2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE - General > Booksirens

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3207 comments I've found this site which uses your Goodreads data and gives you lots of information about your reviews. For example, my average rating is 3.6, I've given out 61 5 star ratings and I tend to write more reviews about female authors. I think it's great if you're interested in stats about your reading.
I believe the Booksirens website is also a bit like Netgalley in that you could receive books to review.
This is my profile: https://booksirens.com/reviewer/C0HQRX0 and I'm curious to see what your reviews and ratings look like :)

message 2: by Nikki (last edited Dec 13, 2018 06:59AM) (new)

Nikki (nikki_framke) | 276 comments So I had to check this out...and it was awesome! Of course I had to build a profile for myself as well. Check it out!

Thanks for sharing, Rachel! In comparing my reviews and ratings to yours, it looks like we're fairly similar :) My average rating is 3.7 with 88 5 star ratings.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Ingalls | 1864 comments I am also on booksirens and receive books to review. Here I am--
https://booksirens.com/reviewer/GL638N0. It is a cool site and I try and reveiw 1-2 books a month from them.

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 597 comments You're all such voracious readers, this is awesome!
I'm also on Booksirens because I love how they do the breakdowns of analytics. So far I've rated a few of the books from the site, but for the most part I use it to track myself in terms of trends of what I seem to like, not like, and so on for when I'm deciding if I'm likely to read a new book.

message 5: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Jul 06, 2019 11:11AM) (new)

oshizu | 5411 comments Rachael, you had me at the word "stats," lol.
I'd never heard of Booksirens before, but I've gone ahead and created an account for myself. Apparently, it takes 5-7 days for my data to update.
Unlike you, I don't always write a review for every book I read, but maybe this will provide some motivation.
Thank you for sharing.

message 6: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 5411 comments Thank you, Amy, for bumping this thread, because I'd missed Rachael's initial posting back in December.
Having taken a peek at your profile, I'm surprised at how active you've been. Or, perhaps it's not such a surprise since you always do so well on the group's various challenges.

I do have a few questions for you and everyone else here on Booksires, since I've never reviewed an ARC before.
(1) How do you receive your review copies: (a) Do you choose which books you wish to review by requesting a copy? Or (b) do they get sent to you based on your profile?

(2) If you receive review copies you haven't personally chosen, what happens if you get one that you know is not for you?

(3) Would you mind sharing tips on how to negotiate the world of Booksiren reviewing?

Thank you for reading through all that.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy Ingalls | 1864 comments oshizu wrote: "Thank you, Amy, for bumping this thread, because I'd missed Rachael's initial posting back in December.
Having taken a peek at your profile, I'm surprised at how active you've been. Or, perhaps it..."

You're welcome! I am fairly new to the site, but this is how I do it:

1. I filled out my profile, selecting all the genres I like to read.
2. When I log in, I click on the top right where it says Explore ARCs.
3. I choose a book to read and select Read Full. (I have never been randomly sent a book-- I don't think it works that way.)
4. A window pops up and I agree to the rules then select MOBI (for Kindle Readers) and Direct Download. It goes right onto my laptop and is in my Kindle ready for me to read.
5. When I am finished I go to my profile (top right) and click My Downloads and Reviews. The book will be there and I will write a review and cut/paste it to Goodreads and/or Amazon.

I only joined booksirens in the last few months (someone on Goodreads invited me) so I am not a pro but so far it has been pretty easy, and who doesn't love stats and free books?

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy Ingalls | 1864 comments Amy wrote: "oshizu wrote: "Thank you, Amy, for bumping this thread, because I'd missed Rachael's initial posting back in December.
Having taken a peek at your profile, I'm surprised at how active you've been...."

I also figured out that you can update the analytics by exporting your Goodreads data and uploading it to booksirens. At the top of all the statistics there is a link.

message 9: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Jul 07, 2019 09:35AM) (new)

oshizu | 5411 comments @Amy

Thank you for your detailed explanation at how things work!
I did try the "Explore ARCs" feature which, I imagine, reflects my stated genre preferences, but nothing really grabbed me.

I sometimes can't even finish books that I've chosen for myself, so I was anxious about books chosen by strangers being sent to me. I'm glad to know I'll only have myself to blame for bad book choices, lol!
Great to know about updating the Booksirens stats!
This is my month for finishing/near-finishing a few more yearly challenges. I'll be checking out those free books next month!
Thanks again, Amy, for sharing all that info!

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy Ingalls | 1864 comments oshizu wrote: "@Amy

Thank you for your detailed explanation at how things work!
I did try the "Explore ARCs" feature which, I imagine, reflects my stated genre preferences, but nothing really grabbed me.

I some..."

You're welcome! And I totally agree-- I would not want a random book sent to me either. Good luck on finishing those challenges!