Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > February Classic SF/F Discussion Topic selection complete

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Please use this topic to nominate a Classic Science Fiction or Fantasy novel, anthology or novella you wish to discuss as a group in February (beginning February 1.)

(A Classic novel would typically have been published prior to 2000 and be considered a popular, trailblazing or important work of science fiction or fantasy. Presumably, any actual "classic" is still in print!)

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. If your nomination is selected by the group, you'll be expected to take the lead in the discussion.

We read & discuss up to three SF/F books each month: One is a "Classic" SF/F book (novel, anthology, novella or other story) which was written before 2000; that discussion starts on the 1st of each month. One is a "Contemporary" SF/F book, which was written after 2000; that discussion starts on the 21st of each month. We may also read one book from a series, as part of reading the entire series; that discussion starts the 11th of the month. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F book discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that this is our discussion selection for February. The Last Unicorn has already been selected as our January Classic Novel discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Tuesday, December 18, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 524 comments I’ll try again with The Warriors Apprentice

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2663 comments Rachel wrote: "I’ll try again with The Warriors Apprentice"

And because of that I'll hold off on my nomination till next month :) Hopefully third time's the charm!

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 524 comments Yay teamwork lol

message 5: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I'll vote for it too

message 6: by Cat (new)

Cat | 343 comments Just so it's not a one horse race, I'm going to nominate The Broken Sword

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2663 comments I wonder if there's ever been a nomination round that ended up with only one nomination?

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2227 comments I'll nominate Mindbridge by Joe Haldeman (1976). It's available for $1.99 at the Kindle store. It's an interesting way to explore the galaxy.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 18, 2018 05:31PM) (new)

Reminder: Today, Tuesday, is the final day to nominate a Classic Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our February group read and discussion.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 25, 2018 06:05PM) (new)

Announcement banner
Thank you for the nominations. A poll to select our Classic Science Fiction / Fantasy Work discussion topic for February is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice.

Please vote only if you plan on participating in the discussion of that book.

Note that this is our discussion selection for February. The Last Unicorn has already been selected as our January Classic Novel discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Wednesday, December 26.

Remember Christmas is coming (like you could forget), so it might be wise to do your voting early!

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2663 comments (Psst - it was The Last Unicorn that was picked for Jan's classic read, Invincible is the contemporary)

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 25, 2018 06:08PM) (new)

Andrea wrote: "(Psst - it was The Last Unicorn that was picked for Jan's classic read, Invincible is the contemporary)"

If you say so ...

Our selected Classic fantasy novel for discussion in January is...
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 27, 2018 06:04AM) (new)

Reminder: For those who are interested in discussing one of the above nominees with the group, today, Dec 26, is the final day to vote for one of our Classic Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our February group read and discussion.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Our selected Classic Science Fiction discussion topic for February is....

The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2) by Lois McMaster Bujold The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold

The discussion will begin February 1.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 524 comments Hooray!

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2663 comments I can check off that Space Opera slot on my new bingo card :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.