Reading Through the Ages discussion

Napoleonic Wars

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Dec 18, 2018 12:42AM) (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Napoleonic Wars. Biggest villain or impressive statesman? Historical fiction is a great way to explore this.

Some inspiration here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Share and recommend any books you may have read or will read.

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (Eve's Alexandria) | 26 comments Mod
I can come up with plenty of British military fiction for this one, but I'd be interested if anyone knows of any translated work set in this period. I'm planning on revisiting Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series, starting with Master and Commander but it would be good to read other sides to the story.

message 3: by Melanie (last edited Dec 30, 2018 12:40AM) (new)

Victoria wrote: "I can come up with plenty of British military fiction for this one, but I'd be interested if anyone knows of any translated work set in this period. I'm planning on revisiting Patrick O'Bri..."</i>

My absolute favourite set during that period is [book:Désirée
by Annemarie Selinko, she is as Austrian author born in 1914 who had to flee the Nazis and she wrote some wonderful books.

message 4: by Regina (new)

Regina Lemoine Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell also works for this. I just recently reread it on audiobook and it was just as good the second time around.

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Regina wrote: "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell also works for this. I just recently reread it on audiobook and it was just as good the second time around."

Oh, interesting choice, but yeah that could work.

Shaun  (Lost in Books, Film, and Floss) | 5 comments Can we double up prompts? The Temeraire Series by Naomi Novik is set in the Napoleonic Wars but has dragons, so could work for alternate history as well.

message 7: by Anja (new)

Anja | 9 comments I would like to recommend Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe-Series, which covers the whole war from the British pov. The first few books are actually set a bit before that, that's why I put Sharpe's Tiger in the Wild Card section (It's set in India in 1799 and is utterly brilliant).

message 8: by Melanie (new)

As for doubling up: totally

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Oh yes... Sharpe. I always wanted to read that

message 10: by Navi (new)

Navi (nvsahota) I'd recommend The Passion for this prompt!

message 11: by Melanie (new)

Navi wrote: "I'd recommend The Passion for this prompt!"

Added that to the group

message 12: by Natalie (new)

Natalie  | 5 comments Victoria wrote: "I can come up with plenty of British military fiction for this one, but I'd be interested if anyone knows of any translated work set in this period. I'm planning on revisiting [author:Patrick O'Bri..."

I completely forgot that I have a digital copy of this...yes, I'll add it to my priority tbr stack. thanks :-)

message 13: by Regina (new)

Regina Lemoine I just learned today that Shirley by Charlotte Bronte (published in 1849 and set 1811-1812) is set during the Napoleonic Wars and is about the Industrial Revolution. Amazon describes it as her only “historic novel.”

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Oh interesting Regine, you could combine three challenges: industrial revolution, Napoleonic wars and Victober!!!!

message 15: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (sturnerstuff) | 15 comments I know it is not considered one of her best books, but might go for Birdcage Walk given I have had it on my shelf for a couple of years

message 16: by Melanie (new)

Shaun wrote: "I know it is not considered one of her best books, but might go for Birdcage Walk given I have had it on my shelf for a couple of years"

Good choice, totally forgotten about that one.

message 17: by Eve (new)

Eve (goodreadscomeellison) | 4 comments The Coral Thief by Rebecca Stott. 1815, Paris, scientific intrigue in post- war coupled with a detective story.

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Eve wrote: "The Coral Thief by Rebecca Stott. 1815, Paris, scientific intrigue in post- war coupled with a detective story."

Oooh, that sounds good!!!

message 19: by Sandy (last edited Feb 02, 2019 10:41AM) (new)

Sandy (sanpaj) | 3 comments I would like to suggest a great non-fiction that I recently finished called The Black Count by Tom Reiss. It is about Alexandre Duma’s father who was a mulatto general in France. The majority of the second half of the book is set during the Napoleonic years. Dumas used some of his father’s true experiences in The Count of Monte Christo.

message 20: by Melanie (new)

Sandy wrote: "I would like to suggest a great non-fiction that I recently finished called The Black Count by Tom Reiss. It is about Alexandre Duma’s father who was a mulatto general in France. The majority of th..."

That sounds good, always been interested in Dumas' family!

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lavelle | 13 comments I've just finished The Girl who fought Napoleon by Linda Lafferty. This would also count as Russia before the revolution as it's from the Russian perceptive. It's based on true events and people. It didn't blow my socks off but it was ok xx

message 22: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 7 comments Sandy wrote: "I would like to suggest a great non-fiction that I recently finished called The Black Count by Tom Reiss. It is about Alexandre Duma’s father who was a mulatto general in France. The majority of th..."

I am currently reading this. It is fascinating. It's no wonder he was such an inspiration for his son's writing.

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sanpaj) | 3 comments Glad you are liking it. The Counte Of Monte Christo blew me away.
I recommend it so often, and when I saw this book I knew I had to read it.

message 24: by Melanie (new)

I made a video with some recommendations https://youtu.be/U5YhQ5Eg1pY

message 25: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 7 comments Sandy wrote: "Glad you are liking it. The Counte Of Monte Christo blew me away.
I recommend it so often, and when I saw this book I knew I had to read it."

I really enjoyed the The Count of Monte Cristo as well. I started reading The Black Count last year, it took me a while to get through it, but I loved it! I love history but have so many gaps in my knowledge, this book was an interesting perspective on both the Revolution and the Napoleonic Wars.

message 26: by Alba (new)

Alba | 2 comments The Black Count was absolutely mesmerizing! I learned so much about that period in history that I didn't know, beginning with my neighbors on Hispaniola. I would gladly reread it, except that Mel mentioned some other compelling titles.

message 27: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valroos) I was thinking of reading Michael Gregorio's Critique of Criminal Reason for this prompt - a historical crime fiction set in Koningsberg. From what I can gather it fits the time period.

message 28: by Nic (new)

Nic (bibliolicious_reads) | 24 comments I just finished Mauritius Command, the fourth book in Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series, for this challenge. I'd highly recommend the series, for anyone pondering whether to take the plunge!

message 29: by Nic (new)

Nic (bibliolicious_reads) | 24 comments Nic wrote: "I just finished Mauritius Command, the fourth book in Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series, for this challenge. I'd highly recommend the series, for anyone pondering whether to take the plunge!"

And as a result (I've just realised) I completed my first horizontal line on the bingo card...

message 30: by Ruth Ann (new)

Ruth Ann (moodygrl00) I read Ambition and Desire for this prompt. It is about Josephine, was well written and interesting to hear about her life and how she became the empress. I'm making it fit a bit since it's a biography and not historical fiction, but I'm ok with that.