top with the link as well):

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 7: by Matt (last edited Dec 13, 2018 07:16AM) (new)

Matt | 9 comments Trike wrote: "Some of those look hard to fill, especially if each one has to be unique.

I read a huge number of graphic novels this year, so I think I managed to cover quite a few, but 50... oof. Good luck!"

I may have gone overboard a little bit lol. When I was writing up the draft of this at my work place, I was trying to get as many ideas down as possible. I probably should have weeded them out a little bit, but I 'll give it a go this first time out and see how it plays out. I will not be surprised if it becomes unwieldy.

message 8: by Matt (new)

Matt | 9 comments Erin wrote: "Interesting! I usually do the Popsugar Challenge with graphic novels/series, I may have to give this a go as well."

The Pop Sugar Challenge is what actually inspired this! My co- workers had participated in it this year and were discussing how to incorporate it into the forthcoming year's library programming, which gave rise to the idea of extending the challenge to our Graphic Novels and Manga selections.

message 9: by Matt (new)

Matt | 9 comments 47Time wrote: "I've never tried something like this, but I'd like to.

How do you go about finding a comic for each item/prompt? I'm asking because usually I know little about a book before reading it - the synop..."

I agree with Erin's suggestion regarding use of a search engine, but I will be creating individual discussions over on the challenge's group page for each prompt so that we can all share suggestions and ask questions should any arise.

message 10: by 47Time (new)

47Time It took me 3.5 months, 92 volumes and a moderate amount of cheating, but it was worth it all the way. I'm content with my choice to try this challenge. I hope it's going to be a yearly thing.

Thank you, Matt and everyone else involved.