2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2019 > Movieandbooksgirl 35 in "19

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashleigh (last edited Dec 12, 2018 06:44AM) (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) So far in 2018 I have read 33 books so I thought I would try and read 35 books in 2019. This will be a wide range of genre's including arcs from authors. I will do part reviews on here from each book however for the full review I will leave links to the blog post so that people are able to read them if they wish. If you would like to recommend me a book please do it on here or on my blog on a book review at www.movieandbooksgirl.com

I can't wait to see what the reading year holds for me and I hope to make some friends along the way

message 2: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3202 comments Good luck with your reading challenge!

message 3: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) Rachael wrote: "Good luck with your reading challenge!"

Thank you so much

message 4: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) Book #1 of 35 is complete

The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson

I absolutely loved this book and loved the mystery within it about who was stealing the children. I found that by having little parts about the patterns and defenses at the start of the chapter really helped the reader to understand some of the rithmatic patterns that was being talked about which made me enjoy this even more.

I can't wait for the second book to come out!

message 5: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #2 of 35 is complete

Life Begins for Brody Haller By Bob G. Miller

I thought that this book had a lot of adventure within it and kept me wondering what was really happening throughout it. I did think that this book was really gripping however and stole my attention whenever I was reading this. I did think there was a lot of things that was left unanswered however but overall a good book and one that I think people should give a read

message 6: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #3 of 35 is complete

The Mystery Knight: A Graphic Novel by George R.R. Martin

This book was a great way for me to get introduced to George R.R. Martin's work however I didn't realise that this was the third book so I feel that I missed some things prior which did leave me with questions.

I loved the artwork that was within this graphic novel though and do suggest that people pick it up

message 7: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #4 of 35 is complete

Dog Training - Pet Friendly: Understanding and Caring for Your Pet by Julia Barnes

This book is really easy to read and with great images of dogs all the way through as well as tips on how to help train a dog to do basic commands and about different sports in which dogs are able to participate in.

Good for those looking for a little guidance before getting a puppy

message 8: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #5 of 35

Chuck Steak by Casper Pearl

I thought that this book was really fast paced and something very different fro my usual read. Keeping the Killer a mystery till the ending was something which made me continuously guess about throughout which I did like. This book did stay with me afterwards though and did make me go WHAT which is something I find rare in books.
I did think however that the chapters weren't connected very well and I ended up getting confused a couple of times.

message 9: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #6 I Heart Vegas by Lindsey Kelk

This is the first book by Lindsey Kelk and I am so happy I decided to pick up this book, this book made me feel happy, laugh and even feel sad at times throughout it. I also thought it was good I didn't need to know the other books in the series in order to understand this book or enjoy it as much as I did.

Definitely a book in which I recommend you read if you are interested in the romance genre!

message 10: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) Just a reminder that I do movie and book reviews over on my blog www.movieandbooksgirl.com

book reviews every monday! Movies Tuesday-Friday!

message 11: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #7 Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

I found the idea of this novel really good however it just didn't fully grab my attention the way that I wish it did. I really think there needs to be a little more information on the characters however the adventure within the book was really fun to read. I did think that the twist was really predictable however has made me want to read the other books in the series.

message 12: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #8 The Surrogate by Louise Jensen

I found myself loving this book and the mystery of this movie. Having both sides from then to the now was something I thought gave a lot of insight into the characters and made you really feel for them. The ending did shock me which was something else I really liked as well as it made me scared at times which did make me have to take a break at numerous times of the novel.

This is the first book of Louise Jensen's I have read and I can guarantee it wont be the last.

message 13: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #9 Augur of Shadows by Jacob Rundle

I thought that this book had a good story line and made me want to see what was going to happen throughout. As the first book of the series I thought that it was well written and left me wondering what was going to happen in the next book.

message 14: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #10

Spellbound by Sylvia Day

This book is written really well and I liked seeing how the characters grew and the obsticles they overcame to make their love possible. I do think that the sex scenes are a bit too much however and is focused on that but I do enjoy this book.

message 15: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #11

Emily Windsnap and the Falls of Forgotten Island by Liz Kessler

I think that this is a great adventure book for children and one that I would recommend. Although this is the first I have read in the series I am no wanting to read the others and see I have missed from the previous books and find a new love for the characters. I would recommend this book to children who are looking for an adventure book which also involves fantasy within it. Also for those who are looking for a new series of books to read. I would read this book again!

message 16: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #12 The Hidden People by Alison Littlewood

I found this book really hard for me to get into and one that after I was reading was really struggling to remember what I had actually read. Not only this but I really struggled to understand what the characters of the village were actually saying, as well as this I found some of the language used in the novel were words I didn't know and did make me struggle to fully understand what I was reading. I did think that it did have a good twist at the ending though that did make me actually surprised which was good but overall this just wasn't a book for me.

full review on www.movieandbooksgirl.com

message 17: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #13 Classic Goosebumps #32: Please Don't Feed the Vampire! by R.L. Stine

I personally love that with this book the reader is able to choose how the story develops which really brings the reader into the story. With having it able to go in two separate ways at the beginning of the book with either the person becoming a vampire or the dog becoming a vampire there is different paths in which can make you read it over and over. With over ten different ways the story can end as well there is a lot of ways this book can keep you entertained and scared.

message 18: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #14 Hit Em Up by Jus Blaze

This is a really good action book and I enjoyed how this was really well paced which still showed how the characters developed.

The only thing I didn't really like about this book and annoyed me a lot was the language in which was used within it and how some of the structure of the book didn't really make sense to me at points

message 19: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #15 Depravity by M.J. Haag

This book was written at a pace in which I really enjoyed and kept me wanting to know what would happen next, so much so that right after finishing the book I had to buy the other two in the series in order to find out what happened next! This did surprise me but it was done in the right way and I look forward to seeing how this trilogy progresses. I would recommend this book to those who are wanting to read a Beauty and the Beast retelling and doesn't mind some adult content within it.

Full review on www.movieandbooksgirl.com

message 20: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #16 - Deceit by M.J. Haag

I loved how this book continues on from the previous really well and that you do need to have read the first book in order to fully enjoy the second book. Showing how Benella also changed from being an innocent teenager to becoming a woman with the help of the sisters at a brothel and from the Beast himself showed how the character was developing as well as understanding her love for the Beast. Not only this but by showing how the Beast became that way and understanding how to break the curse I thought was a vital part of the book and with the ending being a shock to the reader and not really knowing what will happen to Benella now that the Lord is back to his human self as well as the baker having tried to rape her leaves the reader shocked and feeling sorry on her as well as wanting to know what will happen next.

Brilliant sequel to the first book and can't wait to read the final book in the series to discover what happens next.

message 21: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #17 Devastation by M.J. Haag

I thought that Devastation ended the trilogy really well and I loved how it went from how the Beast is now human however Rose is still calling the shots and wanting to make sure that he is able to do his role as Lord well before leaving him be. Not only this but I liked how it touched on how Benella doesn't want to be touched and has no confidence in men since the abuse she has went through and has to battle through it and learn to trust again. The pace of this was brilliant and I was so happy about the way that this ended which made me smile a lot and love the characters more as well as had me not wanting to put the book down once I started it.

message 22: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #18 Skin and Other Stories by Roald Dahl

I thought that these short stories were really good and very different from the Roald Dahl that I am used to. I personally thought however that the further into the book that I got the less exciting and chilling the stories got which did upset me however. This is a book I would recommend to those who like short stories.

message 23: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #19 Illuminae by Amie Kaufman

I actually enjoyed this story a lot more than I expected however I wasn't a fan of the way that it was written which made me not care about the characters at all and when something happened didn't really bother me as a result. However, I did find that I was wanting to know what would happen further into the book and enjoyed the book. I also thought that some of the pages and the layout of the book was unique and really pretty to actually go through.

message 24: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #20 Time Travel by Roxanne San Jose

I thought that this book read more like a draft than a finished piece of writing. With some of the grammar wrong as well as some of the sentences not making sense to me personally. I also thought that the character's all started to feel the same as each other so when it didn't say who was talking as well as with the characters not behaving as I would expect I was getting a little confused.

I did like the idea behind the story however and loved how it showed not only the past but also how they came to adapt in different times as well from 3015, 1970 and 2015.

message 25: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #21 Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett

Having not known anything about this book before I picked it up this book really surprised me with just how much I enjoyed it. Not only this but the twists and the new world really interested me and kept me captivated by what I was reading. This book made me not want to put it down and knowing it it part of a trilogy has me excited for the next book in the series.

message 26: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #22 Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe by Debbie Johnson

This isn't my usual type of read but this book was so sweet and really brought me into their story. I found once I picked it up I didn't want to put it down and loved seeing how Laura grew within the book and that the character of Matt was so sweet to her and understanding of her past. This book made me laugh out loud which is rare for me to do and made me smile a lot as well and even tear up at one point. This is a book in which I am glad is part of a series as I am looking forward to seeing what happens next at the Comfort Food Cafe.

message 27: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #23 A Throne for Sisters

I thought that this was a good way to introduce the characters in the book and to really understand the world in which the girls are living in. I think by showing that there was other people who were also able to hear thoughts was interesting and made me want to read more in order to find out about the town in which people are apparently like them. This was a good book and I am happy to have discovered it

message 28: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) #24 Rivers of London

I thought that this book initially took a while to get into and took about 100 pages for me to become invested. However, after that I really started to enjoy the story and the crime and started to try and put the pieces together. I thought that it was good also having a smaller crime to focus on instead of always the main one but how it ended up tying together really well. I thought that this was an original story and I can't wait to read the next in the series to find out what happens next.

message 29: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) Finished book 25 and 26 which were Dragon Rider and Closer

message 30: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Miller (movieandbooksgirl) Finished 27 and 28 with As Old As Time and A Shocker on Shock Street