Broken Things
This topic is about Broken Things
Archive - Past Group Reads > Broken Things by Lauren Oliver

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3861 comments Mod
Broken Things by Lauren Oliver

It’s been five years since Summer Marks was brutally murdered in the woods.

Everyone thinks Mia and Brynn killed their best friend. That driven by their obsession with a novel called The Way into Lovelorn the three girls had imagined themselves into the magical world where their fantasies became twisted, even deadly.

The only thing is: they didn’t do it.

On the anniversary of Summer’s death, a seemingly insignificant discovery resurrects the mystery and pulls Mia and Brynn back together once again. But as the lines begin to blur between past and present and fiction and reality, the girls must confront what really happened in the woods all those years ago—no matter how monstrous.

Start Date: December 1st, 2018

message 2: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3861 comments Mod
I'm about 35% through the book already. Already some "not right" things are popping up in the story!

message 3: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3861 comments Mod
Finished!

Robin | 12 comments Sara wrote: "Finished!"

did you like it? it was kind of meh for me. i didn't hate it but i didn't really enjoy it either.

message 5: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3861 comments Mod
Robin wrote: "Sara wrote: "Finished!"

did you like it? it was kind of meh for me. i didn't hate it but i didn't really enjoy it either."

I felt the same. I didn't love it, but it was fun trying to figure out who did it. I definitely expected Lauren Oliver to cut out the last sentence though like she did.

For the longest time, I thought Summer did it to herself.

Robin | 12 comments yah that didn't surprise me either since she made such a big deal out of the fantasyland book being cut off mid-sentence. her books are hit-or-miss for me. some ive loved. some ive asked myself why did i read this? this one fell in the middle.

i actually did too for a good amount of it since she seemed to crave attention so much i thought it was very possible.

message 7: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3861 comments Mod
Robin wrote: "yah that didn't surprise me either since she made such a big deal out of the fantasyland book being cut off mid-sentence. her books are hit-or-miss for me. some ive loved. some ive asked myself why..."

Yes, exactly! She was so lonely and wanted attention that it seemed so likely.

So, I've read just three other of her books and I feel like they always fall right in the middle for me. Every single book I've read of hers I gave 3 stars

Robin | 12 comments Sara wrote: "Robin wrote: "yah that didn't surprise me either since she made such a big deal out of the fantasyland book being cut off mid-sentence. her books are hit-or-miss for me. some ive loved. some ive as..."

ive liked some enough that it makes me have interest in continuing to read her stuff. liked the delirium series and the replica duology. before i fall and this book were okay but i didn't hate them. didn't really care for panic, rooms, or vanishing girls.

message 9: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3861 comments Mod
Robin wrote: "Sara wrote: "Robin wrote: "yah that didn't surprise me either since she made such a big deal out of the fantasyland book being cut off mid-sentence. her books are hit-or-miss for me. some ive loved..."

Maybe those are the ones I need to get into. I haven't read Delirium or Replica. I've only read Panic, Vanishing Girls, and Leisel and Po .

Robin | 12 comments oh then you only read her crappier books (well in my opinion lol). definitely try the replica duology or delirium series. i thought both were worth reading (not why did i just read this reaction).

message 11: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3861 comments Mod
Robin wrote: "oh then you only read her crappier books (well in my opinion lol). definitely try the replica duology or delirium series. i thought both were worth reading (not why did i just read this reaction)."

Haha apparently I did! Okay I'll have to check out her other books then, I had them on my TBR list anyway.

Robin | 12 comments lol! hopefully you will like those better, too! :)