Reading Through the Ages discussion

Roman Europe

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Dec 18, 2018 12:50AM) (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Roman Europe, pretty self-explanatory. Anything Rome and Roman.

Some suggestions here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Share and recommend any books you have read or will read.

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (Eve's Alexandria) | 26 comments Mod
Someone just recommended Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar to me for this prompt. It's another one I've had on my TBR for a really long time.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Victoria wrote: "Someone just recommended Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar to me for this prompt. It's another one I've had on my TBR for a really long time."

sounds good, have added it to the bookshelf

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Howe | 9 comments I’ll be reading The Eagle by Rosemary Sutcliff. It’s YA but she’s supposed to be a fabulous writer.

message 5: by Cathie (new)

Cathie Did Mel talk about that book in one of her videos? I sounds familiar.

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Kate wrote: "I’ll be reading The Eagle by Rosemary Sutcliff. It’s YA but she’s supposed to be a fabulous writer."

Goodness, I adore Sutcliff, I hope you like her books. They ruled my childhood.

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Cathie wrote: "Did Mel talk about that book in one of her videos? I sounds familiar."

I did, I adore that woman.

message 8: by Candace (new)

Candace | 6 comments I will get to Nero book #2 by Margaret George soon, The Splendor Before the Dark. Also I would really love to read I, Claudius. It is one of the oldest books on my TBR shelf.

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Candace wrote: "I will get to Nero book #2 by Margaret George soon, The Splendor Before the Dark. Also I would really love to read I, Claudius. It is one of the oldest books on my TBR shelf."

Haha, this challenge will push you to read that George book!!!

message 10: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (bonnie_poole) | 32 comments Just fyi... I don’t see any books on the Roman Europe Bookshelf. Although I’ve written down the excellent suggestions from the posts.

message 11: by Melanie (new)

Bonnie wrote: "Just fyi... I don’t see any books on the Roman Europe Bookshelf. Although I’ve written down the excellent suggestions from the posts."

Oh thanks, I shall go and check that out

message 12: by Melanie (new)

There are currently five on the shelf.

message 13: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 18 comments I can't see any books when I go to the link either. All of the rest come up fine.

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Karen Michele wrote: "I can't see any books when I go to the link either. All of the rest come up fine."

That is so odd. I am not sure what to do to fix that...

message 15: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (bonnie_poole) | 32 comments Don’t worry about the “bookshelf” Mel as we can just read through the comments here to look for suggestions. I read all the posts anyways as it’s a good way to learn what books one might really want to read, or not.

message 16: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 18 comments Yes, I am enjoying reading all of the suggestions and I am planning to read some that I've found!

message 17: by Orsolya (new)

Orsolya Toth | 1 comments The bookshelf comes up empty for me too, for some reason. In any case, for this prompt I will read I, Claudius from Robert Graves, which has been on my TBR for at least three years...

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Orsolya wrote: "The bookshelf comes up empty for me too, for some reason. In any case, for this prompt I will read I, Claudius from Robert Graves, which has been on my TBR for at least three years..."

How strange, I shall re-add the books to the shelf this weekend. Hope that this sorts it out :)

message 19: by Ruth Ann (last edited Aug 11, 2019 07:37AM) (new)

Ruth Ann (moodygrl00) I listened to Confessions of Young Nero and was fascinated by it. I'm always a fan of Margaret George. I'll probably listen to the second book for a wild card as well.

I also read Pompeii by Robert Harris which would fit this prompt. It was a quick and interesting read of the tragedy of Pompeii through the eyes of the aquarius in charge of taking care of the aqueduct. I'll use it for one of my wild card slots.

message 20: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 7 comments I read Medicus by Ruth Downie. I saw Mel recommend it on a video. I enjoyed it and am planning at some point to continue the series.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Memoirs of Hadrian (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marguerite Yourcenar (other topics)