Reading Through the Ages discussion

Early Middle Ages (c.400-1000)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Dec 18, 2018 12:40AM) (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Early Middle Ages (c.400-1000): This does not have to be just in the UK, but could be anywhere in Europe or beyond during that time period.

List of suggestions: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Share and recommend books.

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (Eve's Alexandria) | 26 comments Mod
I'm planning on finally getting to The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson for this category. I've had it on my bookshelves for years and years.

I'd recommend Hild by Nicola Griffith to anyone who hasn't read it yet. It's an absolutely brilliant novel about the childhood of St Hilda of Whitby. If only Nicola would write a sequel!

message 3: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (sturnerstuff) | 15 comments Will be reading The Half-Drowned King later this month, so this should be a good fit in this category.

message 4: by Ruth Ann (new)

Ruth Ann (moodygrl00) Hild has been on my TBR for a while. I’m excited to start it today.

message 5: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 18 comments Ruth Ann wrote: "Hild has been on my TBR for a while. I’m excited to start it today."

I'm going to read Hild as well. I bought it a while back and never got to it.

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Karen Michele wrote: "Ruth Ann wrote: "Hild has been on my TBR for a while. I’m excited to start it today."

I'm going to read Hild as well. I bought it a while back and never got to it."

Ruth Ann wrote: "Hild has been on my TBR for a while. I’m excited to start it today."

Oh I hope you love it :)

message 7: by Nic (new)

Nic (bibliolicious_reads) | 24 comments I'm joining the Hild party :)

message 8: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (jodiebaker) | 2 comments I'm going to count Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom for this square as I just finished it. I've been meaning to start the series for a while as I really like the TV version. It didn't quite live up to his Warlord series about Arthur but was a solid story (a bit heavy on battle descriptions which felt a bit flat to me).

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Jodie wrote: "I'm going to count Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom for this square as I just finished it. I've been meaning to start the series for a while as I really like the TV version. It didn't quite live..."

I had the same with his book, good enough...

message 10: by Ruth Ann (new)

Ruth Ann (moodygrl00) I finished Hild last night. It was a challenge he for me. I loved the story and the people but despised the writing. Sadly the writing made it a 2 star read for me.

message 11: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (sturnerstuff) | 15 comments Victoria wrote: "I'm planning on finally getting to The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson for this category. I've had it on my bookshelves for years and years.

I picked up The Long Ships last month. I am on a bit of a Viking kick at the minute, with #Sagalong taking place on BookTube this month, and having just finished The Half-Drowned King for this challenge.

message 12: by Melanie (new)

Ruth Ann wrote: "I finished Hild last night. It was a challenge he for me. I loved the story and the people but despised the writing. Sadly the writing made it a 2 star read for me."

What a shame :( Not all books for all people, hope the next read will be better.

message 13: by Nic (new)

Nic (bibliolicious_reads) | 24 comments Nic wrote: "I'm joining the Hild party :)"

Returning to say that I finished it last weekend, and loved it.

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Nic wrote: "Nic wrote: "I'm joining the Hild party :)"

Returning to say that I finished it last weekend, and loved it."

Oh yay, so glad, it is a book that divides people but yeah, I loved it too